• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fix for Front Torque Arm Cracks?

P
Apr 9, 2010
Sartell, MN
Has anybody had their front torque arm crack like this in a couple spots? Just wondering what success people have had welding these with durability...I'd rather not buy a new one for $220!!!!...maybe adding some gussets for added strength would help as well? Pics of some examples would be great
beer_cheers.gif

072.jpg 073.jpg

L
Jan 26, 2010
N. IL.
The rear torque arm on my 09 Assault sheared in half. The metal is so thin, I would hesitate to weld the old one. I bought a new one and used it to build a jig for building my own, using slightly thicker metal. I would buy a new one and have it reinforced. Lightweight sleds are built using VERY thin metal.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I have fixed them on older edge sleds..never an issue..figure on replacing the aluminum inner shaft..leave the old one in for welding..then add a 1/8" gusset in the corners(about 2"x2")..one thing though..the newer sleds are pretty thin material..the heat from welding may make the steel brittle..i do have the full set of arms from my 08 dragon 163 skid(replaced with a holz skid and had to reuse a couple of shafts, bolts and cross peices..rest of the stock stuff is sitting her collecting dust .. will make you a deal on it if you want them)...

P
Apr 9, 2010
Sartell, MN
I'm interested AKSnowrider! Looks like front torque arm part# I need is the same as what you have....shoot me a PM with what you want for it shipped to 56377. So if I buy yours and want to beef that one up with gussets won't I run into the same problem?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
yes you would...only difference is you wont be doing all the repair welds where its cracked..which would allow for less heat overall....normally if you crack these arms..its from either hitting something(stump,rock) or from bottoming the susppension hard enough to drive the rail stops into the cross bar hard...so....stiffen the suspension a little bit or stop hitting big hard things...lol....will get a pic of what i got tonite and pm you....

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Good info, on mine the paint is cracking.
Edit. I'm lost. I am talking about the front brace in the engine bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I've seen them crack from lack of lubrication or using wheel bearing grease when it gets too cold.

Before welding, I'd suggest some kind of strip/clean as the grease from the shaft will have contaminated the cracks and result in a poor weld.

Most people I've seen in the field do not grease their suspension regularly.

P
Apr 9, 2010
Sartell, MN
Most people I've seen in the field do not grease their suspension regularly.[/QUOTE]

This wasn't from lack of regular LUBE.....Now that I think about it when I bought the sled I changed out the stock #160 front shock spring to the #225 version and noticed the plastic cover all chewed up on the top probably from bottoming out a few times pretty harshly. The arm could've been cracked then and I didn't notice. This time around I did when grease started purging out!

On a side note I'm going to change the front skid shock position to the lower hole to help decrease weight transfer etc. Would that put even more stress on that torque arm? Looks like it would be a better angle and put more on the shock....I'm getting rear skid shocks rebuilt this summer-Should I let them know about the position change or doesn't it matter?

Premium Features