• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dragon Happy Thoughts

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
We see enough threads pointing out problems with the Dragons, and I don't debate that there are some real issues that people are seeing that Polaris is or is not addressing. However, I love my Dragon and have not had any concerns at all to date. It flat out rips. Let's hear from others who are happy with their trouble free sled. Don't bother posting your problems or warnings, there are plenty of threads for that.

I have a 2010 D8 155 that I have made almost zero mods to. I have not had any stumbles, misses or bogs and it makes really good power. It isn't quite as strong as the 800r on my previous XP, but very close. However, the handling and enjoyment factor is way higher than the Doo. It has right around 1000 miles on it, and the only warranty work has been on a shock that lost pressure and an exhaust valve spring that they found an issue with. I only run name-brand non-ethanol fuel and use Polaris oil. I will probably buy an extended warranty for peace of mind, and will likely upgrade to a Pro and hand the Dragon down - but only because I need another sled. I really like the Dragon.

D
Dec 3, 2009
Northern Utah
Dragon

Well im like you i have had zero problems with mine. Its a 2010 Dragon 800 163 with 600 miles on it now and still going strong. I love this sled bye far the funnist sled i have own. Just had the 500 mile checkup a month ago and they said it still looks and runs like new except for afew tree scarches it awsome. Still out riding it tell there isnt enough snow togo.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
2009 Assault, no problems at all. I love it. High compression head, pipe mod, better boards, stretched it to 155", venting.

I am changing the pistons to be pro-active on the motor problem.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
2007 Dragon 700 running strong for 5 seasons without any issues! Mods affecting the engine; SLP intake vents, air horn, pipe and can, and clutching.

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
2000 miles on a 09 D8, always ran non ethanol gas, always let it warm up to 120 before leaving the truck and when ever I stopped or got stuck while riding. No problems at all, the only time it was at the dealer was to do the 2010 update. I did just sell it and snow checked a PRO.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Pretty much stock 2009 d8 163 only chassis mods with a can, 2200 trouble free miles

my turbo (which has been in three different chassis now just from abuse) has lost 1 motor due to a piston skirt failure but that was over 7000 miles trouble free. (new top end had 180ish miles on it when it went down:( ), now have another 800 miles on a new motor trouble free

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I have had no problems with my 09 dragon and I gave that to my wife so I could get an 08 dragon with a turbo. I love these sleds.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
09 800 155 IQ RAW Performance Partner sled..just under 2000 miles of PURE FRICKING JOY! Sled flat out rips...totally reliable...very very fast...handles like a dream!

If you do nothing but sit around and read snowest forum all day long you'd be terrified to own one...on the other hand if you ride this sled all day long you'd be a COCKY as I am about it!@

Has all of the world's finest aftermarket components like fox evol x, holz alpha x, better boards and better bars, carl's setup and clutching, slp exhaust, rsi, ect ect. Ridiculous money spent on this buggy and you can FEEL IT.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
I have the 08 and the 09 D8, and have loved them both. They have around 2500 miles on them, and have never left me in the woods to be toed back to the trailer. The 08 had the full SLP set up from carl's, and runs very well, (halfcase is on it now), The 09 is far from stock, all work done by carl's and it has been nothing but gas and go from the word gitty up. I am very happy with both and will continue to put my money on polaris.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
07 D7 and 09 D8 and loved them both. Not a single motor problem this side of two pipe sensors from a mod I did. Did head mods on both and they ripped. The D8 needed a camo extreme track and better shocks along with BB's. I wish I would have kept my D8 but I needed the $8400 I sold it for the Pro. I still keep my eyes open for someone giving away a D8. I'll take it and rip on it all day!

G

green_denali

Dec 14, 2009
Anchorage, AK
2010 D8 155, havent had one problem with this sled, flat out rips,
the only mods so far are evol-x shocks, alpha-x rear skid, holz spindles,
clutched, & slp can, (but will be getting the slp single pipe set for next season.)

S

Stilldraggin

Dec 31, 2010
SE Nebraska
Hey, first of all, kuddos on starting this thread! I picked up a 08 700 dragon with a 155 back in December. I jumped on it and fell in love with this machine! I ride normally with all 800's (one dragon and two skidoos), and granted I weigh less than my buddies, this sled took my everywhere they went! Starts good, runs effeciently, stretches my arms out.

There, I feel better. Its really nice being able to brag about a sled to others who feel the same way. Sure its good to know about certain problems a motor may have or what little tricks and tips can make this hobby of ours even more fun, but in my opinion, if you hate Polaris that much stay out of the dealerships! I'm sure the other brands will tick you off also!

Sorry, couldn't take all griping!

S
Dec 15, 2007
Kelowna BC
After 3 years and 1500 trouble free miles I finaly traded my 09 D800 in on a snowcheck pro.I also have a 09 RMK 700 that is my wifes [and my backup:face-icon-small-sho]Neither sled has missed a beat and other than the engine update no warranty work required.D800 was stock except HPS can,BetterBoards,2" riser.On a side note I did 77 miles on a 163 pro demo yesterday and all I can say is WOW.Polaris makes the best sleds hands down.I have ridden a 2010 everest 154,09 HCR.10M8 all this spring and none compare to the polaris.M's are nice but the engine vibrates right thru the bars where as the polaris is smooth

09 800 rmk, replaced factory updated pistons with the fix kit recently at 800 miles. Have around 1000 miles on it now, love this sled. Never left me stranded or went down on me. With the PC5 and the kit it really rips! Lookin for a pipe now and maybe stretch it to a 163:face-icon-small-coo

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I too have read the horror stories of the trouble others have had, and just shake my head in disbelief....

My experience....is that I guess I got two of the 'good ones"! I have never had a single engine problem with either the "stock" 08 D800 163 or the "boosted" one. 1600 miles so far, and they both run incredibly well. No complaints whatsoever! In fact, i don't even know of a single person in this area with an '08 - '10 dragon that has had an engine go down.

Have always run extra oil in the gas tank, warmed up the engine good before riding, and again after stopping for a period of time, vary the throttle on the trail, used Redline oil, good maintenance, and 91 octane non-ethanol gas.

Cheers!

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
'09 163 with 1250 trouble free miles over two seasons c/w usual upgrades Great sled!!! Warranty is now done, so I will also install the "Fix" kit this summer just because. Expect many more trouble free miles of use!

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
My experience with Poo.... 07 700 (sold last week) ran flawless, as well as my 08 800 163, 4700 miles without a stumble (sold as well) and my 09 800,155 still running like a champ. Now I can't brag totally trouble free anymore, but still a very happy Polaris customer. My 09 800, 163 dropped a cylinder skirt last month at 800 miles, of course pics were sent to Poo and not only did they ship what they call a short block, (it was a complete engine with heads) the sled was down for 12 days total. Oh and I do have a 2011 Assault with just shy of 1000 very hard, trouble free miles!!! Don't think I will be jumping ship anytime soon!!!!

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
My experience with Poo.... 07 700 (sold last week) ran flawless, as well as my 08 800 163, 4700 miles without a stumble (sold as well) and my 09 800,155 still running like a champ. Now I can't brag totally trouble free anymore, but still a very happy Polaris customer. My 09 800, 163 dropped a cylinder skirt last month at 800 miles, of course pics were sent to Poo and not only did they ship what they call a short block, (it was a complete engine with heads) the sled was down for 12 days total. Oh and I do have a 2011 Assault with just shy of 1000 very hard, trouble free miles!!! Don't think I will be jumping ship anytime soon!!!!

Good to hear your dealer & Polaris took care of you. Was the 09 D-8 still under warranty and did it have any mods? Did it take the lower end out?

akrevrider

Premium Features