• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP Magnum Force Weights

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I plan on buying a set to try this winter, you lose the clicker feature but quickly adjustable with a Allen wrench. And you don’t need to pry the clutch open to Make adjustments.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Good idea!!

BUT

lose clickers:face-icon-small-sho
lose pivot adjustment:face-icon-small-sho
aggressive profile? sounds great for an MXZ but not for a summit (doo has 4 850 profiles for a reason) granted it could mean aggressive summit?:present:
no QRS change? not a good idea if the pdrive is getting more aggressive:face-icon-small-win

set screws are a good idea to tune TIP weight!:face-icon-small-coo-BJ

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Have a set ordered after talking with SLP for about a hour the other day. Worth a try...

Last edited:

SLP

Premium Member
Hello guys, I see you've got some questions on our new weights and thought I might pop in with some answers.

We are really excited with what Ski-Doo has done with the P-Drive Clutch. There are many improvements over the TRA, but there are also some things that could be better. Our new Magnum Force Clutch Weights address the problems that we have while enhancing the performance too. The Magnum Force set includes a whole new weight assembly to replace the complete stock assembly (including the the clicker). They also include set screws and an Allen t-handle for quick and easy adjustments.

The 850 Ski-Doo engine is like a tractor on the bottom with loads of low-end power. Because of the way it is clutched from the factory, the engagement RPM is higher than it needs to be (where the clutch engages enough to physically drive the track). This delay in shifting leaves a fair about of power on the table. Our Magnum Force weight is heel heavy. This brings the engagement down a bit (with our recommend spring, to around 2800 RPM) and gets much better grip on the belt at lower RPMs. The added belt squeeze not only reduces the belt heat (especially in the low rpm areas), but also helps us take advantage of the 850's impressive low-end torque curve and shows you the awesome power this new engine really has. HOLD TIGHT to the bars once you have got our clutch kit installed, as the throttle response is instant!

The old TRA clickers worked great. The new P-Drive clickers are not as functional. Clicker settings 3 and 4 work ok on the P-Drive, but the other settings do not give the expected change in RPM the way the old clicker system did. Our set screws are very consistent and predictable and making changes is very simple and quick, as it does not require removing the weight from the clutch to make an adjustment (see attached picture).

The stock QRS belt deflection adjustment on the secondary clutch is maintained, and belt deflection should be checked and adjusted as needed (the same as it should in stock form). We like it fairly tight, about an inch to an inch and a quarter.

These weights and our Power Shift Clutch Kit are in stock, available immediately from us and our dealers. If you have any other questions, please call or email us:
slp@slp.cc

Attachments

• Magnum Force Ski-Doo.jpg
    Magnum Force Ski-Doo.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,220
  • Magforce skidoo weights only.jpg
    Magforce skidoo weights only.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 239
A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I just installed my magnaforce weights today.

I noticed they are lighter than stock. My sea level setup weights 83 grams and the magnaforce weights are 77 grams full of set screws . Is this going to be heavy enough? Unfortunately no snow to test right now.

Also what secondary spring are you recommending? Black is stock for sea level are the blue spring? Tried to ask the person I ordered from couldn’t give me a great answer.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
I just installed my magnaforce weights today.

I noticed they are lighter than stock. My sea level setup weights 83 grams and the magnaforce weights are 77 grams full of set screws . Is this going to be heavy enough? Unfortunately no snow to test right now.

Also what secondary spring are you recommending? Black is stock for sea level are the blue spring? Tried to ask the person I ordered from couldn’t give me a great answer.

Weight is not everything. How the ramp is shaped affects shifting too since the shape decides the leverage of the weight through the shifting range.

If we speak "polaris" for a while it is like comparing a 10-series weight to an 11-series weight of the same base weight. Completely different behavior.

SLP

Premium Member
There are a couple of things going on differently with our clutch kit compared to the stock weight. Because our shift profile and mass distribution are more efficient at getting the clutch to move, the magnum force weights do not require as much weight to get the same shift force when comparing to a stock Ski-Doo weight. We are also running less spring tension, which requires less weight for similar shift characteristics.

If you end up needing a little more weight than what our standard kit provides, then I would suggest using some of our projected tip screws. They will allow you to add some more weight to the tip. (see attached picture). If you are going to use them, you add the projected tip set screw to the empty Magnum Force weight and then stack the rest of the screws on top.

Attachments

• set screw heavy.jpg
    set screw heavy.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,111
A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
It’s low close to 3,000 rpms on my gauge. 165/350 spring for low elevation is what they sent me. No snow yet so no ride report.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
There are a couple of things going on differently with our clutch kit compared to the stock weight. Because our shift profile and mass distribution are more efficient at getting the clutch to move, the magnum force weights do not require as much weight to get the same shift force when comparing to a stock Ski-Doo weight. We are also running less spring tension, which requires less weight for similar shift characteristics.

If you end up needing a little more weight than what our standard kit provides, then I would suggest using some of our projected tip screws. They will allow you to add some more weight to the tip. (see attached picture). If you are going to use them, you add the projected tip set screw to the empty Magnum Force weight and then stack the rest of the screws on top.

Also you can just buy long solid setscrews to replace the short little things.
(Or tungsten inserts)

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Got mine in my 2019 175 tonight. Engagement is right around 3000 RPM. Even with the 170-400 primary that the 175 comes with.

Going try them out tomorrow/tune them in.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Doubt I’m going to try the SLP spring. I like to try my own combos.

The 175s come from the factory with the 170-400 primary.

I am at 61-6200 ft starting, most riding is from 7000-10,000ft.

If these Magnum Force weights will produce that nice low engagement on the snow I’ll be super happy. Not a huge fan of virtually 5000 RPM( 4000 on concrete )with the 175 once in the powder.

I’ll report more after tomorrow, should be able to get some good testing done.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
So after yesterday, the SLP weights feel pretty good. Smooth shifting, seem to pull throughout the RPM band. RPM stays fairly well, I need to adjust a bit more there, just didn’t take the time to get it there yesterday, since a guy I was with had to be back early.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
What primary spring are you using at 1000-4500 ft?

165/350

Yellow purple blue spring

I only have a short ride down the power line with these weights but seem to pull very hard. For low elevation I had to buy longer set screws, what they provided was not heavy enough at 400 ft elevation.

Premium Features