• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 Polaris iq 800 - I have a chance to buy one - is it buyer beware?

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Fact...after checking a LOT of these motors...after update compression will be from 95-110 lbs depending on altitude checked at, :faint: with the correct 08 high compression head 120-135. :becky: We have swapped heads around and the best thing you can do to raise compression is use the 08 head, it also has a much better combustion chamber. I also have done a leakdown test on a lot of these, the 95 psi motor had 3% leakage and thats about as good as it gets. Compression test does not tell you that much about motors condition as far as ring seal ect, get a proper leakdown test done and see what she seals at. 105 with 3-10% leak is good for a 09-10 motor.

I
Feb 6, 2011
Thanks all for your comments- it is all very helpful.
I really like this machine and I am trying to make sure of any purchase decision here.
I dont know what my dealers deal is, as he is adamant about the 125 lbs. He must not know that the compression should be less after the update. He has no prior knowledge of this sled or it's owner. I seem to trust what I hear on these forums, more.
The compression was done in the Twin Cities, I believe our elevation is 1000 ft or close to that. Compression was done on a cold (not started) engine.
The detonation thing concerns me.
My wife is nervous and doesn't want me to purchase especially after reading these posts.
What does the fuel controller issue and what is that to install and maintain?
I know some of you have a bad taste in your mouth and some are flat out not Polaris people.
I am a polaris only guy and I want something that will perform as good or better than my 2007 600 cfi.
Previous owner says that he had warranty work done on the original engine- they redid the top end PRIOR TO THE UPDATE. Then, he returned to the dealer to have the updates done- the Polaris kit. He had not run the engine on the first rebuild before the second (recall) one was done.
Is this sled worth $4700.00 as I have described it?
Thanks
Mark

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
a big no from me.for that kind of money buy a 09 or newer cherry m8,yamaha or skidoo and be a happy sledder next year.

I
Feb 6, 2011
If not this one, I have about $5000.00 to spend. Looking for a sled that will compare in performance to the 800 with the ride of the Iq- what do you recommend?

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
I'd have to say $4700 is too much for the sled as described - in trade on a new one, it would be worth about $3500 IF a dealer would take it. Since the 800 Rush has been well-received, many dealers have had a lot of IQ's traded in, so the owners only option may be an outright sale. He'll have to do better than that if he expects to sell, unless he is willing to sit until December and gamble on early snow. For comparison, earlier in the season, there were a couple midwestern dealers with carry-over IQ 800s for around $6500. As far as what else you might be able to buy, you may be able to get into a Pro-ride (Rush) 600 for that kind of $$, perhaps even a Rush 800 if it has some miles. There were lots of snowcheck sales and some dealers may have demo's or trades sitting around and some may be willing to push them out the door early at a discount if they have a willing buyer.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I have not read any of these but I have a 09 dragon with like 1900 miles on it. pretty much stock with zero problems. I just bought a turbo 08 dragon for a extremely good price. I really like these sleds and have had very good luck with them.

Premium Features