• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mechanical seal

F

Flange509

Dec 1, 2007
Colorado
Anyone know how deep to set the mechanical seal on the water pump shaft, when rebuilding the motor decided to replace the seal and didn't get a measurement on how deep the inside of the seal sets down on the shaft.
Got everything back together and now it leaks through the weep hole.
Its a 08' 800 RMK

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
I used a socket that is the same diameter as the raised part of the seal housing and set it all the way in (didn't set it all the way in to begin with and had the same problem as you)

R
Aug 7, 2009
pinetop az
The water pump impeler is suposed to push it the last little bit.
Put the water pump impeller on and mark that spot.
Then drive it just shy of that mark.
Rob

mtnclimber19

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2008
Sheridan, wy
Its a 2 part seal and both parts have to go on together and straight or you will be doing it again. Took me 3 trys on my 08 d7. The last one we used 2 diff. sockets I believe, and would tap one part back a tiny bit then the next until the lip was all the way against the case. Smear some grease on the back side and the shaft, it helps it slide in easier and also helps seal. Just dont let the back part pull away from the front, I don't know if I making any sense for you or not, good luck.

F

Flange509

Dec 1, 2007
Colorado
Pretty sure I have the center part in too far, gonna bug the dealer for the tool to set it right and try again

Premium Features