• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Calling all Large M sled riders

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
I'm 6'4" and 260, just bought a new '08 M1000 Sno Pro and am curious what all you large fellows have been doing to your M's to make up for being heavier than your average rider?

I'll soon upgrade to a complete SLP exhaust but for this season I'm going to have to do with just a Boss high-rise, SLP can, and some short bar risers. Dealer said I could get away with a 3" riser without doing cable extensions so thats what I'll run for now. (should put me within an inch or two of just right)

I'm really interested in what you guys have done to your clutching (I ride 1000 to 5000 feet, and 1500 to 3000 90% of the time) We don't get a ton of bottomless powder either, mostly wet fluf and spring snow) I heard that the 08 secondary isn't adjustable, so the recommendation was to put an 07 helix in it or go with the black diamond conversion. Your thoughts? Will I want to do this the first time I get on the thing? I had much trouble with my last new sled when I first bought it, so I'm a bit leery. ('00 T-cat 136)

Any suggestions other than turbo, nitrous, or a diet?

I don't intend to be king of any hill, but I do like to hill climb. I love boondocking, but have to ride trails to get to the playing. I don't want to sacrifice any one area to greatly benefit another. Just looking to have a good all around sled that will make me smile from ear to ear.

If your a normal sized rider and have suggestions I'd love to hear what you have to say, but please quantify your suggestions with experience if you can. I know enough about this stuff to know that what works for a 180 lb rider isn't likely going to work very well for a 270 lb rider. If you've got a buddy that has had good luck with mods for heavy riders please post up what you know. I'm all ears. :)

Last edited:
W
Jan 2, 2008
fastlane makes a steering post that is +4 inches

you might need something stronger than stock anyways
steering%20post.jpg

I think that is what I would do next time

can't help you with the clutching, other than to find someone that knows there chit and isn't selling stuff.
last I heard the 08 clutching was great out the box, for M8 anyways.

Last edited:

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
I'm 6' 3" 220 lbs. not as big as you. I would put at least a 4" riser. i put on a ole 4" riser that fit now problem on my 08 M1000. I could have put on a 5" if i would have re-routed my throttle cable to the Mag side of the engine. I put on a Speedwerx Y-pipe, boss high rise, clutch vents, MBRP can, sledjunky team conversation on the secondary, Air box mod, Attitude box, and some bling. I have a Bikeman single that i might try. if you want to adjust the secondary try the sledjunky clutch mod. it will backshift like crazy. The sled runs great. The M sleds boondocks and handle great in the powder. The new suspension soaks up the bumps good. If you are bigger just up the pressure in the shock. We get deep dry powder here in Utah so i don't know how it will handle in wet snow. Just ride it you will love it. Good Luck:beer;

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
fastlane makes a steering post that is +4 inches

you might need something stronger than stock anyways
steering%20post.jpg

I think that is what I would do next time

last I heard the 08 clutching was great out the box, for M8 anyways.

I like the longer steering post idea much better than risers, maybe I should just build my own. Thank you for the picture, I'll get on fastlanes website and see whats up.

I talked to one of the guys at work that had the SLP exhaust and boondocker, who happens to be almost the exact same size as me, he recomended SLP's weight kit and a blue polaris spring (or the spring that you get from SLP) He said it lowered his engagement rpm and made the sled really easy to feather out of the hole when stuck. This was for his 07 if that matters.

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
I'm 6' 3" 220 lbs. not as big as you. I would put at least a 4" riser. i put on a ole 4" riser that fit now problem on my 08 M1000. I could have put on a 5" if i would have re-routed my throttle cable to the Mag side of the engine. I put on a Speedwerx Y-pipe, boss high rise, clutch vents, MBRP can, sledjunky team conversation on the secondary, Air box mod, Attitude box, and some bling. I have a Bikeman single that i might try. if you want to adjust the secondary try the sledjunky clutch mod. it will backshift like crazy. The sled runs great. The M sleds boondocks and handle great in the powder. The new suspension soaks up the bumps good. If you are bigger just up the pressure in the shock. We get deep dry powder here in Utah so i don't know how it will handle in wet snow. Just ride it you will love it. Good Luck:beer;

Do you have to extend the brake hose with a 5" riser? I don't have a problem moving the throttle cable to the mag side so long as I dont have to tear the whole sled apart. I've heard that quite a few guys have been breaking the throttle cable extension kits that my dealer sells so I really don't want to go that route. Maybe I can find a different brand and order it online.

I can't wait to try out the air shocks, the concept of compressing a gas instead of a spring has always seemed like a good idea for this application, but for some reason "air" shocks have taken a really long time to catch on for snowmobiles. Has anyone noticed how much temperature effects your valving? Can you adjust the fluid volume like the off-road air shocks to change the ride height?

Please forgive the newbie questions, I haven't picked up my new sled yet. I need to get the manual. :D

B
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, Wa.
I'm 6'3". I installed a set of king cat bars that were $55.00 at the dealer and it gave me 4.25" raise. No rerouting or lengthening involved. Feels good not having to hunch over while standing.:)

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
Big Boyz

I sure hope that Fastlane steering post is stronger than stock, my brother is on his 2nd steering post in under 200 miles...

I am 6'4" & 240 lbs.

I have a 3" AMP riser which works for me, I don't think the steering post can handle much more height - as I reef on the thing with all my weight when I lay it on it's side for a full throttle boondocking powder brodie.

As for the additional mods over a can - get used to the sled & then add as you go.
I think you will be impressed & beyond when your reference point is a 136" Thundercat.
The M-Series chassis with the brute of the 1000cc mill is a winning combination for shredding powder.
Did you go with the 153" or 162" track?

Have fun with that bad boy...

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
I sure hope that Fastlane steering post is stronger than stock, my brother is on his 2nd steering post in under 200 miles...

I am 6'4" & 240 lbs.

I have a 3" AMP riser which works for me, I don't think the steering post can handle much more height - as I reef on the thing with all my weight when I lay it on it's side for a full throttle boondocking powder brodie.

3" will be fine for now, we are right in the prime of our season here and I don't want to miss any of it because of a broken steering shaft, etc. I'll definately be looking at upgrading the strength of the shaft once I get some miles on it.

I think you will be impressed & beyond when your reference point is a 136" Thundercat.

My current sled is a 900 MC with a 150x2.5x16 challenger extreme, slp can and skis, and a boss seat. Its set up perfect for a guy my size and definately runs good. WAY better than my old T-cat for the kind of riding I like to do, although not nearly as fast on top end.

The M-Series chassis with the brute of the 1000cc mill is a winning combination for shredding powder.
Did you go with the 153" or 162" track?

I went with the 153 since I'm not as competitive as I used to be and I grew up on 121 sleds. Even a "little" 153 is a stretch of the imagination for me.

Premium Features