• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ever seen this??? Sparkplug gap closed?

T
Nov 27, 2007
Eastern Washington St
07 Summit 800r w/SLP head. Using BR9-ES plugs gaped at .031.
Have rode over 300 miles on them so far. The other day it started missing acting like a fouled plug.
Pulled them and found one that the gap had closed completely up on??
Any ideas as to why?

spark plug1.jpg

G

GONRIDIN

It could be caused by detonation if you are running the wrong SLP head for your elevation or you got a bad batch of fuel. You may want to call SLP and ask them to double check the part number on your domes to make sure they are corect for where you ride.

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
Last time I saw that, I changed the plug and tried to get back to the truck...ran good for a few minutes...then...boooooommmmmmmmm!!!

K
Dec 25, 2007
8 out of 10 times it's detnonation.... look for small specks around base and electrode... the specs are from the piston and a tell tale sign of detnonation...

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
my old 99 rmk started missing one day and i pulled the plugs and had the same problem, put new plugs in and about an hour later was climbing a hill and the crank snapped at the bottom rod pin, but atleast it still had enough umph to finish the hill

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Is there any truth too: BR9-ECS plugs help with controlling detonation?
Verses the BR9-ES’s
I thought they were just a pre-gapped plug only nothing more?

The BR9ECS is a dual heat range plug. It runs cooler at WOT than the BR9ES. I've never seen any plugs that are pre-gapped, not for my sleds anyway.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
I'm not saying it's not detonation, but someone needs to explain to me how in the heck detonation is going to close a spark plug gap??? Educate me.........please.

D
Feb 28, 2007
Palmer,AK
Same happened on one of my older sleds. Started missing on one cylinder, pulled the plug and it was smashed. The lower rod bearing was out. Since most two stroke sled cranks are pressed together you have to send it somewhere to get it rebuilt. I would pull your cylinder and check the play in your rod bearing before I took it out riding again.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
would say bad piston, crank, rod. bet if you pull the head you'll be able to see where the top of the piston has hit the plug. better check it out before she blows!!!

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
I had one similar to that but wasn't all the way closed. I had the plug in my backpack/toolkit for a long time before I put it in though. I think the gap closed from being beat around without that cardboard thing on the threads.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Piston skirt is broken. Had a sled do the same thing and is was the skirt breaking off and workning its way to the top end and flattening the gap on the plug. Still had good compression, but not for long

Premium Features