• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

which direction does the ring gap go?

Mar 10, 2013
I am about to put my pistons in and was unsure about which direction they go in so I called RKTek and asked if the arrows on the Wossner pistons faced the exhaust and he said ignore those and just make sure the ring gaps are to the intake side. I am sure they are correct as its there pistons but just wanted some reassurance!!

W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
Not sure about those specific pistons, but on the few 2 strokes I have ever done there is a little pin on the piston where the ring gaps close around. This is to keep it from spinning when it is installed in the cylinder because the ends of the ring are much more likely to snag a port.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Arrow goes to the exhaust side - as far as the ring gaps go, they should be centered on the small pins in the ring groove on the piston - which will put them toward the intake side.

Make sure your circlip's are oriented correctly before you slip the cylinder back on too.

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
Arrow goes to the exhaust side - as far as the ring gaps go, they should be centered on the small pins in the ring groove on the piston - which will put them toward the intake side.

Make sure your circlip's are oriented correctly before you slip the cylinder back on too.

What do you mean by this ?

Always war

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2012
Utah
That's odd that you were told to ignore the arrows. Pistons can only be installed one way. Arrows pointing toward the exhaust, which will face the ring pins toward the intake.

Pin retaining clips need to be installed with the gap facing straight up or straight down, not sideways in either direction.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I read a while back a batch or two of the Wossener's got miss-marked, hence the comment.

Ring gaps are always to the intake side; as the exhaust port is so large it will eventually catch the ring and F everything up if installed towards the exhaust. The arrow helps when labeled correctly; but It never hurts to double check.

As much as I dislike Kelsey, that is how it is.

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
Installing new pistons tomorrow , never known that the "C" clip had to go in a certain way , if i remember right the piston pin hole has a slot in it to get to the "C" clip , i think this slot is at the bottom of the piston , so i alway make shore the "C" clip ends are on either side of this slot.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
C-clip's need to be oriented so that the gap/opening is either facing up or down, but not toward the cylinder wall.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
just to be clear - the gap/opening in the c-clip is what I am referring to. Make sure it is either toward the top or the bottom of the piston.

One more thing to check before you put it together - did you check your ring gaps?

If you have any questions, don't be shy to pm me, I'll give you my number so you can call with questions. Would hate to see you get it back together and not get it right.

Cheers - Chris

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
1 more point - just to be safe - not sure about the wossners, but most 2 stroke pistons rings have an orientation - make sure you get the right side up. Rings will be marked, but if you are my age you would never see the markings unless you throw a pair of cheaters on to see em. But you'll know if you put them in upside down, they won't float.

Mar 10, 2013
What happens if there left to right? I have no Idea where I put mine just got them in good in the grove. Am I going to be doing anoother tear down?

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
What happens if there left to right? I have no Idea where I put mine just got them in good in the grove. Am I going to be doing anoother tear down?

Just think about the piston going up and down at a very rapid pace and changing direction abruptly. This sudden stop and go could possibly let a circlip become unseated.

Always war

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2012
Utah
just to be clear - the gap/opening in the c-clip is what I am referring to. Make sure it is either toward the top or the bottom of the piston.

One more thing to check before you put it together - did you check your ring gaps?

If you have any questions, don't be shy to pm me, I'll give you my number so you can call with questions. Would hate to see you get it back together and not get it right.

Cheers - Chris

I was told ring gap should be 16-18 thou on The wossner pistons. Sound right?

Premium Features