• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New track coming for 16 ?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Was at the dealer yesterday and got told there is a new track in the works, 18-20 lbs. Lighter. And 1/4" taller lugs. And they are get one to try out. Would be nice, but probably b.s.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
Here is a newer Polaris patent. I would say the chances of a new track are pretty good ;)
attachment.php

As best shown in FIG. 52, the outer surface of endless track 16 includes a plurality of couplers 354 and a plurality of intermediate extensions 355. Couplers 354 extend across a plurality of tread layers 357 such that couplers 354 extend substantially across the width of endless track 16. Illustratively, endless track 16 includes four tread layers 357 extending in a circumferential direction. Intermediate extensions 355 are positioned in an alternating arrangement with couplers 354 and have a width less than the width of couplers 354. Each intermediate extension 355 is supported by a tread member 359 that is perpendicular to tread layers 357. As shown in FIG. 52, tread layers 354 intersect tread members 359 to define a plurality of apertures 353. Couplers 354 and intermediate extensions 355 project outwardly from tread layers 357 and tread members 359, respectively, to contact the ground. In one embodiment, the height of couplers 354 is approximately equal to the height of intermediate extensions 355. The width and height of couplers 354 may provide improved travel over icy or frozen surfaces. For example, when snowmobile 10 is travelling over rutted snow or frozen terrain, couplers 354 may break through more of the surface ice and snow

Last edited:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
looks like it would be one slick mother on hardpack. Mountain Horse has about the same thing posted in his 16 dream sled thread. Maybe he knows a little more than he's telling;)

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
They have to get a new track to compete in the lug length wars. They have the oldest stock track of the OEMs. Tracks sell new sleds. Next year is as good as any. I suspect there are other reasons it wasn't intro'ed in 15, maybe different pitch, length, for current chassis.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Unless the new track is a 121 and 12" wide this kind of weight loss in a track is impossible

I would not use the word impossible; if they were to make it a single ply Carbon cord for strength and near zero stretch. With the strength of carbon they could effectively use about 1/3 to 1/2 of the cord they need currently. They could also thin up the over molded portion, maybe even going to a lighter polymer instead of rubber, poly-urethane or something perhaps. That said, getting to 2/3 the weight of the current offerings would further their lead on the competition and be yet another game changer to their credit.

Hopefully the rumors are somewhat accurate and it actually works! Time will tell.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
If they in fact dropped 15 pounds or so off a track it would be pretty amazing, that thing in a 2.750 or 3 inch lug at that weight ...oooo nice !!

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Could you,,,, build a track without the traditional old school rods, using unique friction reducing involute drivers (or maybe just the current set-up Poo uses), using full width lugs as support instead but make that lug different thicknesses and durometers to fold away in sections when needed for different snow densities???

Would the fiberglass rods of a long track add up to 15lbs? And,,, what do they actually do today with involute drivers? Didn't Doo get rid of a bit of them?

Maybe we will be 385 lbs next year spinning 15 lbs less on the rear skid alone with something that rolls more like a tire instead of a track.
A constant tension suspension geometry would complete the new feel.

Oooh oooh ooh! I godda get some 2015 sleddin time in soon.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Geo, you might be on to something there. If they made a track that looks like that one pictured then potentially 1/2 the rods could be eliminated if the paddles were designed right. 18-20 lbs. weight loss would be a lot, but even 10 lbs. would be awesome.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I agree, losing weight in an already lightweight track seems unlikely. Even 5 lbs would be impressive. Maybe it was 1.8-2.0 lbs???

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
No I asked the dealership owner twice about 20 lbs. If and when they get one. I'll be the first one there with a scale.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
It won't happen. If polaris was coming with a new track it would be on the 16 and the dealers wouldn't know about it until the dealer show. Anyone in the know isn't talking, guaranteed.

R
Mar 15, 2008
I was talking with my dealer and they said to hold off on a purchase until closer to the new year as they've been told Polaris wants the 15's sold come Jan. could mean there's something new on the way. Most of the time they'd try to sell ice to an Eskimo.

E

Esh

Feb 5, 2014
Just throwing it out there but 18-20 lbs lighter than what? Could it be a new track for the RMK Assault? The comp track is something like 9-10 lbs heavier than the 5.1 I have heard...so is an 8-9 lb weight loss from a 5.1's weight feasible? That would make for a new track that saves 18lbs over the comp track.

It does look slightly similar to the PC on the HCR...

Track_2-60inPowerClaw_2015.png

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
All I know is

Those old full paddle tracks were trenching machines. Even on old lightweight hopped up Exciters they were junk... Wish I could find a pic of those old tracks.... Maybe new technology can make em work.... They did sound kinda cool beating thru the snow tho...

dejadoo

Lifetime Membership
Could you,,,, build a track without the traditional old school rods, using unique friction reducing involute drivers (or maybe just the current set-up Poo uses), using full width lugs as support instead but make that lug different thicknesses and durometers to fold away in sections when needed for different snow densities???

Would the fiberglass rods of a long track add up to 15lbs? And,,, what do they actually do today with involute drivers? Didn't Doo get rid of a bit of them?

Maybe we will be 385 lbs next year spinning 15 lbs less on the rear skid alone with something that rolls more like a tire instead of a track.
A constant tension suspension geometry would complete the new feel.

Oooh oooh ooh! I godda get some 2015 sleddin time in soon.

Removing the rods and adding rubber will not lower the weight much since they have about the same density. Adding rubber drive lugs to the inside would increase the weight.

Premium Features