• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'14 Pro RMK QuickDrive break-in/reliability thread

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
He is showing you his theory on breaking in a engine, not a belt .

Umm, correct. I'm more concerned about braking in the motor properly than I am about the belt. You only have one chance to break in the motor, belts are replaceable.

This thread is for '14 owners to discuss HOW they broke-in their belt (Polaris recommended, or otherwise) and how that break-in impacted their belt longevity.

I choose not to follow my owners manual. I'll post a follow-up on the consequences.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Umm, correct. I'm more concerned about braking in the motor properly than I am about the belt. You only have one chance to break in the motor, belts are replaceable.

This thread is for '14 owners to discuss HOW they broke-in their belt (Polaris recommended, or otherwise) and how that break-in impacted their belt longevity.

I choose not to follow my owners manual. I'll post a follow-up on the consequences.

Got it sounds good. One off thread question. What type of oil are you using?

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
Got it sounds good. One off thread question. What type of oil are you using?

I'm using Legend ZX-2SR all around, including the quart in the first tank. I've been 100% VES Gold on my '11 Assault with good luck so far at 2000 mi., but the power valves get gummed up. On the new RMK, I've turned up my oiler two turns with the intent of hitting 40-1.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
54 miles on mine. First day pow so deep could not stop on flat ground. Very hard to not get stuck. So me and 5 others broke or 14 in to the bar. But had lots of cool down time between stucks.

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Have 2 '14's: put 14 miles on in the ditches around home then went to Cooke. Just have to break ice and junk out of the "well" every morning and tear out. So far so good.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
After 25 miles, I decided it had enough sissy miles and decided to ride it like it should be. 134 miles total so far and no issues! I think the biggest issue with these belt drives is you can't have WTO in the air while jumping, just imagine all that sudden torque and stress on the belt once the sled touches snow. I seen a few chain cases go out due to that issue.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska

Correct. I broke my MOTOR in. The belts got their break in that way. About 30 miles of ditch banging. On and off the throttle hard. Just no extended pulls. I will attempt to do more of that for the next 30 miles however if it snows, all bets are off. IMO, it's time to ride it like you stole it.

M
Dec 4, 2007
i know you asked about 14s but i am bored.I took it easy on 13 pro for the first 90 miles, then rode it normally,At 800 miles the jackshaft bearing @ brake rotor failed,i did not notice this until i inspected the machine at home.It had about .25inches of play insde bearing and qd belt was very loose.It did not damage the qd belt to my surprise .I also towed another sled out of the mountains.5 miles cross country,20+ miles on the trail to my cabin.I am still on the original belt with 1150 on odometer.I love the instant throttle response with the qd system.JMHO.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I have around 40 miles between two separate rides on the 2014. We have had a lot of snow lately and now a lot of cold weather. Just babying it. Never went over 45 but did goose it several times. Just now looked at the QD belt and it looks the same as a new one. Going to do the same for the next 60 to 70 miles along with the 10 gallons of pre-mix fuel. All said and done what can it hurt. After all they are not cheap toys!

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
150+ miles so far. Followed the instructions. varied the throttle a lot, some WOT after motor break in, but not for very long (a second or two max).

last few rides we finally had enough to really give her the gas, see video below ;)

3" 163 on that baby? did you do the 7 tooth drivers? nice vid :face-icon-small-win

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Does not suck to be you!

150+ miles so far. Followed the instructions. varied the throttle a lot, some WOT after motor break in, but not for very long (a second or two max).

last few rides we finally had enough to really give her the gas, see video below ;)

You know! You just can't put a video like this out on Snowest without telling us where you were riding. It's cruel and unusual punishment. :face-icon-small-sad

S
Dec 15, 2007
Kelowna BC
57 miles yesterday in the mountains of BC.Took it easy on way up lots of on off did not exceed 50mph on trail Let it cool off multiple times.Belt did shed a lot of grey skin.Did not baby any of sled when I hit the 2' fresh powder as I was surfing it like crazy.Clutch got hot.I think another thing that never comes up on these new belts is not to pound the brakes hard at speed as that will shock load the belt big time.I remember when you worried about the engine on breakin now its the last thing I think off just on off no pro longed WOT

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
It's quite obvious by how quiet the boards were last year that the QD issues that Polaris was plagued by in '13 were fixed (or greatly improved) on the '14 sleds.

As a follow-up to my break in (posted at top), I had zero issues with the QD after 1050 miles for the season (13-14) and the belt looks in great shape for the coming season. Miles were a mix of mountain, off-trail and trail.

One case certainly doesn't prove anything, but I still stand by breaking in the motor properly even at the risk of the QD belt.

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
My first polaris, do you have to carry a spare quick drive belt?

I don't carry one, but my sled was new last year and the belt looks perfect still after 500 miles. I will probably start carrying one later this winter.

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
I know this post was meant for 2014's, but my 13' I bought new for the 13 -14 season was broken in nice and easy for the first 100 miles, then it was off to the races. I put 1,800 miles on the sled last year and had 0 problems. This year I picked up a 2015 QD belt to replace the 13' belt and now carry the 13 belt as a spare. the 13 belt looked perfect when I took it off.

Premium Features