• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

which direction does the ring gap go?

T
Nov 27, 2007
Eastern Washington St
Just think about the piston going up and down at a very rapid pace and changing direction abruptly. This sudden stop and go could possibly let a circlip become unseated.

This does make since! However I've never done it and 1st I've heard of it!!
If you think about it, (Dangerous I know!) The piston wouldn’t suddenly stop but does slow really, really fast before reversing direction really, really fast then accelerating the other way.
Several piston install under my belt and never a circlip problem.
Just make sure they are seated firmly then double check to make sure!

But! From now on I'll be orientating the circlips and I don't think (from my experience) it's not a big enough issue to re-tear down your motor to fix? beer;

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
I hate rebuilding a engine and thinking....did I put the circlips in right and the rings upside down.LOL
google and RKT is your friend.

Mar 10, 2013
Talked to local repitual shop and he told me yes the circlips should sit a 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock. He also said I would more then likely be fine not tearing it down and fixing it as long as they are seated good. Said he gets engines in all the time with the circlips in every which direction. But next time he said put them in as stated.

Dan

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Just think about the piston going up and down at a very rapid pace and changing direction abruptly. This sudden stop and go could possibly let a circlip become unseated.

This is what I was always taught.

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
This does make since! However I've never done it and 1st I've heard of it!!
If you think about it, (Dangerous I know!) The piston wouldn’t suddenly stop but does slow really, really fast before reversing direction really, really fast then accelerating the other way.
Several piston install under my belt and never a circlip problem.
Just make sure they are seated firmly then double check to make sure!

But! From now on I'll be orientating the circlips and I don't think (from my experience) it's not a big enough issue to re-tear down your motor to fix? beer;

This is sort of true, I was just simplifying for explanation purposes.

Premium Features