• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Good and bad?, 2001 Summit 700 144"

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
I am looking at a 2001 Summit 700 144" as a back up / beater sled.

I am more of a AC and Polaris guy so I have no idea on these machines

The sled has around 5000 Miles and the owner doesn't have a repair maintenance history. I have no idea if any motor work has been done.

What are the pattern failures for these sleds?

Is there anything I should look out for

Were these overall pretty reliable, durable sleds?

I am buying the sled for a lower snow area. Do these have front and rear coolers ?

Thanks, I appreciate the help !

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
2001 Summit 700

Bullet proof! Ours was still tight at 6000 miles when we rebuilt the top end just out of a need to be safe. Primary clutch stays tight and does not wear out. Runs great at all elevations - no tuning necessary. Clicker 2 or 3, gas, oil, pull rope and go!
Need skis as the stockers push. Bar riser is a good idea. Aftermarket shocks for the rear if you weigh over 200 lbs will make a difference. We may be selling ours soon and it would appear someone is going to get a great deal for little money.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Bullet proof! Ours was still tight at 6000 miles when we rebuilt the top end just out of a need to be safe. Primary clutch stays tight and does not wear out. Runs great at all elevations - no tuning necessary. Clicker 2 or 3, gas, oil, pull rope and go!
Need skis as the stockers push. Bar riser is a good idea. Aftermarket shocks for the rear if you weigh over 200 lbs will make a difference. We may be selling ours soon and it would appear someone is going to get a great deal for little money.

Thanks for the information

Are these fuel injected ? How do they not require tuning?

I ask because I ride from 9500-13500

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
no fuel injection, they have the altitude compensator, so if you bought it in your area. it already been jetted for a base line and will adjust from 0-10,000 ft

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
the primary has adjustment of 200 rpm increments and will need adj as you raise in elevation to keep at your 7800 rpm for optimum performance

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
DPM

The DPM system changes the carburetor's float bowl pressure to adjust jetting. I think its sea level to 14K so you should be good! I rode ours in CO up to 12K. Granted the motor loses power at that elevation, but it still ran clean.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
I appreciate the information.

I looked at the sleds which were grossly misrepresented by the owner. they were beat to ****.

I could barely get he chain case dipstick out it had so much metal in it. They would hardly idle, old gas, just crap.

That was worth a 4 hour drive.............

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
Sorry to hear but thats usually what older used sled are like , most dont do any maintenance on them

Premium Features