Polaris: IQ 2005-current, all models in the IQ and IQ Raw chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2019, 09:06 AM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
Big Ru is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 800 assault engine runs rough at idle- rpm drops

2009 800 Assault RMK- efi
The engine will start just fine, but the rpms fluctuates. Sometimes higher but mostly lower and then dies. Hard to use PERK when it wont idle right. I have good fresh gas. proper temperature new plugs. Could this be power valves?

and would this cause problems when reaching high rpms when racing across lakes and meadows? Because, the engine light will start to flash (but I never counted the flashes.....) The flashing stops when I restart the motor and it runs fine.

Thanks for any insight into the issues

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-29-2019, 09:55 AM
Currently: Not set
retiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't sound like a power valve issue. It could be a fuel supply issue. Maybe the fuel pump is going or just a dirty fuel filter.

Haven't outgrown my 600 yet!

Last edited by retiredpop; 03-29-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to retiredpop For This Useful Post:
Big Ru (04-05-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 06:43 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
WalterXC700Canadian is an unknown quantity at this point

More than likely your down on compression, do a compression test and replace the pistons before they explode and take out your bottom end. Those motors scrape the pistons on the intake side and will literally knife edge the piston skirt till the piston shatters or breaks off the cylinder skirt. Well known for those motors. Best fix is the cylinder shim fix.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to WalterXC700Canadian For This Useful Post:
Big Ru (04-05-2019)