For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Polaris: TURBO Turbo discussion for Polaris aftermarket turbo sleds

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2019, 12:40 AM
Currently: Not set.
Octanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Det issues continue.... Tried everything it seems! 11 pro

Hey guys, so some may remember my troubles with my sled, and it still continues. no matter what I've done I keep getting det thrown, usually happens when on off the throttle, like sidehilling in powder or climbing. I ran Race gas, 100% av gas, threw in a 3 degree timing key, swapped tps, new tps, swapped exhaust sensor, swapped knock sensor. Engines rebuilt, checked and repaired my exhaust mount. Swapped. Factory fuel injectors, turbo injectors good, fuel pumps tested, air fuel is always good in boost, fuel filters new and Has never helped. At 6500 feet running low boost of ~4 psi which should be almost like running stock at sea level in theory.

Got the boost it xic box.

It was mentioned that maybe I'm rich, so I started to lean the sled out and it does run better and gets much more crisp and responsive, when I watch my air fuel gauge I cannot see anything that stands out, no big lean puffs of air, seems to be just fine when it Throws the code. Had one pull on the trail where i was 11.5:1 and as soon as I let off the throttle it threw the code. Again low boost high octane Fuel.

Seriously thinking there's something else setting this off somehow Ecm?? I had padded Anything I could see or Think of that could rattle causing an issue.

I talk with others selling their sleds with same turbo setup and said it's the Best turbo sled they've had.... But here I am banging my head against the wall,

Last winter I took the knock sensor off, 2 weeks ago I replaced My pistons because I was Concerned however looking at them I cannot see at all any detonation damage or Chipping on top, really starting to believe its a false set code.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 01-01-2019, 02:10 AM
kgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond repute

With that amount of boost have you tried 91 octane with no race fuel? Too much octane is not better. Not saying it’s your issue but slow burn fuels and not enough timing can cause excess heat in exhaust, on exh side of piston, on power valve, etc since the burn is happening too long which can trigger knock sensor very easily getting back into throttle when it is often on the lean side of things cause aux injectors usually only kick in once boost is sensed.
Anything that can cause a rattle or knock from flexing or twisting can sometimes trigger knock sensor.
How does it idle? What rpm?
Do your spark plugs ever loosen off? It is common if you are getting det.
When you checked your pistons did you measure piston skirt to cyl wall clearance?
Is there any previous damage to inside of cylinder head?

Old 01-01-2019, 02:34 AM
Currently: Boost is addictive
Thanked 1,615 Times in 1,018 Posts
Sheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond repute

I had constant issues with my 2011 wiring harness.

Parting it out is the best thing to do to a 2011 pro.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:55 AM
Octanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond reputeOctanee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgra View Post
With that amount of boost have you tried 91 octane with no race fuel? Too much octane is not better. Not saying it’s your issue but slow burn fuels and not enough timing can cause excess heat in exhaust, on exh side of piston, on power valve, etc since the burn is happening too long which can trigger knock sensor very easily getting back into throttle when it is often on the lean side of things cause aux injectors usually only kick in once boost is sensed.
Anything that can cause a rattle or knock from flexing or twisting can sometimes trigger knock sensor.
How does it idle? What rpm?
Do your spark plugs ever loosen off? It is common if you are getting det.
When you checked your pistons did you measure piston skirt to cyl wall clearance?
Is there any previous damage to inside of cylinder head?
I'm currently running 94 octane now, I also tried turning up the boost to see if it did anything and it made no difference either, I had the issue before the rebuild/s and before my timing key, everything I've done so far has not been the issue or the fix, had the sled apart many times and wiring harness moved around and still has not changed anything. I've played with the fuel setpoint, as well as the accel pump because yes I was thinking maybe its going lean when I get on the throttle again, it made no difference, In fact seemed to make it almost worse (maybe) hard to say, I also tried the throttle cut and nope it got big gulps of air so its not too rich when letting on and off the throttle.

It idles great, about ~2000 rpm or so, 1900 ish. spark plugs never loosen off, have had spark plug cap issues but thats resolved now. And this last go around I never measured the pistons exactly, I did compare the piston to cyl clearance between the new and old pistons and they were the same with a feeler gauge however I do not recall the measurement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheetmetalfab View Post
I had constant issues with my 2011 wiring harness.

Parting it out is the best thing to do to a 2011 pro.
I hear you, I feel so defeated so far by the thing, but no electrical issues yet.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:00 AM
Currently: 2019-2020 winter on the way
Thanked 2,641 Times in 959 Posts
TRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond repute

Did you replace the plug wires?
How about your MAP sensor?

Last edited by TRS; 01-01-2019 at 11:03 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to TRS For This Useful Post:
Sheetmetalfab (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 11:01 AM
Currently: Waitin' for snow...
die hard poo has a reputation beyond reputedie hard poo has a reputation beyond reputedie hard poo has a reputation beyond reputedie hard poo has a reputation beyond reputedie hard poo has a reputation beyond reputedie hard poo has a reputation beyond reputedie hard poo has a reputation beyond reputedie hard poo has a reputation beyond reputedie hard poo has a reputation beyond reputedie hard poo has a reputation beyond reputedie hard poo has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe its over-revving? My old pros would do throw a det code if it over-revved. Also maybe try and put a new det sensor in? Or just say screw it and remove the det sensor and run extra octane and call it a day. Up to you lol

Old 01-01-2019, 11:59 AM
Sheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octanee View Post
I'm currently running 94 octane now, I also tried turning up the boost to see if it did anything and it made no difference either, I had the issue before the rebuild/s and before my timing key, everything I've done so far has not been the issue or the fix, had the sled apart many times and wiring harness moved around and still has not changed anything. I've played with the fuel setpoint, as well as the accel pump because yes I was thinking maybe its going lean when I get on the throttle again, it made no difference, In fact seemed to make it almost worse (maybe) hard to say, I also tried the throttle cut and nope it got big gulps of air so its not too rich when letting on and off the throttle.

It idles great, about ~2000 rpm or so, 1900 ish. spark plugs never loosen off, have had spark plug cap issues but thats resolved now. And this last go around I never measured the pistons exactly, I did compare the piston to cyl clearance between the new and old pistons and they were the same with a feeler gauge however I do not recall the measurement.

I hear you, I feel so defeated so far by the thing, but no electrical issues yet.

I had the same det issues and traced several of them to the wiring harness.
(Completely hidden in the sheath)

I’d say you do have an electrical problem.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 01-01-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS View Post
Did you replace the plug wires?
How about your MAP sensor?
Plug wires stock, map sensor is stock and placed in intake tube to my turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by die hard poo View Post
Maybe its over-revving? My old pros would do throw a det code if it over-revved. Also maybe try and put a new det sensor in? Or just say screw it and remove the det sensor and run extra octane and call it a day. Up to you lol
It deff could be over revving, the gauge reads so slow but I do remember even at 4psi at elevation rpm spikes of 8300 or so on the gauge. Im running IIRC the mtntk recommended clutching, red primary spring, I even welded my weights to get them heavier, but In hindsight I should of went to a lighter finish spring. I do have a few spare springs so I'll have to look at them and maybe throw one in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheetmetalfab View Post
I had the same det issues and traced several of them to the wiring harness.
(Completely hidden in the sheath)

I’d say you do have an electrical problem.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What did you find in yours and where? I appreciate the feedback everybody! So far a few things I have over looked.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octanee View Post
Plug wires stock, map sensor is stock and placed in intake tube to my turbo.

It deff could be over revving, the gauge reads so slow but I do remember even at 4psi at elevation rpm spikes of 8300 or so on the gauge. Im running IIRC the mtntk recommended clutching, red primary spring, I even welded my weights to get them heavier, but In hindsight I should of went to a lighter finish spring. I do have a few spare springs so I'll have to look at them and maybe throw one in.

What did you find in yours and where? I appreciate the feedback everybody! So far a few things I have over looked.
Found wires with crumbled insulation inside the sheath.
(Crappy aluminum wire)

Also some wires had breaks inside the insulation that weren’t visible.

Unwind the entire harness to inspect every wire. (Or swap it out with a new / known good one..........

Worth trying plug wires, map sensor swaps for sure.

Bringing the max rpm down is usually a good test also. (If I ever saw 8300 on my 11’ gauge usually it was very close to overev-det.

Last edited by Sheetmetalfab; 01-01-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:22 PM
Old 01-01-2019, 03:10 PM
kgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond reputekgra has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 01-01-2019, 03:22 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-01-2019, 05:03 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-01-2019, 07:10 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-01-2019, 07:28 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-02-2019, 10:23 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-02-2019, 11:35 PM
Currently: Silber Dealer
mt.sledder has a reputation beyond reputemt.sledder has a reputation beyond reputemt.sledder has a reputation beyond reputemt.sledder has a reputation beyond reputemt.sledder has a reputation beyond reputemt.sledder has a reputation beyond reputemt.sledder has a reputation beyond reputemt.sledder has a reputation beyond reputemt.sledder has a reputation beyond reputemt.sledder has a reputation beyond reputemt.sledder has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to mt.sledder For This Useful Post:
Sheetmetalfab (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 08:20 AM
Currently: <<In-House PolarisTechnician not as involved in the shop
Thanked 1,568 Times in 908 Posts
diamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamonddave For This Useful Post:
cascadesnowjunky (01-05-2019), Sheetmetalfab (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 11:53 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-04-2019, 03:16 PM
WAsledder has a reputation beyond reputeWAsledder has a reputation beyond reputeWAsledder has a reputation beyond reputeWAsledder has a reputation beyond reputeWAsledder has a reputation beyond reputeWAsledder has a reputation beyond reputeWAsledder has a reputation beyond reputeWAsledder has a reputation beyond reputeWAsledder has a reputation beyond reputeWAsledder has a reputation beyond reputeWAsledder has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-04-2019, 09:36 PM
Currently: ACTIVELY defend your right to ride.
Polaris & Montana Moderator
Thanked 8,309 Times in 4,787 Posts
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 01-04-2019, 11:29 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-05-2019, 07:05 PM
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 01-05-2019, 08:24 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-05-2019, 09:02 PM
Garage

Click Here to Register