For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
General Snowmobiling Snowmobile related topics only

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2019, 07:19 AM
Currently: Waiting for Saturday
Basic Member
Detox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sled in truck bed

Hauling sled in the 5.5 ft truck bed. Does it work out ok?

Sled has a 163 track. Is it going to damage the tailgate?

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 05-09-2019, 02:27 PM
Currently: Where's the snow?
MNBlizzard has a reputation beyond reputeMNBlizzard has a reputation beyond reputeMNBlizzard has a reputation beyond reputeMNBlizzard has a reputation beyond reputeMNBlizzard has a reputation beyond reputeMNBlizzard has a reputation beyond reputeMNBlizzard has a reputation beyond reputeMNBlizzard has a reputation beyond reputeMNBlizzard has a reputation beyond reputeMNBlizzard has a reputation beyond reputeMNBlizzard has a reputation beyond repute

Hauling in the back of my truck (5.5' bed) is my favorite way to transport one sled. It will not break the tailgate if that is your question. I do strap it in the box. Traveling with the tailgate down does make the tailgate susceptible to rocks bouncing up in my experience.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:53 PM
Currently: is it Khaos time yet?
Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,510 Posts
Wheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute

crappy ramps that fly off the tailgate putting all the load on the back edge are what wreck tailgates. Not weight on them while driving.

I destroyed my tailgate on an 8' box truck. Issue was i was broke college kid, ****ty ramp and it always fell down leaving me spinning my track frantically on the back edge which is pretty rough on things. Also carbides hooking etc wrecking the edge.

If your running a mtn sled, no need for carbides. Wear bars. Then they wont dig into the metal, cut things up and break stuff nearly as bad.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:05 PM
Currently: Still Riding...
Basic Member
Big10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond repute

I used to haul my 153 track sled in my Raptor with the 5.5 ft bed no problem. I think damage to the tailgate depends. I know a 3rd gen Dodge tailgate wont last too long on rough forest service roads but would probably be fine for mostly highway. The Raptor had the step in the gate and the assist handle is pretty stout, it folds flat across the gate and I think adds strength. That tailgate held up fine. My current '12 f250 is a short bed but at 6'8", not that short. I have a spare "sled tailgate" for this truck. I don't think it would hold up very well on the forest service roads we run to access our honey hole.

5.5ft bed is going to be pretty short for a 163 machine, all but the first 6-8 inches of the track will be hanging out. Do-able but not ideal. You need a bigger truck... At least a sacrificial tailgate from the junkyard if you have a decent truck.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:29 AM
Currently: ND Meatball Crew
Quinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

163 Axys in 5.5' Ford.

I got tired of pulling a trailer and opted for the box last season. I put a piece of plywood down first. This protects the box and helps distribute the weight across the bed and tailgate.

The ramp is a tri-fold atv ramp with ski guides attached. I went with one of the longer ramps I could find so I can approach it at a controllable speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190202_154018215_small.jpg (302.1 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by Quinlan; 05-10-2019 at 06:32 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Quinlan For This Useful Post:
Meadow Muffin (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 07:56 AM
Currently: Let 'er SNOW!!
Timbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detox View Post
Hauling sled in the 5.5 ft truck bed. Does it work out ok?

Sled has a 163 track. Is it going to damage the tailgate?
Hauling a sled in the back of a truck is definitely more convenient and compact, but something people don't think of when considering doing this, is the road chemicals. The salt and/or magnesium chloride is absolutely BRUTAL! You can go from a shiny new pipe to a rusted one in just a couple of weeks. Most think using a cover will solve the problem . . it doesn't! The mist created when vehicles drive on wet (chemical laden) roads gets into absolutely EVERYTHING!! Any place air can get to, the mist and chemicals will hitch a ride and be there too. Yes, this mist gets under the hood, even with a cover on tightly.

Personally I would never haul my sled in the back of the truck unless the roads are completely DRY! So, the enclosed trailer is used 95% of the time.

When i do haul it in the back of the truck (6.5' bed), i use a "deck" made of a 3/4" thick 4x8 sheet of plywood, painted on ALL sides with a oil based paint (with grit in it) in the bed of the truck. I attach old bed liner strips (8" wide) for the skis to ride in the grooves. Then slide it back to about 3" from the end of the tailgate. Doing this helps to relieve a bit of weight from the tailgate.

I use a RevArc ramp for loading/unloading.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:43 AM
Currently: Doing a snow dance!
dboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbre View Post
Hauling a sled in the back of a truck is definitely more convenient and compact, but something people don't think of when considering doing this, is the road chemicals. The salt and/or magnesium chloride is absolutely BRUTAL! You can go from a shiny new pipe to a rusted one in just a couple of weeks. Most think using a cover will solve the problem . . it doesn't! The mist created when vehicles drive on wet (chemical laden) roads gets into absolutely EVERYTHING!! Any place air can get to, the mist and chemicals will hitch a ride and be there too. Yes, this mist gets under the hood, even with a cover on tightly.

Personally I would never haul my sled in the back of the truck unless the roads are completely DRY! So, the enclosed trailer is used 95% of the time.

When i do haul it in the back of the truck (6.5' bed), i use a "deck" made of a 3/4" thick 4x8 sheet of plywood, painted on ALL sides with a oil based paint (with grit in it) in the bed of the truck. I attach old bed liner strips (8" wide) for the skis to ride in the grooves. Then slide it back to about 3" from the end of the tailgate. Doing this helps to relieve a bit of weight from the tailgate.

I use a RevArc ramp for loading/unloading.
Obviously enclosed is the best option, but I have been doing the back of the truck for years and never really had a problem. In my opinion it stays cleaner in the back of a truck than on an open two place trailer, with or without a salt shield. Tailgate down, strap from one side, thru the skid, then ratcheted down. Never moves, leaves room for cargo, and the added benefit of the weight in the backend so you can hammer the interstate getting to you snow haven! I've been using a $100 ramp and happy with it. Sold my two place trailer this year as all it did was sit and get in my way.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dboe03 For This Useful Post:
Big10inch (05-11-2019), Meadow Muffin (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 12:59 PM
Currently: Not set.
Thanked 2,860 Times in 1,110 Posts
Jaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond repute

Back of the truck is all most of the sledders do around here

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 05-10-2019, 08:59 PM
Coldfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Get a truck bed extender to take most of the weight off tailgate. Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-7023...51568615&psc=1

Old 05-11-2019, 05:04 AM
Currently: Wanting more snow
NHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Old 05-11-2019, 07:12 AM
Basic Member
Big10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big10inch For This Useful Post:
IDspud (05-11-2019), Wheel House Motorsports (05-13-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 05:39 PM
Currently: Trump is a troll
Thanked 3,600 Times in 1,807 Posts
Mafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 05-17-2019, 10:44 AM
Basic Member
Detox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond reputeDetox has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 05-17-2019, 10:48 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 05-17-2019, 01:28 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 05-17-2019, 02:57 PM
Thanked 2,860 Times in 1,110 Posts
Jaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 06-21-2019, 12:14 PM
Currently: Waiting for snow
frntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to frntflp For This Useful Post:
Timbre (07-04-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 04:59 PM
Currently: Undefeated Mountain Clutching Champ of the World!
kanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 06-25-2019, 06:58 PM
03RMK800 has a reputation beyond repute03RMK800 has a reputation beyond repute03RMK800 has a reputation beyond repute03RMK800 has a reputation beyond repute03RMK800 has a reputation beyond repute03RMK800 has a reputation beyond repute03RMK800 has a reputation beyond repute03RMK800 has a reputation beyond repute03RMK800 has a reputation beyond repute03RMK800 has a reputation beyond repute03RMK800 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-01-2019, 10:38 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 391 Posts
tdbaugha has a reputation beyond reputetdbaugha has a reputation beyond reputetdbaugha has a reputation beyond reputetdbaugha has a reputation beyond reputetdbaugha has a reputation beyond reputetdbaugha has a reputation beyond reputetdbaugha has a reputation beyond reputetdbaugha has a reputation beyond reputetdbaugha has a reputation beyond reputetdbaugha has a reputation beyond reputetdbaugha has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to tdbaugha For This Useful Post:
tmberro (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:23 PM
goridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-09-2019, 06:05 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 07-09-2019, 06:07 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 07-09-2019, 02:30 PM
Coldfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register