• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 Assault 800 electrical issues

N
Jan 24, 2016
Northern Norway
So I'll explain in chronological order:

1. Noticed my tachometer was not working on my 10 Assault RMK. What causes this?

2. While riding, the display and headlights suddenly went dark.

3. Engine cuts out and stops.

4. Engine started up again, but ran like ****, until it finally died out and would not fire up again.

What can cause this? I have ordered a new voltage regulator, but the one I had in the sled was the updated version, but I guess they can go bad anyways? I had put one ground cable on the upper plate holding all the electrical stuff in place, but it was supposed to be on the lower plate, can this cause the issue? Capacitor tested and its good, ECU is not fried. I hope its not the stator.

I'm guessing the issue began with the tachometer not working, so I'm intrested in finding out what can cause the tach to not show?

Also, this machine also has wires for electrical start, but I have no battery in it, and I just taped the positive and negative wire for the starter engine. Can this have an effect on something?

50889794_10156142436218100_1845244995494215680_o.jpg

Last edited:

RTBS

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2013
I think your heading down the right path. I would try the VR first if that's not it then check the stator.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

N
Jan 24, 2016
Northern Norway
I think your heading down the right path. I would try the VR first if that's not it then check the stator.

Thanks, I will.

Do you have any idea what causes the tach to not show? What is the source for the tach? I've heard that its the VR that sends the RPM signal to ECU, but not sure?

RTBS

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2013
Not sure about the relay. Does the whole dash go out or just the tach? Mine just did that and it was the VR. That's where I would start. If you know someone with another dragon you could swap it out and see if that does it.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
My '10 600 did the same thing. I replaced the VR and that fixed mine.

Dealer said in factory mounted location they get hot since there is something mounted on top of it.

N
Jan 24, 2016
Northern Norway
Not sure about the relay. Does the whole dash go out or just the tach? Mine just did that and it was the VR. That's where I would start. If you know someone with another dragon you could swap it out and see if that does it.

While the display was working, and sled was running, I had no tach, but temp, speed, etc. was working fine. Weird.

Waiting for the VR, it's on its way. I have no friends with a 08-10 IQ, only newer machines.

N
Jan 24, 2016
Northern Norway
My '10 600 did the same thing. I replaced the VR and that fixed mine.

Dealer said in factory mounted location they get hot since there is something mounted on top of it.

The factory mounting point is on the plate above the clutches, right? Next to ECU and coils. The capacitor is mounted on top of it. Same spot youre thinking about? At least thats where mine was mounted.

RTBS

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2013
Yes. That's the factory setup. Mine got hot also and ruined it. There might be a way to mount it so it doesn't get as hot.
3cf097003ac0688d86d38c91fd450b90.jpg

N
Jan 24, 2016
Northern Norway
Yes. That's the factory setup. Mine got hot also and ruined it. There might be a way to mount it so it doesn't get as hot.
3cf097003ac0688d86d38c91fd450b90.jpg

Alright, thanks.

One more thing, does anyone know where all the ground points on IQ are located, or is just the one from the plate to chassis?

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
My dealer told me to drill holes in the aluminum plate to allow more air flow. Also, dismount the capacitor and turn it over and mount to the plastic belt holder which gets it up off the back of the VR. No problems since.

Attachments

• Cap smaller.JPG
    Cap smaller.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 27
Premium Features