• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Multi-purpose sat phone

N
Dec 18, 2012
Bothell, Wa
I'm new to the satellite phone world but with a recent event I have decided it's something worth buying. Are there options for communication radios that also have GPS and satellite capabilities or would I need to buy two devices (ie bca link and a separate sat phone)?

B

bailer

Nov 26, 2007
Saskatoon
I'm new to the satellite phone world but with a recent event I have decided it's something worth buying. Are there options for communication radios that also have GPS and satellite capabilities or would I need to buy two devices (ie bca link and a separate sat phone)?

Check out the Garmin Inreach communicators.
They are satellite based and provide reliable coverage. Not a phone, but allow you to text anybody for non emergency stuff, and have a 911 button to get emergency services coming if needed.

The Inreach Explorer model has gps maps as well. I use the more basic SE model with just satellite because I like to keep my gps separate from the emergency device.

I have heard some of the search and rescue guys say Sat phones are more fickle as far as coverage goes. I think you would also need to know the local emergency numbers which isn’t necessary with the Inreach, they take care of all that.

Last edited:

LudicrousSpeed

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2012
Agreed it sounds like the inreach is what you are looking for. It is great and worth every penny. It is also a great gps and mapping solution when paired to your phone.

Premium Features