• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

VHF radio

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
what about the radio? is it a dual band or just a single?

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
what about the radio? is it a dual band or just a single?

I run an ICOM 91AD myself.

As for that Chinese rig, I don't have a clue.
I used that as an example of how hard it is to find a 10 watt handheld.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
okay... I understand. it is interesting.
I use the bff8hp CCR. $80. if I lose or damage it, no big deal, just order another. I am real curious about that antenna.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
If you have any real interest in going towards a HAM radio, getting your technicians license is NOT all that hard at all. There is an excellent online training site that will teach you the FCC test and prep you to walk in and nail it.

Go take a look at
https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com
got mine in oct, kg7otl. little bit of study $14 and a 35 question test. if you can wrench on your own sled successfully, then you can study a bit and get get yours too. having said that, unless everyone in the group has it, you cant utilize the ham stuff. it is only useful for emergency comms.

someone posted about the rugged radios. imo, you can get a better deal at baofeng tech. 8 watt dual band with a better antenna for $65. comes with the same ear bud mic setup as the rugged. The antenna that is supplied on the rugged radio is just one step up from a dummy load. Buy the programming cable and program them for your group. easy stuff. also for that style radio which is known as the uv-5r, there is a double capacity battery that will last at least 36 hrs in standby. there are battery packs that use aaa and aa batteries. speaker mics that you can use just like the link.

also for your rugged/baofeng radios, miklor.com has lots of info, does not sell, just has information. pay attention to the baofeng bf888 you can buy'm in a six pack for $15 each. uhf 16ch 4watt comes with the ear bud setup.

S

schu

Nov 26, 2007
Houston, AK
Here is an interesting page on the subject:

http://www.captainswoop.com/radio/uhf.html

It should help people with the legal options. To those of you that don't care about being legal, not only is it wrong, but if you do get caught the fines can be anywhere from $5000 to $20000.

The FCC has a plan in place for a reason, why not respect that and get a license, or use unlicensed gear?

schu

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
yep, the FCC has a plan. one size fits all plan. same plan for the Backcountry and downtown New York, New York. that plan does a really poor job of meeting Backcountry recreation needs. doesn't help much with sar either..... just saying. its not like me to blindly follow along to get along. I will doo what I need to doo, radio wise, without causing interference to other types of radio comms.

Premium Features