• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Beacon with avalanche vest

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
How are you guys with the vests wearing your beacons? Seems like you can't do the over the shoulder deal with them.

Thanks in advance!

capnkirk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2010
Appleton, WI
How are you guys with the vests wearing your beacons? Seems like you can't do the over the shoulder deal with them.

Thanks in advance!

you should always carry your beacon. It should already be on a few layers under your vest or bag, and i assure you it will fit. Also, you will need it to find your friends if they get caught in a slide.

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
you should always carry your beacon. It should already be on a few layers under your vest or bag, and i assure you it will fit. Also, you will need it to find your friends if they get caught in a slide.

You missed my question or I didn't state it properly. I will be wearing my beacon but I have always worn it over my coat and with a vest it doesn't look like I can do that.

I will absolutely be wearing it at all times but wondering if folks were putting it in a vest pocket or under layers of clothing as you suggest.

capnkirk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2010
Appleton, WI
You missed my question or I didn't state it properly. I will be wearing my beacon but I have always worn it over my coat and with a vest it doesn't look like I can do that.

I will absolutely be wearing it at all times but wondering if folks were putting it in a vest pocket or under layers of clothing as you suggest.

:sorry: it read as if you where questioning wearing it at all...

I find that it fits just fine with my pack. I put it on in between my mid-layer and outer shell, over the shoulder, then my ABS freeride pack... and it seems to fit great. No real issues to speak of, and i'm no small guy.

Now as far as the vest goes, it very well could be a different fit. But i couldn't tell you for sure.

S

ScubaSteveSK

Aug 16, 2008
Canada
This is the only downfall to an avi-vest and have tried it in a couple places. Used to wear it on my side high on the ribs, but this year started wearing it lower on my hip but still at the side which was WAY more comfortable. Just adjust the straps/velcro to fit a bit looser in that location around the beacon. Either way, always under the jacket.

Premium Features