• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Island Park or Cooke City?? Hawkfest 2011

S

snow hawk gal

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
Each have their pros and cons..
Cooke City does not have a place that will accomodate our entire group.
Island Park has a number of places with cabins, hotels, and rv parking all at one place.
So help me out guys, for those of you who have been there. I know that we discussed Cooke City but not having everyone at the same place is not the best option.
Help is much appreciated.
Tammy

B

BlazinBya

Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River Wi
IP is ok.....there isnt much for nightlife,your trapped in a basin staring at a bunch of cool mountains that you never get to ride,you ride TRAILS for 20-30 plus minutes to just get to the fun stuff-Id stay in yellowstone before going back down into IP...IMO

COOKE gets my vote for some prime hawk territory,with convienence of a close town,riding only 10 minutes or so to get into some good stuff.I cant recall how many rooms were at BearclawBobs super 8 but its likely the biggest motel in town-Id avoid Antlers if given a choice,Im sure others can chime in if there are other options

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
cooke city

cooke city for sure gets my vote. The Alpine motel had super nice rooms with great space and I'm sure it would hold all of the hawkers that show up for hawkfest. The supe 8 is nice also but rooms are a little small but cheaper and have a conti. breakfast which is nice. not a huge fan of soda butte but they do have a hot tub and bar restraunt inside.

Either way if we go to cooke and book rooms early enough we will run the town for sure. cant wait to ride again, cooke city was my very first real ride on a hawk and my first ever time to the Mtns. Hawkcity it is!!!!!!!!!!!:face-icon-small-ton

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Wherever we go, we need (in order of importance):

1- Trail access from the hotel (so we don't have to load/unload and drive back and forth everyday)
2- GOOD SNOW and good Hawk Terrain
3- Not too long trail to do to get to the playing areas
4- Conti breakfast was handy at the Crystal Inn this year I thought...

I don't really care about the rest.
Whichever Hotel / City has these 3 or 4 gets my vote.

Thierry

M
Jan 22, 2008
Soda Butte Lodge?

THe SOda Butte Lodge has a lobby beer drinkin area with a big fire place where twenty people can hang out, and the bar ten feet away will seat atleast fifty, and twenty feet from that is there resterant which would be big enough to host the banquet, in the back half, across the road 150 ft away is the Motel 8, every one can park there machines on the road and in the morning the back country is two minutes away, I know the area great and so does Jl snohawk as well as Comisac crew, we could do a night ride, set up a trailer behind a sled and take a BBQ up everyday and have a 1:00 meet at Lulu pass where everyone can visit, eat, then drag race, some big air, terrain is unreal and the town is all about snomachines, they would host all the crazy hawkers well.

S

snow hawk gal

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
Ok well it sounds like Cooke is better riding. So we'll just have to stay at two hotels, no big deal. Super 8 only has thirty rooms which is what we had this year and we will be around 50 rooms next year so. So if you guys are cool with that then I am too :)

O

ozzydog

Dec 17, 2007
Cooke City (and generating funds)

Tammy,
I have to agree with all the above, I would take Cooke City over IS. Park for the very reasons mentioned above.
You are on the ball as far as planning now.
We might have to start booking this spring in oreder to get everyone in one or two close convinent spots.

On a side note, we all know you are the one that makes this event happen. Half of us are so scattered that we could not make it happend if we tried. Thank you for all of your efforts in planning this event.
With that said, we know it takes money to plan such and event, it cannot just come out of pocket, (your pocket) like it has in years past. In my mind we almost need a mecanisim to enable us to gather funds for this event. I might be overstepping my bounds here. But Motorcycle clubs do it, snowmobile clubs do it, why not us?? Slap me guys if I am out of order here, maybe be don't want to be this organized. But it seems this event is growiing, and with that comes difficultys, mainly gathering funds to plan such an event.
Also in the back of my mind I am wondering if we should have the event in one location year after year, I know it might put a hamper on the things a bit. The reason I mention this is, if we found one spot we all liked we could then plan on that spon year after year, accomidatons could be planned way in advance, vendors could plan it, and we might just gain a name for ourselves and get people to attend know it was in a certain spot every year. We could book a year in advance that way also.
Just a thought.
It woudl be nice to get some bigger names on board. We all know the potential of the machines, but does anyone else??

Harley

O

ozzydog

Dec 17, 2007
Everyone's a big name.

You know what I mean by big names. It's all about exposure.

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
My vote would go to Cooke. Maybe this is because it is the only place West I have ridden or because my last name is Cook. LOL. Anyways the riding is just a couple minute ride and is very diverse! Lots of climbing, tree riding and some nice open areas! Open to lodging but too would rather not book at Antlers.

Cooke???

T
Dec 26, 2007
Minnesota
I like the Idea of cooke. Even though I have never been to Hawkfest, I have been to cooke 6 time's over the years. Excellent riding just minuets from cooke.

How bout a differnt date other than V-day. JMO

Last edited:
M
Feb 18, 2009
1- Trail access from the hotel (so we don't have to load/unload and drive back and forth everyday)
2- GOOD SNOW and good Hawk Terrain
3- Not too long trail to do to get to the playing areas

That sounds a whole lot like Cooke, they've got my vote for sure, amazing riding out there

L

LSB

I have been in contact with Tammy hoping to get this thing setup here in Cooke. We (the community and Chamber) definitely look forward to hosting your event! Your going to have to spread it around but nothing in Cooke is 30 seconds from anything else :D

S

snow hawk gal

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
what a nice community

I have been speaking with several business owners in the area...and wow they are such a nice group of people. This is going to be the best Hawkfest ever..We will basically be taking over the town.... Riding hawks down to the store riding hawks from the hotel to go riding, riding hawks to go to breakfast...basically whatever you want to do...

Really just beyond cool...
We are going to have 3 options for Hotels. Alpine Hotel, Super 8 and the Soda Butte Lodge.. I am waiting to get rates from the Alpine Hotel then I will post info on the internet. Its critical we book early early early. The town basically fills up.

Thanks so much guys,

Tammy

Premium Features