Upgrade to Premium
General Snowmobiling Snowmobile related topics only

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
Rockstar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pieps or tracker beacon???

Our group is looking for beacons I have found the tracker or the pieps beacons is there any difference other than $150 and I know I should not be worried about how much they cost but a little bit helps, or is there another beacon that is reasonably priced that would be a better way to go?? And can most beacons be mixed brands and still be used together??

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 01-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Basic Member
FastM8 has a reputation beyond reputeFastM8 has a reputation beyond reputeFastM8 has a reputation beyond reputeFastM8 has a reputation beyond reputeFastM8 has a reputation beyond reputeFastM8 has a reputation beyond reputeFastM8 has a reputation beyond reputeFastM8 has a reputation beyond reputeFastM8 has a reputation beyond reputeFastM8 has a reputation beyond reputeFastM8 has a reputation beyond repute

To answer your question. As long as it has a 457 frequency it is compatible with other beacons. You won't go wrong with either beacon. I have used both and they both work great. As far as ease of use I'd go with the Tracker, I most avy experts would probably agree with me. I would look for something with a long range and easy to use. You might look at the Ortrovox patroller model also. Good luck

Old 01-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Currently: Still posting Pic's and good info...where it can still be edited.
Banned
Good to Go has a reputation beyond reputeGood to Go has a reputation beyond reputeGood to Go has a reputation beyond reputeGood to Go has a reputation beyond reputeGood to Go has a reputation beyond reputeGood to Go has a reputation beyond reputeGood to Go has a reputation beyond reputeGood to Go has a reputation beyond reputeGood to Go has a reputation beyond reputeGood to Go has a reputation beyond reputeGood to Go has a reputation beyond repute

Got the Pieps, love them.

Check this site out for some light reading and comparisons of beacons: Clicky

Old 01-07-2009, 12:29 AM
Basic Member
coptzeer is an unknown quantity at this point

both are very good and easy to use, my wife and i both use the peips dsp and my freinds use the tracker.
compatable...yes as said before as long as it uses the 457MHZ freq. analog or digital makes no diff. the peips came with a nice dvd as a nice intro to understanding the concepts of how it works and how it is to be used ,,,, but unless you use it and practice it may not do much good...
it can be kinda fun for a group to play hide and seek with a becon, makes for good practice!!!!
cop.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Currently: MULE
Ex-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond reputeEx-Member has a reputation beyond repute

^ 457 KHz.

457 MHz puts you in land-mobile service.

Personally I prefer a Tracker.... stupid-easy to use.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:06 AM
Currently: Parting complete Rev 800 162, PM me for parts
Basic Member
One has a reputation beyond reputeOne has a reputation beyond reputeOne has a reputation beyond reputeOne has a reputation beyond reputeOne has a reputation beyond reputeOne has a reputation beyond reputeOne has a reputation beyond reputeOne has a reputation beyond reputeOne has a reputation beyond reputeOne has a reputation beyond reputeOne has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for the Tracker, have it, love it, hope I never need it.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Currently: on a path to no where fast
johnny be bad has a reputation beyond reputejohnny be bad has a reputation beyond reputejohnny be bad has a reputation beyond reputejohnny be bad has a reputation beyond reputejohnny be bad has a reputation beyond reputejohnny be bad has a reputation beyond reputejohnny be bad has a reputation beyond reputejohnny be bad has a reputation beyond reputejohnny be bad has a reputation beyond reputejohnny be bad has a reputation beyond reputejohnny be bad has a reputation beyond repute

i love my pieps! easy to use and has multi burial feature! awesome unit!!!!

Old 01-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Currently: Another happy Pro rider !!
High Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond repute

You may also like to check out the Ortovox S1. My wife bought one for me this fall and I love it. Extremely easy to use, be it single or multiple burials. I also have an S.O.S. beacon that I took my avalanche training with and feel very proficient using. However, it does not come close to the ease of use and the speed at which you can locate a victim with the S1. Rather than relying on a flashing row of L.E.D.'s, it actually shows you the victims on a screen (up to 4 at a time) and tells you how many meters you are away from each victim. Unless you're a complete idiot, the S1 will pretty much take you by the hand and lead you to the victim, It has one feature that I really like now, but didn't think about until the terrible tragedy near Fernie. If it does not detect movement for 90 seconds, it automatically switches back from "receive" to "transmit". So if you are searching for burial victims and a second slide hits you, the S1 will switch back and start transmitting so other rescuers can have a chance of locating you.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:50 AM
Currently: bored
Basic Member
Freak has a reputation beyond reputeFreak has a reputation beyond reputeFreak has a reputation beyond reputeFreak has a reputation beyond reputeFreak has a reputation beyond reputeFreak has a reputation beyond reputeFreak has a reputation beyond reputeFreak has a reputation beyond reputeFreak has a reputation beyond reputeFreak has a reputation beyond reputeFreak has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me when I read up on them the Pieps had a slight edge on the rest. I think its a bit more money tho.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Currently: Loving my PRO
DragonFreak has a reputation beyond reputeDragonFreak has a reputation beyond reputeDragonFreak has a reputation beyond reputeDragonFreak has a reputation beyond reputeDragonFreak has a reputation beyond reputeDragonFreak has a reputation beyond reputeDragonFreak has a reputation beyond reputeDragonFreak has a reputation beyond reputeDragonFreak has a reputation beyond reputeDragonFreak has a reputation beyond reputeDragonFreak has a reputation beyond repute
Old 01-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Currently: kill wolves anyways
Basic Member
kinney31 has a reputation beyond reputekinney31 has a reputation beyond reputekinney31 has a reputation beyond reputekinney31 has a reputation beyond reputekinney31 has a reputation beyond reputekinney31 has a reputation beyond reputekinney31 has a reputation beyond reputekinney31 has a reputation beyond reputekinney31 has a reputation beyond reputekinney31 has a reputation beyond reputekinney31 has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 01-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Currently: Waiting on the weekend
BigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Currently: Wishing i was sledding
rjm350 has a reputation beyond reputerjm350 has a reputation beyond reputerjm350 has a reputation beyond reputerjm350 has a reputation beyond reputerjm350 has a reputation beyond reputerjm350 has a reputation beyond reputerjm350 has a reputation beyond reputerjm350 has a reputation beyond reputerjm350 has a reputation beyond reputerjm350 has a reputation beyond reputerjm350 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Basic Member
yardsale_oem is a name known to allyardsale_oem is a name known to allyardsale_oem is a name known to allyardsale_oem is a name known to allyardsale_oem is a name known to allyardsale_oem is a name known to allyardsale_oem is a name known to allyardsale_oem is a name known to allyardsale_oem is a name known to allyardsale_oem is a name known to allyardsale_oem is a name known to all

Click Here to Register

Old 01-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Currently: Sled Snowboard Mtn bike
dre has a brilliant futuredre has a brilliant futuredre has a brilliant futuredre has a brilliant futuredre has a brilliant futuredre has a brilliant futuredre has a brilliant futuredre has a brilliant futuredre has a brilliant futuredre has a brilliant futuredre has a brilliant future

Click Here to Register

Old 01-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Currently: getting ready for the spring rush!
Kevco has a reputation beyond reputeKevco has a reputation beyond reputeKevco has a reputation beyond reputeKevco has a reputation beyond reputeKevco has a reputation beyond reputeKevco has a reputation beyond reputeKevco has a reputation beyond reputeKevco has a reputation beyond reputeKevco has a reputation beyond reputeKevco has a reputation beyond reputeKevco has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Basic Member
Rockstar is an unknown quantity at this point

Click Here to Register