• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Will you take THE AVALANCHE CHALLENGE??

S

Stinky151

Sep 28, 2017
Flathead Valley, Montana
I am working on getting all of this set up for our family right now. I am new to riding, but my wife has done it her whole life, and never carried equipment. she agrees though, its just a risk we cannot take. with a few exceptions, we are staying on trails in minimal to no risk terrain. Groomed trails in heavily wooded terrain with little exposure. Not the most fun, but its what we have to do. I have gone through some training with the forest service but I am working on getting into more courses. I am also teaching my nine year old and he is riding his own sled, and our four year old rides with mom. I used to teach the state motorcycle rider education courses and safety is paramount to me.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND I AGREE 100% AND WILL BE DOING THIS, JUST VENTING

Here is where I have a hard time.... this critical, life saving equipment, which to me is as important as a helmet or any other gear to wear, is SO high priced....Someone cant make a less expensive beacon? We are getting avy kits for her and I with taxes, and beacons for the younger ones, and it will cost as much as we paid for ONE snowmobile. In addition, when my older boys come next season, I need to get two more beacons.

I want to teach the kids right, and make these things habit. I just wish they could come down in price. I don't ride a $10,000 sled for a reason...

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I am working on getting all of this set up for our family right now. I am new to riding, but my wife has done it her whole life, and never carried equipment. she agrees though, its just a risk we cannot take. with a few exceptions, we are staying on trails in minimal to no risk terrain. Groomed trails in heavily wooded terrain with little exposure. Not the most fun, but its what we have to do. I have gone through some training with the forest service but I am working on getting into more courses. I am also teaching my nine year old and he is riding his own sled, and our four year old rides with mom. I used to teach the state motorcycle rider education courses and safety is paramount to me.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND I AGREE 100% AND WILL BE DOING THIS, JUST VENTING

Here is where I have a hard time.... this critical, life saving equipment, which to me is as important as a helmet or any other gear to wear, is SO high priced....Someone cant make a less expensive beacon? We are getting avy kits for her and I with taxes, and beacons for the younger ones, and it will cost as much as we paid for ONE snowmobile. In addition, when my older boys come next season, I need to get two more beacons.

I want to teach the kids right, and make these things habit. I just wish they could come down in price. I don't ride a $10,000 sled for a reason...

Another option to get up and going is to watch Ebay for transponders (new terminology for "beacon") and other gear. I have seen a few people find some decent deals on there. But your right to jump all in at once it's a pricey pill to take.

S

Stinky151

Sep 28, 2017
Flathead Valley, Montana
I look at the transponders kind of like helmets, some things just aren’t worth the risk to buy used. I work directly with the avalanche center here and have just heard too many horror stories.

I just think a huge leap in avalanche safety could be made if that key piece of equipment could be made more affordable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I look at the transponders kind of like helmets, some things just aren’t worth the risk to buy used. I work directly with the avalanche center here and have just heard too many horror stories.

I just think a huge leap in avalanche safety could be made if that key piece of equipment could be made more affordable

If you work with the Avalanche Center why are you not getting a discount? Nearly all professional organizations offer them on avalanche equipment.

What is "more affordable" to you out of curiosity?

S

Stinky151

Sep 28, 2017
Flathead Valley, Montana
I’m not part of the center, they base out of my office. The forecasters are coworkers on a winter detail. I can get a discount on a single transponder, and my wife can get her discount on one. But the other four are full price. Given the current pace of technology it seems they should be in the $100-$200 range. And I guess the base model bca unit is only $240, but how old is the technology there. I’d be curious to know the cost of manufacture compared to retail.

My main point is, the more affordable something like this becomes, the more common their use will become. I agree whole heartedly that they are critical and should be used.

iplocal

Always looking for new mountain riding partners!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2015
Island Park, ID & Mt St Helens, WA
Personally, I don't understand why someone has not manufactured a backpack or a helmet with the beacon built in. The jet force airbag/backpack already has to be plugged in to charge, why not add a beacon in? There are helmets coming out right now with heads up displays, another opportunity to build in a beacon. Same thing with the BCA radios since those have to be charged as well. Someday!

Premium Features