• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Climate change

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Sorry folks no more snowmobiles, trucks, heat for homes or even lawn mowers...and people actually vote for this kind of crazy!:eyebrows::face-icon-small-ton
Ocasio-Cortez: 'There's no debate' that fossil fuel production should stop
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/oc...ebate-that-fossil-fuel-production-should-stop

That poor stupid woman is one of the dumbest I have ever seen.
I wouldn't piss up her azz if her guts were on fire.
Or to coin a phrase often used by my dad.... She isn't worth sour owl s#!t.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
We had snow accumulation October 10.
That's the earliest that I can remember.
Must be global warming.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
.....gonna regret it but gotta ask cause bored....

How do the recent extremely dry/hot drought summers in the west fit in to the redneck climate science report? We had enough forest fires to smoke out most of the northern hemisphere for a month, and no rain for 2+ months....not typical to say the least. Would you take that as an indication of climate change? It would only seem logical....as every time your have frost you post it as evidence of "no climate change" .... correct?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT

How do the recent extremely dry/hot drought summers in the west fit in to the redneck climate science report? We had enough forest fires to smoke out most of the northern hemisphere for a month, and no rain for 2+ months....not typical to say the least. Would you take that as an indication of climate change? It would only seem logical....as every time your have frost you post it as evidence of "no climate change" .... correct?

We've had hotter and drier. Don't remember when it was. Early 2000's. 100 degree days went into the fall and a bunch during summer. So yes, going off that we have had climate change. Cooler and wetter. Somewhere gets it and somewhere goes dry.

BLITZKRIEG

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2011
MT
Dont worry Jay we are all bored while waiting for the snow to fly!:juggle:
No rain for two plus months and your ready to jump on the hysteria wagon, Im not.
Know any old farmers? My Great grandparents, grandparents & Unlce have been farming in MT since 1920. They would recall times with no decent rain for years, periods of drought for years long before the 1940s and after.
They simply called it a cycle and if waited out it would cycle back to years of plentiful rain and to much snow(if there was such a thing). Then over time it would cycle back to drought years and then to "normal years."
Last winter in Montana it was predicted to be mild, turned out it was the coldest with the most snow we have seen in years, Billings broke its snowfall record. Now ask me if I believe weather/climate predictions.
Jay, I believe the climate is cycling like it always has, of course this is open to discussion and I welcome the debate to sooth the boredom.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn

Extreme Forest fires directly caused by the lack of industrial logging, Forest management, and the persistence of tree huggers. The same tree hugger that keep the concrete jungle spreading out further cause they aren't killing nature if it's just being transformed into a starbucks or something else kichy that appeases them.
You could be right about the change though. Your just pointing the finger the wrong way. From an emmisions stand point our coal is a pin drop compared to the two month Forest fire smoke, or a Hawaiian volcano, what about the amass of people just existing in cities that drive cars and breathe up all the air! Little edited Clayton bigsby! We need a plague

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Extreme Forest fires directly caused by the lack of industrial logging, Forest management, and the persistence of tree huggers.

We need a plague
No arguement from me on either of those 2 points. But I will say that in 35 years of living here...the last 3 years we have seen extreme weather that has been unprecedented in my life time. Short term trend...long term trend...climate change? Man I have no idea...people way smarter than me are working on that one.

And totally agree that a massive population reduction would be the only real “fix” for human environmental disruption.

Dont worry Jay we are all bored while waiting for the snow to fly!:juggle:
No rain for two plus months and your ready to jump on the hysteria wagon, Im not.
Know any old farmers? My Great grandparents, grandparents & Unlce have been farming in MT since 1920. They would recall times with no decent rain for years, periods of drought for years long before the 1940s and after.
They simply called it a cycle and if waited out it would cycle back to years of plentiful rain and to much snow(if there was such a thing). Then over time it would cycle back to drought years and then to "normal years."
Last winter in Montana it was predicted to be mild, turned out it was the coldest with the most snow we have seen in years, Billings broke its snowfall record. Now ask me if I believe weather/climate predictions.
Jay, I believe the climate is cycling like it always has, of course this is open to discussion and I welcome the debate to sooth the boredom.
Ya I hate fall...if there is a type of climate change that gives me 6 months summer 6 months winter, sign me up.

No hysteria for me, I promise I own as much internal combustion stuff as anyone and use it as frequently as time permits. That said I am under no impression that we (humans, not specifically IC enthusiasts) are doing the world/environment any favours. I am 100% confident we are having measurable negative affects on the planet...not a question in my mind. I’m also 100% confident that it’s going to hold together for my lifetime, so it’s not something that keeps me up at night....but generally speaking it’s a concern for sure. And I do tend to believe the scientific evidence over the anecdotal “it was cold this morning so it’s all good” or “it was hot this summer so we’re all gonna die” evidence.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I think it is the hysteria many of us have lost interest in. I was in a college geology class in 1990, University of Minnesota. The professor spent the better part of a week in class on climate change way back then. He had the class convinced that within 15 years Minneapolis would have the climate of Houston. Almost 30 years later, Minneapolis still has the climate of a northern state, plenty of cold and snow.

If the scientists and experts can not be honest or accurate about their predictions, how can we trust ANY of the ideas that they profess?

What we do know for sure is that the earth has been through thousands of cycles of hot and cold, with and without mans influence. It isn't mans influence causing the changes, never has been. Thus far the earth has shrugged off everything man has been able to throw at it. Then it demonstrates how feeble our attempts are with things like volcanic eruptions. They it completely recovers from that in just a very short period of time too.

I think you would have to be completely ignorant to believe your car or sled or airplane was destroying the earth...

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I think it is the hysteria many of us have lost interest in. I was in a college geology class in 1990, University of Minnesota. The professor spent the better part of a week in class on climate change way back then. He had the class convinced that within 15 years Minneapolis would have the climate of Houston. Almost 30 years later, Minneapolis still has the climate of a northern state, plenty of cold and snow.

If the scientists and experts can not be honest or accurate about their predictions, how can we trust ANY of the ideas that they profess?

What we do know for sure is that the earth has been through thousands of cycles of hot and cold, with and without mans influence. It isn't mans influence causing the changes, never has been. Thus far the earth has shrugged off everything man has been able to throw at it. Then it demonstrates how feeble our attempts are with things like volcanic eruptions. They it completely recovers from that in just a very short period of time too.

I think you would have to be completely ignorant to believe your car or sled or airplane was destroying the earth...

I agree with this 99%
To state 100% belief without absolute proof is reserved for only thing, and that is not earthly.

You stated above the garbage that college professors fill our naive youth's heads with.
Clowns like these are the reason for college degrees becoming a joke.
Give me 2 job applicants, 1 with a degree and 1 without. Unless the position requires that piece of paper, I would choose the applicant that hasn't been subjected to the leftist brainwashing institution EVERY TIME.

F

freekweet mods

Feb 3, 2008
Massive wildfires from climate change? (maybe). Wildland fire fighting has become a HUGE business, billions of dollars are spent to control these fires.I have watched while some of these fires have been proliferated by the ones fighting it to make it a big deal- the bigger the fire the more money comes in.And then all the silly reasons or no reason at all as to what starts most of them, again no fire,no business.

Jean-Luc Picard

Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
Blackfoot, Idaho
www.bennyfifeaudio.com
I think we're definitely affecting it. The temperature is getting warmer consistently, maybe not in a steady climb & maybe not in your specific community. To say humans don't affect the climate is absurd, especially considering the amount of fumes most of your toys & trucks (and all the factories that build them) put out. But I'm also not a doomsdayer. We have had some extreme ice ages & carbon ages through the aeons. I don't know that I want to live through a carbon or Ice age myself, but it can be done. (Technically speaking, we're still in the tail end of an ice age now - something they don't seem to mention in the debate). Humans have increased the rate of fluctutation.

That being said, I think if we use our brains & a free market system free of subsidies, we can reduce the rate of fluctuation & "Climate Change" or "Global Warming." GM in the early 90's created a prototype car that got 100 mpg. Not a hybrid, not an electric. Just a good-old combustion engine. I read about it in Popular science as a teenager. So... What happened to it? Pretty sure Big Oil squashed it. Pretty sure Big Oil was behind Trump squashing Obama's standards he put up too. I'm not really all that in favor of the government saying "you must get your fleet to such & such MPG," but what does a little incentive hurt? Ultimately, people will vote with their pocket books, if given the opportunity. I'd love to have a powerful electric vehicle that I can plug in to affordable solar panels to charge. Not so much because I'm a tree hugging guy, but because I think if you can use the sun to power something, that's about as cheap as you can get, with as little interference from Big Brother as you can get. And thanks to guys like Elon Musk, I think its on its way. And that is how things get fixed right. Not from the top down.

Jean-Luc Picard

Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
Blackfoot, Idaho
www.bennyfifeaudio.com

Mankind has been on the earth for an incredibly miniscule amount of time, cosmically or even geologically speaking. And fossil fuels have been used for a miniscule fraction of the time that Mankind has been around. I'm not saying I buy what the scientists are feeding us. Both sides serve out heaping piles o' propaganda. But if smoking is bad for you personally (and if you doubt this, you really should watch someone smoke their first cigarette), don't you think it might have a little bit of an effect on the world around you?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
To say humans don't affect the climate is absurd, especially considering the amount of fumes most of your toys & trucks (and all the factories that build them) put out.

I agree that it's quite probable our activities affect climate change, but I doubt that this effect is measurable.
Silly to argue, as it cannot be proven or disproven.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I agree that it's quite probable our activities affect climate change, but I doubt that this effect is measurable.
Silly to argue, as it cannot be proven or disproven.

If we are not able to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt by now, it is utter hogwash.

it is my firm belief that the whole idea is a money making scheme feeding off of peoples fears.

The proof is, it is working...

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Not so much because I'm a tree hugging guy, but because I think if you can use the sun to power something, that's about as cheap as you can get, with as little interference from Big Brother as you can get. And thanks to guys like Elon Musk, I think its on its way. And that is how things get fixed right. Not from the top down.

How much money have "we the people" given Musk? That is almost the definition of top down big brother interference IMO.

Solar is a LONG way off. I know somebody in the development side of the industry. The energy it take to produce electricity producing cells can never be recovered during their functional lifespan. Running solar panels today is going backwards.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
How much money have "we the people" given Musk? That is almost the definition of top down big brother interference IMO.

Solar is a LONG way off. I know somebody in the development side of the industry. The energy it take to produce electricity producing cells can never be recovered during their functional lifespan. Running solar panels today is going backwards.

Ouch, same goes for making ethanol fuel. If it wasn’t for our government throwing our tax dollars at both there would be no such thing.

Premium Features