• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

pro rmk turbo build

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
Ok well I am building a kit for my 800 xp and now my buddy wants to build one for his pro. he is actually the one doing my fabrication work, we know what turbo and stuff were going to use.

We are just wondering what controller box we would use and what injectors?

Also I read something about a butterfly style throtle plate not needing a bov, is this true?

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
because no one uses the turbo we want to use in a kit, plus we are going to run an external wastegate. if he decides to pull the triger it will be deadly just need to be able to get the fuel to it.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
not to be negative, but even the best turbo companies are still having trouble with the pro turbo's, why reinvent the wheel?

unless you have all the parts in hand to do the build( ie no cost factor) it just seems like your gonna spend your entire season tuning the thing and trying to make it work, idk, maybe you like tuning?

if i was gonna do it tho, i would talk to justin @ silber turbos(his kits seem to have the best feedback on the pros so far), he will probably have everything you need
-attitude controller
-misc piping
-a brain to pick
-injectors
-etc etc

kudos to you for wanting to tackle the project tho:boxing:

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
I have a line on everything I need aside from the attitude box and injectors.

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
Not to be a prick, but the PRO rmk is so tricky to fuel, you will never get it to run. I'am just being honest, our turbos kits were held back and extra 3 months because of issues that kept coming up in our fuel tune up.

Buying a fuel controller and hoping its going to work, will not cut it with the pro. It will take custom mapping just for your turbo and design. Plan on buying a $3000 datalogger if you want to attemp, that will save you months of field testing.

O by the way we dont use an Attitude controller, we are strictly on our own, running a similar Dobeck controller, with our developed software and tune.

If you have any questions or concerns I will gladly help out.

Thanks
Justin

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i would tend to agree on fueling with these fella's a lot..

this fall when they were trying to get them running right justin spent a LOT of time out testing on the hills then heading to dobeck to work on mapping issues and i know they are all some pretty smart fellows when it comes to getting things running well.

if what you really want to do is run a different turbo and wastegate, i would honesty buy the kit and just swap and sell the turbo and install your own setup. might not be the cheapest way to do it, but your miles ahead to start with it. hopefully the mapping in the box would cover what your doing. i would bet it would as i doubt you would change things that much the the box would no longer be in the right range for mapping.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
Not to be a prick, but the PRO rmk is so tricky to fuel, you will never get it to run. I'am just being honest, our turbos kits were held back and extra 3 months because of issues that kept coming up in our fuel tune up.

Buying a fuel controller and hoping its going to work, will not cut it with the pro. It will take custom mapping just for your turbo and design. Plan on buying a $3000 datalogger if you want to attemp, that will save you months of field testing.

O by the way we dont use an Attitude controller, we are strictly on our own, running a similar Dobeck controller, with our developed software and tune.

Thanks
Justin

...right from the horses mouth....

it would be kind of lame for your buddy to have such a sweet sled that didnt want to run very well due to tuning issues.

just buy a silber kit and be done with it

sorry, we all sound so negative(only cus i like riding more than tuning), honestly i think it would be cool to do your own set up, i just dont have the knowledge to build my own. Good Luck!

Last edited:
T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
hmm sounds complicated haha, I guess I will be the one to break it to him that he will be buying a kit, maybe an ovs, and we will put a billet wheel in it. Thanks for the advice guys

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If I were you... contact Justin Silber directly with what you want to run and see if he can help you out with a "kit".

What is it that you are looking for that the current kit offerings are not delivering??

As for the BOV... there are many out there that have been running the lower boost setups, say sub 12 lbs 2860's without a BOV... for the higher boost "Race gas" kits, it seems that most do run a BOV.

OVS and Boondocker have external wastegate setups now... I believe that you can order a Silber kit set up with an option for an external wastegate... I'm sure he'll chime in on this.

As Justin said above... don't confuse the Dobeck versions with each other... It is more the mapping than the "Box" that gets the job done.

You will, I'm sure, see some other controllers or stand alone units emerge in the near future...The Power Commander brand may have something to offer as well as others... but for now the choices are Dobeck variants... Boondocker has theirs but, I do not believe that they will sell you a stand alone unit.

With the PRO RMK... it will boil down to how much time you want to spend tinkering as compared to riding. Both are good, but go into it with both eyes open.

DSC_7569-1.jpg

Last edited:
T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
We want the lightness of a tial housing combined with the fast spool of a billet wheel, rock solid boost control with an external wastegate and after that just the plain old self satisfaction of building something awesome that flat out rips.

And I was not confusing the dobeck boxes, I know they are not all the same I do not know who uses what boxes or who programs them so sorry for the confusion

Last edited by a moderator:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
The programming of the fuel controller is done by the turbo developers themselves... AeroCharger and Silber Turbos have been working closely with Dobeck... but they both have their own programming console and extensive field work with racing and consumer packages to refine their own proprietary programming.

I believe that the pic above is an install of a TiAl housing with a Turbo-Smart waste gate and the Precision-Turbo billet front end.

Justin, would you be able to set him up with a Tial equipped kit with an external wastegate?

This year should be great for the Turbo World with all the options available.

Good luck with your project.. sounds like fun.

Last edited:
P

product tester

Nov 27, 2007

Thanks
Justin
I didnt have any trouble with the fuel control.
I use the attitude. It was running the first day on the snow. fine tuned it a few times but no det from fuel control.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Shane,

We really did not see any feedback/info on your PRO-RMK units this past season.

Post up some pics and details.

How many of the PRO-RMK kits are in consumers hands not counting the development sleds like Hurleys etc?

I've heard good things about your kits and customer service.

Thanks,
MH

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Shains track record speaks for itself, as he's been building top notch twisted kits for years.
I don't see him in every brand forum peddling his kits, or putting down other kits. I know for a fact, that he's willing to help fellow turbo guys out (even if the kit isn't his).
I don't see the childish thinking that somebody will copy his design.
Twisted has been setting the bar for years with his kits, give the guy a call he's very knowledgeable and will talk your ear off.

R

Ryanlilly

Jan 18, 2011
Enumclaw, Washington
I know for a fact it doesnt run as consitant as our 3.5 box and programming. Also FPR's are a joke, ditch that garbage. We should meet up, I will make your setup fart and pop all day long.

Call next season if you want me to write map for your boxes.

Take care Shane.
Justin

Is it just me or was that awfully arrogant??

Premium Features