• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1997 583 Summit Performance ?

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Hey guys.
I have a buddy looking to start sledding and he has his heart set on a 583 summit. This will be his first sled and I looked at it last night it is pretty nice. he is buying it from his aunt bone stock 295 miles. What can we do to this to get a little more power? is there a pipe can still out there to buy. I mean what would you guys recomend? All I know to do for sure is put a riser on maybe some new skis other than that I have no clue about this motor. I know there was a 670 and that was the bif boy but I would think I could do some thing. Any ideas would be great alond with where to get it. thanks

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I think that would make a great starting sled, like when I started a few years ago myself, don`t need a bunch of power you can`t or don`t know how to ride it. I am still learning and I started on a 580 Arctic Cat. And I`m sure the 583 Doo motor will probably walk all over it. sounds like a nice deal. The seat , ski and riser mods will difinetly make it more enjoyable. Power mods should come later.

Good Luck, wildcard28

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
x2

Yup! Nice beginner sled. Put some bar risers on it, some tunnel traction of some kind for the feet, and ride it! Leave it bone stock...not much out there for 583's anyway.

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
The 583 should be close to 100 hp if it has decent compression and those sleds really were not any heavier than a Rev or ZX, a newer lightweight track would probably make the most difference. The early Summits were usually baseline jetted pretty rich, if it has stock main jets in it you might jet it down 1 or 2 sizes but watch your plugs and piston wash just to be sure. I think Dynoport might still be making a lightweight silencer for that or possibly Precision Performance Products, they both specialize in Skidoo stuff, the stock silencers were very heavy in those sleds. I put dual runner skis on a 98 Summit a few years ago and eliminated the jerky, darting steering on hardpack snow and trails, otherwise just make sure it runs up to 8000 to 8100 rpm and you'll have all the power a novice needs.

The 583's made great hp for what they were and were bulletproof, go onto Dootalk.com, the 583 is still alive and well in the east. They were just a shrunk design of the 670's, and the S-2000 chassis was a great chassis, benefit from a skid set-back if you found a slightly longer track. But for a beginners sled, I think it would be a great choice!

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO

Thanks alot guys good info. I might just but a bar riser on and a mbrp can because that is all I can find. I found a PSI single pipe and can claims 10hp gain but not sure if that is possible.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I would keep the stock pipe.....I had a '96 583 and it was a great sled. Bar riser, maybe go with more track and appropriate gearing and clutching changes for the track. Good sleds!:beer;

Premium Features