• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

18, 16, 15 Cat weights. And 16 Axys Silber turbo

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
18 Mountain Cat 153 3". Full of fluids. Has Muff Pot on. No snow flap or front idler wheels. Gripper Skis
picture.php

picture.php

16 M8000 153 3". Full of fluids. Stock Can back on and ready to sell. BM Fab skinny boards. No snow flap on. No idler wheels. Gripper Skis
picture.php

picture.php

15 M8000 153. Full of fluids. No snow flap. Gripper Skis. Barcode front end. Diamond S Titanium quiet Can. 2.6 track. Muff Pot on. No idler wheels. Has windshield bag on and knee pads.
picture.php

picture.php

16 Axys 153. Full of fluids. Powerclaw 3" track. Ice age rails, Zbroz shocks. Chaincase model. Kmod a-arms. BM Fab boards. Muff Pot on. Silber Turbo. BM Fab Front & Rear Bumpers. 2.6 snow flap. Windshield and under seat bags on.
picture.php

picture.php

So all in all numbers look good on the 18. With a Ti can on it will be around 528lbs full of fluids. 9lbs lighter than the 16. Oil tank is smaller though.

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
so a couple pounds lighter than a 17MC maybe.
what does the BM boards add to the 16?
lets see the spec sheet from cat!!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Boards are hard to weigh unless you weigh the sled right before install and after. I assume B&M board install would be similar to my experience with the Cat Mtn-Pro Boards: Its hard to get an accurate weight of these with all the rivets since the nails are separated from the mandrels once the rivets are installed. I put about 1/2 the remaining rivets on the scale to try to account for this. What I do know is the 2017 162 MC chassis was 27.84lb, 2017 MC chassis and cat mountain pro boards was 32.1lb, and 2014 SnoPro chassis with BDX boards was 33.3lb. See post 99: https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416331&page=4&highlight=skinny+boards

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I'd guess BM fab boards 4-5 pounds heavier. Muff pot with steel base plate on the 18 probably adds a couple pounds too

If the stock can was on the 15, then the 18 would be around 20lbs lighter

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Sled Weights

Yeah seems like ~550 lbs. RTR weight for a mountain sled with a LQ 800 mill & 11+ gallon tank is the norm for durability, any thing less in factory trim results in weaker structures as the miles/use add up. Yes a lwt hood & lwt can may lose 30 lbs. but we're not gonna see that in factory sleds at current price points. Instead we get (some brands or models) lwt frames, over-structures, tunnels or rails leading to structural failures. A sled does not have to be heavy to be strong (exotic materials= $$) but too light can be weak! I will buy the sled with functional weight, a reliabile engine, then shed pounds as money & good sense allow. Happy Riding:juggle:

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
So 9 pounds dry is the diff from 17-18 mountaincats, from cats specs.
Thanks!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
So any mod sled you build is usually lightened up and this often makes them a little weaker. I ride Polaris and what I like is there are 2 models. One with the chaincase, 3" track, aluminum rear bumper, steel drive shaft etc. And then there is the light version with 2.6" track, carbon fibre, belt drive, aluminum drive shaft etc. This does give choice to the consumer without having to build your own. If I buy the light version I am very aware that my riding style and maintenance schedule may need to be adjusted. I also do feel the weight loss and it is worth it to me. It would be nice if other manufacturers had this approach. Buy your Cat the way it is or a light weight model with smaller plastic oil tank, it should have belt drive, lighter hood, no idler wheels, lighter track option, etc., etc.
There is no doubt I would be interested in the Cats if they had a light version near my light weight Polaris. I know I could lighten up a Cat with pipe, can etc but I also do this to my Polaris and at the end of the day the Cat would still be 30-40 lbs. heavier.

I am happy to see the weight window narrowing with these new models. Maybe by 2020 they will all have a dry weight under 400lbs.:face-icon-small-hap

Choices are nice.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
They still sell the 120 ZR Kitty Cat, it comes in around 120 lbs i think...lol

Cat will likely never sell a 800 mtn sled where the
drivetrain cant reliably handle a 3 inch track...

I would however like to see a factory lightweight hood...

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I sure hope your scale is not correct. My early build 162 3" was 547lbs full of all fluids, tool bag and extra belt. Considering my 162 vs your 153 gives you a 5-6lb advantage and you have the 18' model with the extra light weight stuff my early build doesn't have, you should be under 540lbs. We both have exact same scale as well.
My post from a few months ago
https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432042&highlight=Weight

Last edited:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Well I just weighed myself on the hanging scale, and then weighed myself on a bathroom scale. They were identical.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I'll check my scale the same way. The only thing you added was muff pot? Did you have extra belt and tool bag?

IF the production model does weigh more than the early build, it wouldn't be the first time a sled manufacturer had a production model that was different than the early release sled.

I'll try and weigh an 18' ER 162 side by side with a production 162 when I can. Same scale, side by side is the only real way to tell for sure.

Last edited:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I wonder if they changed the tunnel, as there were some early builds where people crushed it in behind the seat. Doesn't look any different though.

I have the muff pot on, but I took off the snow flap and front idler wheels. And some side panel foam. Didn't have a spare belt or tool bag on.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Soap Box

Again, Yeah, We all fantasize about that sub-400 lb. 200+ HP, super handling, carbon fiber/titanium mountain sled at $12K. But RTR weights add ~ 100 lbs sans rider. Why is it that Polaris Assault is 20+ lbs heavier than the AXyss, BRP's Freeride is 20+ lbs heavier than the Summit? Arctic Cats are heavier than the competitions premium deep snow sleds, but not the back-country/hill-climb models?:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con

Last edited:
Premium Features