• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track Pitch

B
Nov 26, 2007
I am thinking of extending my track on mt 1997 Summit. This is my first sled so I'm still trying to figure it out. I know D&R's are like hens teeth, so as I've read 8 tooth drivers are a must for a 2" track. But, what pitch do I have with my track?

S

Skidoohmx

Nov 26, 2007
Deary, Idaho
If you go the 8 tooth route I would get antiratchet drivers to allow you to run the track looser. If you don't you have to run the track quite tight with 8 tooth drivers to keep it from ratcheting and then there is a lot of friction. 2.52

Aug 27, 2009
Laramie, WY
Pitch is the distance from tooth to tooth on a gear. The higher the pitch 2.86, 3.00 the further the fiberglass drive rods in the track with be from one another. The further apart the drive rods are the lighter and easier to flex the track becomes, reducing the rotating mass and internal friction. Thus the larger pitch numbers on modern sleds.

Just put a polaris series IV 159" 2.125 on my 98 670 Summit X. I used WPS tunnel and rail extensions and Wahl Bros 8 tooth combo drivers 2.52 pitch. Gonna put it on the snow tomorrow. It was relatively easy only minor drilling and cutting. I also had to lower the upper idler wheels to clear the coolers. My stock reinforcement brackets already had another hole just had to drill the tunnel for a bolt hole.

You can put whatever length of track on you want and since your looking at changing drivers you could easily get a different pitch track and drivers to match.

P1010338.JPG

Last edited:

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I have put a Arctic Cat M Series 153x15x2.25 3.0pitch track on my 97` Summit I got the track for a Good price, and now they are plentyfull since alot of Cat guys are taking them and the 162`s off to install the new Powerclaw on there Cats, I did have to buy the Wahl Bros Antiratchet 3.0pitch 7tooth drivers (1 1/4inch shaft). I put this track in place of a 151 set up so I did have to move the skid back 1inch to take up the slack difference from the 151 to 153, it was a bit more work than normal but the tracks I can put on now are alot more plentyfull. May one day I can put the 162 Cat track or even the New Powerclaw on, since it is set up for it now.

Wildcard28

Premium Features