• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder pro skis vs. Powder hound skis

J
Sep 4, 2013
Hey I am looking at getting at getting new skis. I have narrowed it down to the powder pros and the 7 inch powder hounds. I ride 60% on trail and 40% of trail. I like to ride aggressive and I want good flotation in a ski and to have them to boondock and sidehill well. So if you guy can give me reviews and which one you would pick. That would help me out huge.

J

joshua335

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
What sled? I had powder pro's on my old XP and now my "new to me" XP I'm gonna run SLP SLT skis. Gets good reviews from most.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
I ride the 8" Powderhound on my M8 and honestly, they have their ups and downs, they dart pretty bad on trails which sucks. And the plastic itself on the skis is way to weak, if you like to get your sled on edge in your shop for any reason beware the plastic on the skis will bend up it is way to soft. Also I broke a ski strap just by having a buddy give me a ski pull, but they did replace that free of charge so I cant really complain there. Overall I like the skis as a general ski, would I buy it again? Probably not.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'm pretty sure Sled_guy has recommended SLP SLT skis on the Edge chassis in the past. I'm tempted to put some on my wifes '04 if I find some for a fair price.

Paul_Aris, no linky.

B

bwylde

Mar 19, 2011
Vancouver Island
I run 8" Powderhounds and i find them too soft. I don't find they dart, but their turning capabilities could be better, and i think a stiffer ski would make a little difference sidehilling also. I'm a big guy (280) on a slimmed down 1000rt, so any ski might be suckholing under that, but i think i am going to try SLP Powderpros this year. I ride 60-70% off trail.

Ryan-41

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Cheyenne, Wyoming
www.myspace.com
I run the Powder Pro's on my sleds and love the way they are off trail, they hold an edge really well in steep sidehills and they turn pretty well I think! They dart kinda bad on the trail, but I hardly ride the trail so that doesn't really matter to me! I would go with the Powder Pro's!!

Ryan

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Powder Pro's work well, but we have found that the SLP SLT actually works better out west for us! Less darting, still has great flotation, and has the ability to use a decent carbide with out sacrificing mountain drivability!

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Hey I am looking at getting at getting new skis. I have narrowed it down to the powder pros and the 7 inch powder hounds. I ride 60% on trail and 40% of trail. I like to ride aggressive and I want good flotation in a ski and to have them to boondock and sidehill well. So if you guy can give me reviews and which one you would pick. That would help me out huge.

I have them both No and No.theres is a better option

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
the suspense is killing me...:gossip:

The Poo Pro Gripper ski. Search for my thread on Doo talk.XP section [ Ski Test}about what it does. Extreme float and power steering even in slop snow. Hard precise carving bottom turns.Tracks great on the trail in. Powder pros and sly dogs are sitting in the shelf. They both have shortfalls.

Last edited:

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I bought a gen 2 chassie that came with the slp slt skis. I was dissapointed when I realized they weren't the powder pros, thought I'd have to replace them. After very little time on them I came to realize these are probably the best ski I've ever tried. I can't say if there is better out there but the slt's work really good, they float good, don't kick up snow and turn like your on rails.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I bought a gen 2 chassie that came with the slp slt skis. I was dissapointed when I realized they weren't the powder pros, thought I'd have to replace them. After very little time on them I came to realize these are probably the best ski I've ever tried. I can't say if there is better out there but the slt's work really good, they float good, don't kick up snow and turn like your on rails.

I have SLT,s also, They are a narrow ski and little float, however Great trail ski

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
In the midwest there are a lot more trails. We actually like the powder pros on the trial and off. We ride probably 50% trails and 50% off trail. We have nice lake affect powder and it can get deep quick in the right spots. Plus we also ride out west. We fine the powder pros are great off trail and are nice and aggressive on trail giving that point and shoot feeling. At the speeds we carry it is critical the front end hooks up. The SLT's are great skis and are really designed for the trail cruiser who does not likes as little of darting as possible and easier turing effort.

Bowtie496

Lifetime Membership
Jun 7, 2010
Carey, ID
I just ordered another set of Powder Pros for my new sled. Ordered them from Paul's shop. Quick and easy and the price was great. I live 90 minutes from SLP and ordering them and having them shipped from Michigan was still a lot cheaper than buying from SLP direct or a local shop.

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
I just ordered another set of Powder Pros for my new sled. Ordered them from Paul's shop. Quick and easy and the price was great. I live 90 minutes from SLP and ordering them and having them shipped from Michigan was still a lot cheaper than buying from SLP direct or a local shop.

Good to know as I am in the market for new skis also....

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I run Powder Pro's on everything but the wifes trail sled. She's got SLT's and they are a real good trail ski and the few times I had the sled off trail I didn't see a downside to them but haven't spend enough time off-trail with them to give a good comparison. The only negative I have to say about the Powder Pro's is when there is a crust on the snow, once you break through they dive right in (much like most other ski's in those conditions). Last year I tried the "carl's cut" on my 900 and what a difference that made.... I can ride that thing on one ski for ever and it pulls to a side hill so much easier. On my Gen 2 sleds I couldn't really ask for more so I doubt I'll be cutting them up. There have been days where I've had to ride all day on the trail and haven't once found myself wishing I had a better set of ski's than the PP's, I don't really see any darting with those, I did try a pair of Grippers one day and was glad to have the Pro's back in the trailer as they went on that night.
There's so much more to "darting" than just the ski. (runners, ski pressure, ski alignment, etc).

Premium Features