• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

which skis?

10cat

Feb 18, 2013
I think it all comes down to the rider I love my slp powder pros but I don’t spend much time on the trail I boondock, hill climb and side hill

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
My 8" slydog skis are amazing! The carbides I feel the companie made really ****y as I ha to bend hem to get them in but after that I love te skis and about 350km later they are still holding great and float amazing. And they are pretty bity on trails and are Actualy IMO a better trail ski then stock too. They never wash out either and I feal like they don't push at all. But honestly you can't go wrong with any ski really. Check out one of the pinned articles about your favorite ski

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
skis

I've said it before in other posts and I'll say it again. The Polaris gripper skis are a very good option for these sleds. I've tried several brands of skis on my M and for the money vs performance the Polaris gripper skis get my vote.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
and in two fo the above posts are some of the worst mountain skis made.

Simmons gen 1, slydog 8's, C&A, and proclimb skis... all on my list of worst skis for mountain riding ever made.

Great skis for meadow mashin... worthless for technical riding.

05M7

Jan 2, 2008

Simmons gen 1, slydog 8's, C&A, and proclimb skis... all on my list of worst skis for mountain riding ever made.

even though i beg to differ....for the sake of ski threads being beaten to a pulp go read the thread that is specifically replying to your question OP

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota

We were out in Colorado a few weeks ago with a C&A rep testing different skis.. and I have to say we found the right cut on the skis they worked awesome for technical riding. A local we were riding with tried them out and said he couldnt believe how much better the cut C&As worked than other ones hes tried. He wasn't partial to any brand either. We started with a set of mtxs and cut them in various spots to help with sidehilling etc. We rode trees almost all day and we never had any problems.

zachman33

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2011
Washington
If your gonna get powder pros make sure you do the carls mod on the skis to help sidehill better. IMO I have the slp slt's and I love them because they are great for any technical riding. Sidehilling, climbing, boondocking are just easier on the slt's than the powder pros.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
We were out in Colorado a few weeks ago with a C&A rep testing different skis.. and I have to say we found the right cut on the skis they worked awesome for technical riding. A local we were riding with tried them out and said he couldnt believe how much better the cut C&As worked than other ones hes tried. He wasn't partial to any brand either. We started with a set of mtxs and cut them in various spots to help with sidehilling etc. We rode trees almost all day and we never had any problems.

I'll admit, IMO nearly any ski with a cut would be better in technical terrain.

We cut some gen 1's a buddy has and they're a HUGE improvement. I always thought about cutting my C&A's, but knew I could sell them for a decent bit to someone if I didn't. I loved them in SOME situations, just not technical stuff, and any time there was less then 2' of snow.

I'd be curious to try the ones you mention... like I say I liked SOME of the features of the C&A... imo without the hard wide square back edges they'd do well.

The fact that these comapnies can't figure out simply physics when it comes to skis is disappointing... The answers are out there, it seems like C&A is at least trying to hunt them down now!

Last edited:
A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
I'll admit, IMO nearly any ski with a cut would be better in technical terrain.

We cut some gen 1's a buddy has and they're a HUGE improvement. I always thought about cutting my C&A's, but knew I could sell them for a decent bit to someone if I didn't. I loved them in SOME situations, just not technical stuff, and any time there was less then 2' of snow.

I'd be curious to try the ones you mention... like I say I liked SOME of the features of the C&A... imo without the hard wide square back edges they'd do well.

The fact that these comapnies can't figure out simply physics when it comes to skis is disappointing... The answers are out there, it seems like C&A is at least trying to hunt them down now!

Youre right cutting almost any ski would help in technical terrain. Im not sure if the cuts will ever be put into production models, but you never know. If you ever get your hands on a pair of mtxs that you dont care about cutting.. PM me and ill give you the dimensions so you can try them yourself. Even xtx's might work with the cut.

F

forreboy

May 17, 2008
Sweden
modsskis

I have modsskis on my m8, works really good in the trees. Light steering, good to sidehill. A really good ski for technical riding. Ppowderpro are too aggressive for my taste and stock works as long as the skis are in the air

Jul 22, 2009
I've got the powderpro's with the Carl's Cut on a lightened 11 m8 and I'm pretty stoked with them! They still float in deep pow and make countersteering easier on sidehills. I could be imagining this, but at first it seemed as if the nose of the sled wanted to point more uphill when sidehilling after I did the Carls Cut with the same foot position. Could have been snow conditions too I suppose. Nonetheless, a half step forward and I'm ripping them again.

Premium Features