• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

“Expert” Edition Thoughts

J
Mar 19, 2008
What? So now Doo has resorted to literally cutting parts off their sleds, and they still are forty lbs. heavier than the Poo.

All kidding aside, i like it, and have heard of poo testing the same idea.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
Gimmick garbage. The "expert" is another 600 above the X model. Fack that. I'll take a 19 hold over for 11k ... people will bite on anything that costs more, but is no better then the cheaper version.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I know it will work better. No question about it. Just don't think it will be an all around sled when you have to ride a bunch of icy trail. I'd say it's easily worth it if it will stay cool enough.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
At close to 1,9m in length I'm probably considered a tall guy.

I put the Skinz post forward kit on my -19 before I even rode it, jumping back and forth between it and my GFs -19 Summit 600 that doesn't have the the post forward mod I can say I wouldn't even consider being without it on my sled. It makes it feel "roomier", less cramped and easier to move around on by a large margin. The sleds are both 154" so the "balance point" where I mostly place my feet are the same between them but on her sled the bars are too close to my body which is screwing up my balance a bit and offering less leverage.

So, would I set up another G4 for me the first thing I would do is to move that post!

(I also did the Linq snow flap thingy, it makes a big difference in deep snow not dragging that "plow" around, I know just removing it isn't that hard but I thought it would be nice to be able to put it back easily when needed)

Last edited:

ziggity

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
Be interesting to see how much difference the new spindles make in handling.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
The "Expert" looks interesting, however not improved enough to upgrade from my 2017 Summit X. Putting a nice shock package on the 2017 would be essentially the same sled for a lot less money.

Where is the "Factory TURBO" option?

Last edited:

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
6'4" for me. Shorter risers and smaller handlebars are a deal breaker. The 6" riser is barely tall enough for me as is. I know the whole "shorter is better in technical terrain" argument but all shorter risers do is make my neck and back hurt regardless of terrain. And the seat is already small enough, I don't need a smurf sized seat as I do sit on the ride out when I'm tired.

Also, spent 45 minutes sitting on the trail because my buddy's 2015 xm with the "snowflap mod" wouldn't allow him to go more than a mile before overheat, so a shorter tunnel also causes a me a lot of skepticism as well.

And pricing....good lord.

All that said, I'll stick with my '14.

M
Dec 17, 2016
Northern Illinois
IMO, if we just call this the “short” edition, it would sum it up pretty well. These short sleds were obviously developed by short riders. No offense to those guys, as they are great riders, but this one size fits all approach is frustrating for the tall guys. Is there anyone that’s over 6’ tall that has any input on these decisions?

Let’s run an even shorter riser than the shorter one from this year and make the tall guys bend over even more. While we are at it, let’s use smaller diameter bars for smaller sized hands. A short seat will go nicely for shorter legs to get over. Let’s also run a shorter track and not offer the 175 even though we said that we liked it the best the last few years. Let’s also try a shorter tunnel to go with it. We were also short on shocks, so you can only have one good shock and 3 crappy shocks, but we will put a nice coating on two of the crappy shocks to make it look better. That way we can still make more money on selling shocks from our parts catalog. The factory is also short on colors the year, so let’s use the same flat “lava” red and “orange crush” orange instead of using a true red, true orange, or maybe even a color that we haven’t used before at all.

Where is the love for the tall guys? I do realize that some of these things can be fixed by throwing more money and parts at it, but we shouldn’t have to do that on a brand new top end sled. The Summit X 175 that fits some of the bigger guys better will most likely be de-valued as many people will see the “expert” edition as the top of the line and the “X” as the middle of the road, hurting resale value even more. Come on doo! One size does not fit all.

I'm 6' even and I run a 4" bar riser comfortably on my summit not slouching, slightly bent knees and arms

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
At 6’2 the previous bars were way too tall and that grab strap would get caught on my BCA vest. Super annoying. Seat? Could about go with out one as far as I’m concerned. I would bet cooling will be just fine with scratchers, and on the days youre getting hot everyone else will be too. New shock package, yay but meh, “stiffer” doesn’t necessarily mean better, hopefully they get the valving right. Good news is that for those who don’t like the expert there is still an X and SP available.

I welcome all the changes, especially the shortened tunnel, I do believe it will work as advertised. This sled IMO is a good example of the direction things are going and should go.

... Now they need to scrap those boards and get something rigid as well as figure out the twitchy steering.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I am starting to come around on the “Expert” myself.

A list of things that was sent to me

4f89ea3a72c1305ef00aa012d67cb784.jpg

I'm willing to bet Ski-doo drops at least one of these "upgrades" before shipment..
Just as they dropped the "lightweight exhaust" from the T3 package back in 2015.

I was pretty excited to order a new Backcountry XRS 154 until I seen the price tag. I think I'll hold off and see what Cat and Polaris is offering.

D
Mar 13, 2014
In regards to the post about over heating. My brother has a 154 tunnel with a 165 conversion. We ride roads for sometimes up to 20 miles before getting into the powder, he has never had any issue with overheating. The flap is removed.

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
I like everything about the Expert sled (and all of the short/small bits would really work well for my 5'3" wife) but I don't see the value proposition. For the money I'd probably buy a 2019 154" SP, swap the rails and track out to 165", replace the boards, upgrade the shocks with Tom's Fox shocks, and put a shorter riser on it. Maybe take an electric turkey knife to the foam in the stock seat... I'd be money ahead and I could wait to see what the verdict is on the smaller diameter bars and the new spindles.

As for the 175" option, that's obvious, it gives them something easy to offer for 2021 and gets all the guys that jumped on the 165" expert something to drool over a year later.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
As someone who has the Kuster seat, removable snowflap and lower risers on their 19 Freeride already, I think it's an interesting option. I'm not interested in tapered bars, the limiter strap or handguards though. The spindle upgrade is cheap and I may just try them out, same with the bar strap.

The shorter tunnel has my interest for sure. The difference from the SP to X boards is pretty noticeable in the deep snow, I can imagine the tunnel would be too.

The Summit X Expert, while not cheap, is still less than I paid for my 19 Freeride.

The colors are pretty blah though!

Decisions, decisions!

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Lots of people complaining about pricing, anyone know how much pricing has gone up?

Seems to me if theres been a year of the G4 with upgrades worth snowchecking for it would be this year.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The 15 things that make the "Expert" different from the Summit X
To me, "Shorter & Lighter" seem to be the theme this year..

-5 pounds lighter Over all.

Adjustable Limiter Strap

Flexible Handguards

HPG Plus center shock with stiffer calibration

KYB Pro 36 Piggyback rear chock with stiffer calibration

Lashima Coated HPG Plus front shocks with stiffer calibration

Lightweight Ski Spindles

Lightweight Spring (front and center)

Revised Ski Stopper

Shorter 4.7" Riser

Shorter and Lightweight Snow Flap

Shorter Forty7C Seat

Shorter Handlebar Strap

Shorter Tunnel

Tapered Handlebar ends (Smaller Diameter)

Premium Features