• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3rd Shock on CMX

M

MFJ

Jan 14, 2016
Has anyone ever tried a 3rd shock on a CMX? Or is there even any advantage to it with how the skid works?

yooper01

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
I was thinking about this as well. I know you can get one from zbros for a camso and timbersled.

From what I've read the cmx really doesn't need it, the strut rod has a bushing that provides some flex.

I've been curious about results of people using it on a camso though.

My last kit was a 16 lt with tss on a thumper racing ktm 570 sx. That bike ripped and I'm thinking of building another one with a newer fi 450 and either cmx or camso depending on the tax return

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

M
Jan 14, 2004
I hadn't seen that Camso strut replacement before. I'd really like to try one of those and see how it works.

M5

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I can't imagine there is any advantage to a third shock on a cmx kit. Might actually be a detriment. The uncoupled skid will give you as much ski lift as you could ever want. On low snow days, I keep the preload backed off on the rear most shock and wheelie with the blip of a throttle. On deep days, I crank it up a bit to give better deep snow and climbing ability. You can adjust the preload to give you whatever personality you want the kit to have on any given day.

If a third shock was available, I sure wouldn't pay for it. Even if it was a no cost option, I'd only consider it if it had a lockout. Or more likely, I'd first ride one and if I saw no clear and extreme advantage, I'd stick with the simplicity and lighter weight of a fixed rod.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Even on my ARO 120 the TSS advantage is in only real nasty G outs hits.

It does change the hole Geometry of the Bike kit setup if the TSS is to soft and is a detriment unless you have a supper hard TSS 400+ pounds.
I wish I could limit mine to less than 1/2 inch travel.

Premium Features