• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ANYONE HAVE A NEW 'LECTRIC START HONDA CRF450RX "IN THE PLANS" FOR THEIR SNOWBIKE??

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
Power was great, I ran mine all stock(other than the intake) and was very happy. The other 2 got PR2's and Yosh exhausts, I dont think they would run away from the stock bike. Those two bikes were also on ARO 137s, while mine was on a 16 LT, so not a good apples to apples comparison.

S
Dec 20, 2016
Intake and forks

I just cut the bottom of my airbox out and added hydroskin material to the side panels and made a shower cap type filter for the air filter cage. Worked flawlessly all winter in all snow conditions. I also added airpro to forks and ran about 15psi with no bottoming issues. I don’t jump big and in the spring it ran like a dirt bike in the woods with no bottoming. It’s a little too high strung for summer trail riding but doable and it’s a great snow bike!!!!

V
Sep 14, 2017
Kent, Washington
I'll jump in and add my 2 cents after running a bran new '17 RX all last season:

I loved everything about it. I ran mine stock. Stock airbox, stock exhaust, stock ECU. I did do thermobob though, that's it. I also did add the trio shock after bottoming out on jumps. Trio shock is awesome, night and day difference even when riding trails it made a huge impact on stability.

S
I just bought one.

I just got a new '17 450 RX with an '18 Camso kit from my local dealer. Im way excited!! Right now I'm just doing the ad ons to set it up with the stuff I think is must-have stuff to make it run well. such as lights, trail tech computer, thermo Bob, and probably an engine jacket. Oh yeah, and most important, a hot pot:hungry:. Im not sure how well the hot pot will work and there's not much info out there about guys that have one.

S
Dec 20, 2016
Thermos bob or not?

I originally ordered a bob after hearing all about them on here. I ended up sending it back because I bought the raze heated handle bars and they come with a thermostat. I’m sure the bob is great if you are going to try and use the electric hand warmers but I am extremely happy with the coolant heated bars and highly recommend them. They ebb and flow with your bike temp a bit but I’ve figured out how to stabilize that with radiator blockage. I also added the cyclops snow bike light and the vapor dash. Seat concepts seat for comfort and fastway adventure pegs and handguards. Definitely recommend the devol racing rad guards and a solid skid plate too.

M
Jan 5, 2018
How do they do for fuel consumption? Do they seem comparable to other bikes you ride with?

My CMX kit came with a 1.5 gallon can, so combined with the bigger tank on the RX I'll be carrying almost 1 gallon less than I did on my old bike. I'm debating on stacking another Rotopax on there for longer days.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Rode one on a 2018 450RX a few days last year ... on an ARO 137. Awesome looking bike on the snow for whatever that's worth.

Was a fun package...ran well, started well. Power was good although a little peaky....being a sled guy I never know what to say about power on a snowbike....they're all wimpy but they all work.

We sell both, but have more experience on KTM's for winter use. Found the Honda more high maintenance on snow. Oil went bad quicker (thermobob and engine jacket helped, but did not solve oil in fuel), valves went out of adjustment quicker. If I owned one, I wouldn't hesitate to snow bike it, but would go orange if starting from scratch for snow use.

R
Oct 16, 2010
Western UP
i just bought a brand new 17 rx with camso dts 129. i added a recluse, thermbob3, tto temp gauge that screws into thermbob, pst engine blanket. maiden voyage was yesterday it ran flawless with temps between 160-175.
i ride in the u.p. so no altitude, bike has gobs of power. only thing i noticed is it seemed to be geared really short because i was pulling 5th gear alot but there is only 12" of snow. extremely nimble and easy to ride i thought.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I wonder why they made the tank from ti? Must be weight but I can’t imagine much savings there.

The Honda interviews I've read said it was cheaper to manufacture than plastic, faster to manufacture (since it's stamped in two pieces and then welded together), lighter and also much thinner which gives more design room.

C
Aug 13, 2018
I bought a 2017 450rx that was next to new and installed an ARO 120. We put on c3 heated bars and thermostat and a recluse clutch.

My 13 year old son qualified for xgames on it so it must not be too bad.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Had a 2019 Kawi 450 and 2018 CRF450RX on the snow this last weekend. Both on TS kits. If anyone cares...

The Kawi is an easier bike to ride - makes more bottom end and mid range. Shift less, and more fun for quick little poppers...or any time you need a burst of speed. Less clutch work, less shifting. Starts perfect.

BUT....rev'd right out running down a road or on a climb....the Honda would eventually run down and out pull the Kawi. The Kawi makes a little better power through 80% of the powerband.....but when the Honda comes on it makes a little more juice right up top. Both worked great.

New TS 129 LE with a Trio up front was a dream to ride...neither piece is cheap, but they are the real deal.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
did trying different map settings on Honda to help the
midrange ?

also were both bikes stock ?
did you ever ride RX without trio ?
just curious if the front is way soft

thanks

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
did trying different map settings on Honda to help the
midrange ?

also were both bikes stock ?
did you ever ride RX without trio ?
just curious if the front is way soft

thanks
It might but I never stop for details like that lol

Stock yes. Kawi had a trio and 129LE. RX had heavier stadium fork springs and an ARO LT. The RX front end would be too soft stock IMO. The trio is the catch-all for the front end if you want to spend the beans and not think too hard about it. I’m not a guru just a seat of the pants guy.... but the front end on the Kawi with stock forks and trio is the best front end I’ve ridden on a snowbike so far by a good margin. Plus you don’t f up your fork performance for sunmer

R
Oct 16, 2010
Western UP
update on my rx: got 14 hours on it about 3-4 feet of snow to play in and i love it. The camso 129 is easy to handle and performs great. I change oil every 4 hours or less and take stock air filter out and check air box along with oil changes . next year i will modify air intake and go up a tooth on drive sprocket.

Its just so easy to maneuver through trees and climb stuff i cant with sled.

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Yes, the Red Ranger is in the house.

b6362f18e39a0be617e0a3b29e68eef9.jpg
2019 Honda CRF450R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lifetime Membership
Apr 27, 2002
Spooner, WI 54801
www.4seasons.com
18 CRF450R

I just got back from my first trip on my Honda and man it was a great! The only problem I had was it was a super powder week of riding and I must have got moisture in something and it wouldn't start after letting it sit for about an hour on the hill. I have read on some dirt bike forum that the kill switch side is to blame.

Has anyone else had any issues with their honda? I just unloaded it and bringing it up to temp in my shop so who knows maybe it will start working. I will be looking into it this weekend and I will let you know what I find.

Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features