• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Took the 4stroke plunge and just bought a 2013 nytro

Like it says got a 2013 nytro 400 miles for 8 k so figured I couldn't go wrong with the price and could get close to that back if i didn't like it.

Definently drives completely different than a 2 stroke ..just like when i went from a cr250 to a 4stroke cfr450.. But i did go back to the cr250 after a couple years. So hoping this isnt the same pattern with the sled lol.

Cant wait to take it out but need an oil change close to 500 miles. What is recommended Yammy oil? And filter? What else is needed ? Copper washers for oil nuts? Anything else I might want to change while it's all apart?

Thanks all

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
OFT (or other similar) steering relocator to move the handlebars fwd.

Rollover valve if you have a habit of inverting your sled.

Yamaha or mobile 1 oil.

Save the rest of your money for a turbo.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Like it says got a 2013 nytro 400 miles for 8 k so figured I couldn't go wrong with the price and could get close to that back if i didn't like it.

Thanks all
Congratulations on getting yourself a great sled.
If taken care of she will give you MANY years of trouble free service.~!

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
If your happy with your purchase and plan on keeping it for a long while then do all of this:

1) Change your front suspension to a 37 inch CR Racing or SKINZ
2) Change your rear suspension to a KMOD, Timbersled, EZ-ride or Racers Edge
3) Rip off that crappy heavy exhaust
4) Add an impulse, MCXpress, or MPI turbo
5) Take off your stock track and add a Camo Extreme
6) Add an OFT or CR forward steering mount
7) Light weight battery
8) Cut off your stock running boards and add: Skinz, CR, Diamond S, or Van Amburg open running boards

I probably missed something but enough said.

good luck

P.S. Don't buy a viper, just wait until Yamaha builds a relative original sled.

C
Feb 23, 2009
? JUMP TO VIPER?

BEFORE PEOPLE TALK U INTO JUMPING TO A NEW VIPER,YOUR ON A PROVEN DEPENABLE SLED!. WITH A VERY LARGE SUPPLY OF LIGHT WEIGHT AND AFTERMARKET PARTS.IWORK AT A CAT/YAM DEALER AND WE SEE FAR LESS NITRO'S BACK THAN ANY OTHER MODEL WE SELL.
GOOD LUCK WITH IT.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Stingray the Zbros front end is a 39" +3" forward kit. Its a really nice kit

I knew that. I told the OP to get a narrowed set of arms and Harry replied he had tried them and as you can see that is false...I was just wanting to point that out as we don't need bad info in here to new guys.

I tried 37 inch and 36 inch and 37 seemed the sweet spot for me, rolled over in the powder much much better than stock, and didn't lose any trail or road handling.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
BEFORE PEOPLE TALK U INTO JUMPING TO A NEW VIPER,YOUR ON A PROVEN DEPENABLE SLED!. WITH A VERY LARGE SUPPLY OF LIGHT WEIGHT AND AFTERMARKET PARTS.IWORK AT A CAT/YAM DEALER AND WE SEE FAR LESS NITRO'S BACK THAN ANY OTHER MODEL WE SELL.
GOOD LUCK WITH IT.

Once again please keep to facts here. Have you ridden a Viper? I have as I own one. It is a "proven" cat chassis with a "proven" Yamaha engine that has had the fewest first year issues I have ever seen. Will be fun to check back next year to this thread and see what your opinion will be then.:face-icon-small-coo

Sorry for the hijack, back to the topic.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
If your happy with your purchase and plan on keeping it for a long while then do all of this:

1) Change your front suspension to a 37 inch CR Racing or SKINZ
2) Change your rear suspension to a KMOD, Timbersled, EZ-ride or Racers Edge
3) Rip off that crappy heavy exhaust
4) Add an impulse, MCXpress, or MPI turbo
5) Take off your stock track and add a Camo Extreme
6) Add an OFT or CR forward steering mount
7) Light weight battery
8) Cut off your stock running boards and add: Skinz, CR, Diamond S, or Van Amburg open running boards

I probably missed something but enough said.

good luck

P.S. Don't buy a viper, just wait until Yamaha builds a relative original sled.

LOL! I needed some humor this morning.

First,
Yamaha has NEVER built an industry leading suspension. This partnership with Cat gives me the best riding Yamaha I have ever rode and there are few Yamahas I have not rode.

Second,
Buy a sled for 8k and spend all that money to still have a sled that is top heavy...or buy a Viper for 13k or less. (longtrack and narrow front end if mountain riding). You CANNOT make a Nytro handle with an M8 I spent a fortune trying and sold both Nytros at a loss.

Now Pelon I respect your opinion but that is what it is. Above are facts.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Don't base your opinion off of what these keyboard junkies say, the Nytro is a great chassis, but needs some work.
Biggest upgrade I would recommend doing is switch the track out to a Camo Extreme, ride for a year, and swap out parts where you see needed.
The Viper looks like a decent sled, but we've had problems with ours before we even fired it up.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Don't base your opinion off of what these keyboard junkies say, the Nytro is a great chassis, but needs some work.
Biggest upgrade I would recommend doing is switch the track out to a Camo Extreme, ride for a year, and swap out parts where you see needed.
The Viper looks like a decent sled, but we've had problems with ours before we even fired it up.

Curious to hear what those problems were.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Curious to hear what those problems were.

Got it all put together, turned the key, and immediately blew a fuse. Took us 30 minutes to get to the box and change it.
Once we got it started and ran on the trailer to go to a show, it started leaking antifreeze. We still haven't found where the leak is coming from.
After riding a true Yamaha for 9 years and looking at the fit and finish of these vipers, I don't see how they past Yamahas quality..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

MRFUSION

Aug 8, 2008
Peace River AB
As a dealer selling Yamahas for 14 years I agree on these Vipers. Not Yamaha quality. Your coolant leak is most likely coming from all the clamps that were left loose in the ACat assembly plant. Remove your airbox and start tightening. You will find most of them loose, the worse on ours were the larger one on the thermostat housing but check them all. Good luck.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
As a dealer selling Yamahas for 14 years I agree on these Vipers. Not Yamaha quality. Your coolant leak is most likely coming from all the clamps that were left loose in the ACat assembly plant. Remove your airbox and start tightening. You will find most of them loose, the worse on ours were the larger one on the thermostat housing but check them all. Good luck.

Yeah I have heard that and believed it so much I went out early today and pulled the panels on my 2014 Cat and 2014 Viper and checked all the clamps and bolts I could. NOTHING loose anywhere, but that doesn't mean I don't believe you its just that I don't see it on either of mine. I actually watched the PDI on the Viper and assembled the Cat myself so I know they are as they came from the factory.

Speaking of Yamaha quality I am sure glad they don't have all the issues that 2007 Phazers I had.....lol...ball joints fall out less than 300 miles, ECU that won't start cold, Relays that freeze when cold (who needs to ride when its cold?) SX Viper in the early 2000"s that burned down if you drove them slow because Yamaha botched the head gasket (see Bender for head gasket fix) need I go on? If you have been a dealer that long you know Yamaha has had their issues. And don't get me started on the RX1...............

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Got it all put together, turned the key, and immediately blew a fuse. Took us 30 minutes to get to the box and change it.
Once we got it started and ran on the trailer to go to a show, it started leaking antifreeze. We still haven't found where the leak is coming from.
After riding a true Yamaha for 9 years and looking at the fit and finish of these vipers, I don't see how they past Yamahas quality..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what caused the short that blew the fuse? I assume you found it so that it doesn't happen again.

Premium Features