• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hard starting in cold weather? MCX nytro

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
08 MCX turbo sled, owned for a couple of years, this year, in cold weather, ( 0*faren), my sled turns over fine, fires up, but then dies after a few seconds. Continue to try and it does the same thing, but won't take off. It then seems like it is flooded and just won't start. When turning it over, it will sound like it is starting but as soon as I let go of the started it dies. The first time this happened it was backfiring a lot too.

Also sounds like it is not running on all cylinders for a few seconds when I finally get it started, and I have to give it lots of throttle(when its cold) in order for it to clear up.

Is this typical? I have NEVER had any issues starting this thing, but then again, I don't really remember having this cold of weather neither, but do recall a few times starting in cold weather without any issue.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Are you running avgas? They are a bitch to start in the cold on avgas. It doesn't flash off as well as pump gas or race fuel. When it gets good and cold here I don't even try to start any of mine that run on avgas without having a spray bottle of pump gas. A little squirt to the intake and they will pop right off.

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
It's not too bad:)
Pull seat
Pull fuel tank
Make sure your plug socket has the rubber in it, because it's such a deep drop to get the plugs in. I'll admit my first time changing mine I cussed a few times but all in all wasn't that bad.

BBNytro

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2009
Estevan, Sask
You can also hold the key in the start position until it is running because the starter is on a clutch system. My 270 MCX does the same thing. New Plugs would be a good idea. Also there is no need for AV gas unless you run any tune over 270 HP.(290 to 330)

C
Dec 3, 2007
Alberta
Anybody have the part# for the fuel filter? Looked it up on the microfiche & it only shows the pump complete.
I know if I go in asking the dealer they wont have a clue.

Premium Features