• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled wont start, HELP!!!

R
Dec 13, 2012
This summer I picked up a Polaris Indy 600, It was a deal that I couldn't pass up for being my first sled, and was able to shut up my friend about being the only one of us with one. Anyhow, I have replaced the fuel filter, and I know that it is getting fuel to the filter, while working on it, I noticed that while the fuel line is not connected to the fuel pump, the fuel will flow freely, however when it is connected it will barely flow if not trickle (the fuel filter will not fully fill up). The times that I have gotten it running, it acts really boggy and acts as though it is Starving to get some fuel. My friend and I have tried awhile to fix the problem without much success. I'm starting to get really frustrated that it will not run, my friend has a sled of the same kind and it runs just fine. The last time it was ran was before I bought it, was Jan. up in Togwotee, or at least that is what the dealer informed me, and it was in the warehouse for who knows how long before that.

J
Nov 20, 2012
I would start with the basics, check plugs for spark if you haven't already. Also check to see if plugs are wet. More times than not if a sled sits for along time the carbs can gum up, the main jet and needle jet can become plugged. If the spark plugs look dry I would pull carbs and completely clean them with carb cleaner and take out jets to make sure they are not plugged.

R
Dec 13, 2012
Ok, I cleaned all three carbs on my sled today, as well as the fuel valve (pepcock) it allowed fuel to run to my filter-pump-carbs alot better. However she still wont fire up. Although it does sound like she wants to more so then before I cleaned the carbs. Also, while I was cleaning, I noticed that the wire that is connected to the spark plug (all 3 are good and clean), the other end, was just merely some stripped wire shoved into the hole that it goes to with a rubber cover over it, does this sound like how it is supposed to be? I attached pictures (hopefully) to help clearify what I am talking about. I know I set back all the idle screw and air screw the same number of turns that they had been set to when I took them out, anyone know where I can find out how many turns they are suppose to be in case the previous owner/s had them incorrect? Any help would be appreciated.

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
according to my Polaris factory service manual air screw should be 1.0 turns counter clockwise from seat( it can vary from about3/4-1.0 depending on year)so let me know your year and I can get you exact specs.. and idle i usually use a unisync gauge to set the carb balance. if you could shoot me the engine number and year of the sled I can get you the base line idle settings out of my book! hope this helps. these old triples are a blast!!

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
If you look into the end of you coil you will see what looks like a screw the wires just thread onto it like a bolt going into a hole.I happen to know because I just replaced my wires today,lol:face-icon-small-hap hope this helps!

K
Nov 29, 2007
kelowna bc
so b4 you start screwing with the carbs that did run at some point. start with the basics. read the plugs? are they wet? do you have spark?what i do every fall when its time to fire them up i put a cap full of oil on each plug hole with no plugs. let it sit for a good 15 -20 mins then pull it over(no plugs) for 12 pulls so its all oiled up then i put about 1/2 oz of gas in each plug hole and put the plugs back in as fast as i can and pull. it fires 1st pull most of the time. sometimes i have to do this 4,5 times to keep it running but it allways works for me

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
oops Yeah I meant the serial number on the motor or I can even look it up by the model number on the tunnel you should have a decal on you tunnel with the model number and serial number on it. But I have to agree with karnedge doe's it have a good hot blue spark on all cylinders? and a bit of premixed gas in a squirt bottle goes a long way when you trying to start a sled that has been dormant for a long time. this is a long shot but check the muffler to make sure it does not have a critter living in it! I had that happen to an old 1979 polaris TXL I have, Talk about strange when it burbled to life and was shooting cracked corn out the exhaust!:bounce: keep us posted and we will be glad to help you out!

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
The sled has Pro-5 pipes on it, so I don't think we have to worry about the exhaust. It was also purchased from a dealer way in the back of their warehouse too, lol. Only reason I know is because I'm the guy he shut up about buying the sled, and I was with him when he bought it. I can post a link to what it looks like here.

But I think the body is an 88 400 SKS, but I have no idea what year of motor is in it. It has a Drop and Roll, 141" Track guessing from the look of it sitting next to my 133" and my 144". UNI Pod Filters, had a tether, but is no longer wired in. We've had it going at most for a few minutes, but then the next day it was quite colder, and we haven't had much luck since... It has all new fuel lines from the pump to the carbs (Dealer did that when the sled last ran) However I did notice the Vacuum line isn't the same tubing, so I'm assuming that it is older. I think he should replace the vacuum line tighten that coil wire back in, as well as check the others. And then maybe give the mixed gas a try, that Karnedge mentioned.

R
Dec 13, 2012
Alright, I am currently away from the sled for a couple days for the holiday. When I return I will attempt to replace the Vacuum line, try karnedge's suggestion with the oil and fuel and find those numbers for you cowboy181d. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

R
Dec 13, 2012
Alright Im back and trying to figure it out, cowboy181d the serial number on the tunnel is 1511572 the model number is mostly removed/scratched off and can only get the first two numbers of 08, hope this helps? I also hopefully reconnected the coils correctly and tightly enough but its iffy definitely the one closest to the belt due to a bracket being in the way that i can not push the wire into its hole very well. I will go to town to buy a replacement vacuum line tomorrow, reapply that to the sled, try try karnedge's suggestion with the oil and fuel and hopefully everything works out correctly?

Last edited:
C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
well according to that number the chassis is a 1988 but anymore than that doe's not jive with my book!I will run the number through polaris tomarrow. and let you know!

R
Dec 13, 2012
Alrighty so here is the current problem if not an additional problem. The fuel in the gas tank will not flow out the nipple even with the fuel line unattached, I took that tank off, emptied it, found the metal part of the gas lid that helps tell how full it is, took it out, pretty sure the float part of it is still in it, I tried for about 1/2 to 1 hr trying to get it out, then gave up on it, took out the fuel line that was in the tank by removing that nipple, it was clean, the little mesh filter was clean, I put the tank back on, filled it up with gas without the fuel line attached to it to see if it would flow at all through the nipple while i was filling it up, and no. Reattached all the lines, manually pored fuel into the line that comes from the pepcock to the filter-pump filled that up, attached it to the pepcock, started pulling, most of the time it would have some bursts trying to go, but it just wouldnt catch and fire. My friend and I have no idea on it. He might once he gets a chance to stick his head under the hood, see if there are any other contributing factors, but at this moment we are out of ideas.

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
so are all the nipples clear on the tank, then. How about the line from the nipple into the tank? does it seem swelled up at all, or overly soft? I have had this happen before on older sleds especially if they have sat for awhile.

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
If I remember correctly, that pickup in the tank has a check ball in it try taking the line in the tank out and soaking the weighted pickup in carb clean just to be sure it's truly clear....

Premium Features