• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XF High Country or M??

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Just come out riding with me... then we can BOTH laugh at all the long track sallies... Though I don't think I know any from Krakow though... isn't that like Poland or something????:face-icon-small-win (honestly, 27 years in cheeseland & I had to look Krakow up to see where it was! Nice area up there)

Just give it a try as a 141 for a bit... I really think if you give it a few days you'll learn the different way of riding it (like anything that's a change, it takes some practice) and you'll get to love the ability to do things they just can't do on a long track.

It's like riding a crotch rocket instead of a Harley... the harley looks cool... but as soon as you crank it up... they're sitting in the dust, polishing their chrome again!!!:rofl:

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
The way CO snow is coming this year you could probably save even more $ and get a F800! Possibly even a 4 wheeler, keep from replacing carbides and hyfax every 5 miles in the great CO powder this year!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The way CO snow is coming this year you could probably save even more $ and get a F800! Possibly even a 4 wheeler, keep from replacing carbides and hyfax every 5 miles in the great CO powder this year!

We're driving Jeeps this week where we would normally be sledding by early October. Following the worst winter ever... this is the worst winter ever-er.:face-icon-small-dis

bearpaw1977

Premium Member
Jan 31, 2011
Eden, WI
Just come out riding with me... then we can BOTH laugh at all the long track sallies... Though I don't think I know any from Krakow though... isn't that like Poland or something????:face-icon-small-win (honestly, 27 years in cheeseland & I had to look Krakow up to see where it was! Nice area up there)

Just give it a try as a 141 for a bit... I really think if you give it a few days you'll learn the different way of riding it (like anything that's a change, it takes some practice) and you'll get to love the ability to do things they just can't do on a long track.

It's like riding a crotch rocket instead of a Harley... the harley looks cool... but as soon as you crank it up... they're sitting in the dust, polishing their chrome again!!!:rofl:

Actually it's souf centro Krakow... betta recognize. OK, back on task. Get the HC and extra skid. best of both worlds.

bearpaw1977

Premium Member
Jan 31, 2011
Eden, WI
I'm doing the exact same thing. Got a full 153" skid and track from a 2012 m8. I was switching to a cobra track all last year to go to UP of Michigan and then putting the powerclaw on for going out west. I switched the track out many times. It's not the most fun but you get better at it with practice. This year i decided that since i have the track/skid out anyway, might as well put a big shoe under it when I'm setting it up for riding out west.

Sure looks to me like you could just swap rails but that seems like a lot more work yet

Don't mean to hijack, but what were you gonna do for clutching and gears?

M
Mar 10, 2015
It's the exact opposite actually.

The shorter track is better for point & shoot, wide open areas, than it is in the trees & technical stuff.

I ride a 141 in the trees, climbing, jumping... it's my every day mountain sled, I love it.
BUT in the trees you need to ride faster than you do on a longer track... just have to think further ahead & think quicker.

Guys that can't keep them from wheelieing & trenching likely just need some skid setup work. I do it every day, have for the last 3 years, and not a day has gone by where someone got somewhere I couldn't. In 3 years there has been 4 days where I wished for a longer track... and on those days I spent just as much time digging out all my buddies as I did digging out myself.

The 141 is more fun, will do things the 153 won't, and when you kick your buddy's AZZ on a 141 he shuts up quick about the excuses as to why:face-icon-small-sho

Any suggestions on the skid setup? I have a 2017 high country limited, experienced quite a bit of trenching in my first trip out to WY. Sled is all stock, haven't done any mods

therookie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
What are your settings on your Fox Float evol shocks. Is your High Country a 141” or 153”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M
Mar 10, 2015
What are your settings on your Fox Float evol shocks. Is your High Country a 141” or 153”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was at 120 psi in evol chamber and 70 psi in the main chamber. Just upped to 170 in evol and 110 in main.

Also tightened my track.

Discovered I had waaay to much race/loaded sag. I am a complete noob in terms of trying to set up my own sled, probably should have noticed that right away. Race/loaded sag was about 6 inches.

Mine is a 141

therookie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
What are the settings in all your shocks and what is your weight. If you search there is lots of info already on this site.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

M
Mar 10, 2015
What are the settings in all your shocks and what is your weight. If you search there is lots of info already on this site.

Rear suspension front shock 120 psi evol 75 psi main chamber

Rear suspension back shock was 120 psi evol 70 psi main chamber

Front shocks 100 psi evol and 60 psi main chamber.

I weigh 245 fully geared up

Unfortunately everything I've been able to find on this site is for other sleds with different shock systems, and I'm not a gearhead so I really only understand about 5% of it.

M
Mar 10, 2015
Also just ran it through the field by my house. Sag is back rear free sag is about three inches, race/load adjusted sag is about 6-7 inches wtf?

therookie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
Try the following #'s posted by a very reputable member
5fd8d7560109d3c129f07148ae281ded.jpg

therookie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
Rear suspension front shock 120 psi evol 75 psi main chamber

Rear suspension back shock was 120 psi evol 70 psi main chamber

Front shocks 100 psi evol and 60 psi main chamber.

I weigh 245 fully geared up

Unfortunately everything I've been able to find on this site is for other sleds with different shock systems, and I'm not a gearhead so I really only understand about 5% of it.
I would try
Front shocks 65 main/ 120 evol
Front track 65 main/125 evol
Rear track 135 main/180 evol

And go from there, your rear shock is really soft and you can take more pressure out of front track shock if your still trenching or the snow is softer/powder.

Last edited:

aphoric

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2011
Centennial, CO
I have a '16 M8 153" with 2.6 PC and a '17 High Country 600 141" with a 2.25 PC with skis on narrowest setting. The XF had 90psi in front track/skis. I dropped to 65 and it no longer trenches. Rode some deep stuff at Rabbit Ears yesterday and it was 90% of my M8, I kept being surprised how it would climb out of holes and had very few stucks, it was a nice surprise. I might need to do a narrow front end, it took more effort to ride, but that shorter track can turn on a dime and the sled feels less like a bus.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Also just ran it through the field by my house. Sag is back rear free sag is about three inches, race/load adjusted sag is about 6-7 inches wtf?

you need to pump your rear track shock up more. 150/200
if that doesnt do the trick you can always suck the front limiter strap up a notch. lower ski shocks a hair if you do.

Premium Features