• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to E-TEC, have a few ?'s...

J
Feb 15, 2003
Greenfield, MN(55357)
Hey all,
Coming from a 2008 Summit 154" 800R to a new XM, I had a few questions regarding the change....

1) I ran the semi-synthetic Ski-Doo oil in my 800R and was wondering if this is also sufficient for the 800 E-TEC.

2) I had a HPS muffler/can on the 800R and was looking for suggestions on which canisters have worked well on the 800 E-TEC sleds.

Thanks all,
-John

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
I have ran semi for 2 years in mine with no problems. Hps seems to be the can of choice.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I would run the full synthetic. No reason not too, these things use a lot less oil than your '08 did and there will be no questions if you ever need warranty work since full synthetic is the recomended oil. I'm sure there are a thousand oils that will be fine but why bother is my opinion.
SLP and HPS are always good choices.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I run full syn in mine also but when I looked at the sticker on the side of my oil tank it says to run the blend, so I don't know if you could get in trouble with a dealer if it came down to it but I was told by my dealer to run the full syn.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Go to Big John's web site and buy from him he has a good price. $350+ shipping
sledheadracing.com I think.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
I run full syn in mine also but when I looked at the sticker on the side of my oil tank it says to run the blend, so I don't know if you could get in trouble with a dealer if it came down to it but I was told by my dealer to run the full syn.

It's the dangest thing... that sticker. Factory requires FULL synthethic to meet warrenty requirments, but when replacing broken/damaged oil tanks they ship replacements with the same wrong sticker:face-icon-small-con

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
It's the dangest thing... that sticker. Factory requires FULL synthethic to meet warrenty requirments, but when replacing broken/damaged oil tanks they ship replacements with the same wrong sticker:face-icon-small-con

Sorry but this machine was boughten brand new from myself with .2 miles on it. So it has not been replaced and there are a lot of others out there that say theirs say the same thing, so I'm not sure about the replacement ones cause I've never seen one.

R

rmk01r1der

Apr 30, 2008
ND
Run full. From what I've read HPS and SLP are the 2 leaders for the Etec. HPS you lose more weight but its loud. SLP meets noise regulations but isn't as light as HPS. Either seems like a good choice IMO

D

dropitbuster

Nov 28, 2007
Terrace B.C.
Pre-mix?

Do you have to run pre-mix in the first tank or is this taken care of by the computer during the break-in period? How long is the break-in again?

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Sorry but this machine was boughten brand new from myself with .2 miles on it. So it has not been replaced and there are a lot of others out there that say theirs say the same thing, so I'm not sure about the replacement ones cause I've never seen one.

I understand that, the point is the sleds were shipped new with the wrong stickers, and they still provide the wrong info on the replacement part... not a big deal really but in the warranty world it could give a customer some wiggle room if using the "wrong oil"

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
Should be noted, you will probably need to wear earplugs with the CF can.

Thats what i would have thought because of the design, but my buddy has one on his xp and i was suprised how reasonable the sound level was.
Does the packing need to be changed regularly to keep the levels down?

Premium Features