• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

About to ride the 1100T 162!!

S

Spud

Mar 5, 2003
Lewistown,MT-USA
comon now HT, u should know a M11T will take yur modded King:face-icon-small-sho
why the break, you drinking-celebrating the TM factor? lol:face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-coo

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Sooo....
- how was the ride
- the steering
- did body shift/weight on the boards affect direction changes or did it feel like an old t cat
- did it feel like it wanted to "dance" or is it a pig
- can you fling it around much
- high t says its fast so i guess that question is answered

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
How do you load the big pictures off the iphone. I seem to only be able to do thumbnail pics.

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
Sooo....
- how was the ride
- the steering
- did body shift/weight on the boards affect direction changes or did it feel like an old t cat
- did it feel like it wanted to "dance" or is it a pig
- can you fling it around much

X2 weeerrreee waiting:clock::clock:

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
The sled idles smooth and quiet. That's nice but,

I've rode the Yamies and the feel was odd to a two stroke guy like me. This 1,100 T was very close to any two stroke in nose weight or ski pressure. I don't know if it is heavy on the front or not, but it felt lite enough. If it wasn't for the four stroke sound and strong mid-range, the feel could have been a M-8. The snow was deep enough. Very wet. It wasn't good. I was glad for what we had though. Once I broke though and tipped over and fell off. I thought here we go. A stuck fourstroke. I tramped around it. Stood on the high ski to straighten it up. I gave it a little gas and it easily pulled itself out of it's hole. I was supprised and thankful.
Ok, I said it was faster than my King, now I get it. How nuts this sled must be at altitude, Here we're at 1,200' so if it goes like this here the difference at 8,000' will be huge. There has never been any sled like this before. Not even close. I hope it doesn't put newer riders in danger.
I rode it very slow though the woods and over logs, ditches, a dock, culvert and some bushes , little trees. I like that. It can putt around better than my two stroke.
Like I said the snow was not good. Nobodies sleds could carve. I thought It felt as good as any for that. I wish I could tell you that it did power turns and carved easy by leaning. I couln't tell in this snow. I watched my son ride for about 800' on one ski on hardpack. I'm not sure what that means. I think it's going to be a treat to ride in powder.

I will be sno-checking a 1,100 Turbo LE. I might even get a boost controller from D&D. Dial it up man. We had Glen Hall there too. He's a bad influence.
He's got a lot of time on this engine. He said they are bullet proof and can run 220hp all day at both low and high alt. without changing a thing. He has a Z1 with well over 400hp. But he's crazy.

Owen

Last edited:

Aux670

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sooo....
- how was the ride Very comfortable, and easy to handle
- the steering Neutral steering, not too heavy or too light
- did body shift/weight on the boards affect direction changes or did it feel like an old t cat Never ridden an old T Cat, but in the areas we did find some 2' to 3' of snow, my fat arse could definitely change the way the sled handled by moving a step or two front to back on the boards
- did it feel like it wanted to "dance" or is it a pig It certainly was not a pig, and with the right rider, I bet it could dance with the best of them
- can you fling it around much Did not really have the best snow conditions for that
All of us were surprised at the speed. When you ride it, much like the M1000 I had, it does not really feel that fast. But when you line them up, or feel the mid and top range pull, it is very clear. I think what most folks will really like is that it makes the same power at elevation as it does here near sea level. Have any of you guys out west ridden at sea level to really feel what you are missing at elevation? To take a sled at sea level, load it in the trailer, head west, and NOT HAVE TO TOUCH A THING due to the same power levels is almost unbelivable.

I will throw my 3 cents in here.
First off, I am 6'5" and 270lbs. I rode an 800 Rev 144" for 6 years, had an '07 M1000 153" last year, and this year have a '10 800 XP 146".

My first thought on riding it was it felt like a heavier XP. And not due to staying planted or hard to keep on a side hill, but due to body position, steering, and overall ride. The 1100T was very comfortable, was easy to steer, and if it would have had another 2" in the riser, would have been a perfect fit for me. If you look at some of the pictures above, you will notice Cat has positioned the rider forward enough that you are now right over the front track shock, just like on the '11 Pol Pro and on the XP.

One of the guys we ride with has a TNytro with a 162". The difference between the two, in my opinion, is the Yammi "feels" like more of the extra weight is in front of you, where the T1100 "feels" like the weight is more below you. I felt the Cat did handle better than the Yammi (and I have ridden an XTX as well), and the Cat feels shorter than it is. The spindle and bulkhead design Cat has seems to give this feeling.

I did get a chance later on today to play in a nice creek bed, and a rather large swamp with decent snow, lined with small spruce trees. In the swamp I was able to do a few sweeping power turns (I am no Burandt, so don't expect a report on being able to do a power turn within a sled length), and it felt very controllable, and I did not really notice any extra weight. With my old Rev, and my XP, I love to do power wheelies out of the creek beds, and this is where I noticed most of the difference from my XP. I still have not ridden a 4 stroke that has the same "snap" of a 2 stroke on instant throttle, and the Cat was no different. It has great response, but just not as hard hitting as a 2 stroke. Some of this can be due to the different track length, and of course to work in the mountains, a power wheelie is not your friend, so just like the current M chassis, the Cat's are not wheelie monsters.

All in all, Cat has done a great job with this chassis and the 4 stroke motor. You do not feel the extra heft of the 4 stroke, it handles and rides great, and looks fantastic on the snow (even the rough around the edges test sled we had). I think the boys in TRF have done a great job advancing the 4 stroke with this chassis.

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
40 I believe but we were told cat is looking at going 38 for final production but that decision has not been finalized. Us guys going from the M1000 are going to love this sled! at least I know I am!

Last edited:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
looks to have conventional steering so it will feel sort of Ike a XP

Justified

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
did you guys happen to get a chance to look at the tunnel? just curious if you could fit a 3 inch camo extreme under that without doing trimming.
By the way thanks allot guys for the updates.

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
JSun and Jeff C will be posting their thoughts/reviews tomorrow they had to travel home (couple hundred miles) and had plans tonight.

Aux670

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
did you guys happen to get a chance to look at the tunnel? just curious if you could fit a 3 inch camo extreme under that without doing trimming.
By the way thanks allot guys for the updates.

Myself and JSun took a good look under the tunnel. The 2.25" PowerClaw was a TIGHT fit along the side, especially where the rear suspension arm mounted. Keep in mind this tunnel is tapered, so personally from what I saw, a 3" track might rub along the side of the tunnel.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Ok, here goes.................

First off, the snow conditions were very packed in the morning, by the end of our riding, we found some deeper snow, but it was packed (Like the snow you find here in Minnesota in late March). When we started riding the temp was probably 25 or so. By the end it was probably something like 35. Beautiful sunny skies........

Before I get into my review, I want to thank Owen's son Cord (Chief four stroke engineer) for getting us this sled to ride and driving it down from Thief River Falls on his day off, so some schlubs could take it for a test drive. I appreciate all you did to make this happen.......

I rode this sled four times for a total of about 20 minutes or so.............

One thging I noticed in the parking lot with the sled still on the trailer and the hood off was a black plastic piece over the primary. I was told there is a small fan on the outer edge of the primary designed to blow air on the belt. Never saw that before. New for this year I guess. THe primary did not change from last year.

First off, the sound. When you turn it on, you get a cool, muted four stroke sound. This sled is pretty quiet from idle to WFO. Frankly I like that. It definitely is not confused with a two stroke motor sound in any way.

I got on this sled and grabbed the bars. I think for my self the bars are a bit low, and will probably be raising them about 2-4". I am 6'3". I dont think the bars will be too low for the majority of riders though. didn't seem any higher or lower than other sleds I rode that day (2010 M* Sno Pro, 1994 Yamaha (Hillys kids sled- yea this one was off the radar low) Ovation, 2010 Summit, 2008 Crossfire).

The boards were plenty wide and seemed very sturdy with no sagging as a few of us got on one side of the sled on the boards. You feet had alot of room to move around on the boards.

The seat felt a little too cushy for my liking, but was told that the production sled will have a stiffer seat.

Keep in mind as I tell you this,,,,,,,,,,,,, This sled is an engineering TEST sled. There are varying components on this thing at various levels of the proving process.

Take off: This sled was unlike any sled I have ever ridden in my life. The power was very linear,,,,,,, meaning that it pulled hard right from the start and kept pulling hard up to very high speeds, I am guessing around 90 or so. Frankly I did not want to keep going faster as the lake conditions were anywhere from smooth ice, to hard pack. If you didn't watch it, you could get sideways in a hurry.

The power was very deceiving. You felt it, but didn't hear it. All my life I have been riding two stroke sleds that get drammatically louder at WFO. The 4 stroke turbo didn't do that, so it sort of fools you. In fact it fooled me to the point where I initially thought the sled was underpowered. I got offf the turbo, jumped on a 2010 M8 and immediately thought the M8 was much faster. I told a few others that as well. I just thought it was not as quick as the two stroke M8

Well, we lined up a couple of sleds for several old fashioned drag races. I expected the M8 to blow it away for the first couple hundred feet. It did not, it was almost dead even (with the turbo slightly ahead ) and then the turbo pulled away handily after around 50 or so very handily.

Until you ride one, you will not understand what I mean by the term "A different feeling to the power it puts out". The Yamaha turbo guys are probably smiling at this statement, and chime in if you can describe the pull better than I.

The M8 had a more responsive throttle than the turbo. It felt more nimble in getting initial power to the track. Not to say the turbo is lacking in that department,,,,,,,,,,,, again the power comes on very differently.

There is zero engine braking. Thought that might be an issue, but Cord told me they solved that way back on the T660 several years ago.

Ride Feel:

I have never ridden a sled that feels so stable and is so able to swallow bumps like this chassis does. It tracks very predictably, and gives you the feeling of confidence, and extreme stability.

I was told Cat is testing a narrower ski stance. It might not be ready for the normal production run for 2012, but will definitely be offered in the accessory catalog, maybe this year yet. So it sounds like you might be able to order up a different ski stance next year? Who knows.......

I was also told that Cat is working on the vertical steering, though it probably wont make it to this years sled, but maybe offered as an accessory a bit later. The sled turned with very minimal effort. Apparently some guys think that vertical steering is mandatory now, I don't subscribe to that, but heck,,,,,,,,,,,,, each to his own.

Leg position sitting down was great. It felt very comfortable. Standing up and pulling WFO, was comfortable as well, although I would like those bars higher.

Weight and sidehill-ability

Well the snow conditions were not condusive to leaning this thing over and carving. Even so, you really did not feel the weight of this sled. I could pullit up on one ski just as easily as the 2010 M8. The weight seemed very centered on this sled. In the deeper snow when you let off it did not dive down, it seemed like any two stroke in that department.

The weight is there, we all know it, but for some reason, I did not feel the weight on the sled. Hilly told me that it felt like a really well mannered M1000, and actually felt lighter in the front than his M1000.

Overall Impressions

I was a bit surprised and happily so about this sled overall. The engine pulls hard all the way through the RPM's, was not used to that at all.

One guy in our crew after riding the turbo, is staying on his M8 next year. It did not fit his style of riding.

The guys who were thinking of sno-checking this new turbo, are even more enthusiastic about this new chassis, and I am too.

I think Cat is going to do pretty well with this chassis.

PS: I took a few videos of the days events, even caught video of J-Sun showing off trying to carve with his dads M8 in marginal snow, and him flying off the otherside of the seat. It is hilarious, but dont know how to upload it anywhere. If anyone can help in that department PM me and I can maybe email it on Monday so you can post it up...........

I have a dozen other pictures, but after looking back at them, they are not adding anything to what is already in print, or what has been already been posted, so I will leave them out.......

I hope this has been helpful and wish you all could have been there today to take a turn at this thing. It was great fun!

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I did smash it to the bars. Could not help myself.......Smashed it many times....

I did not want to get off the thing, it is that fun to ride.

The conditions of the lake would not you go 1/2 mile WFO. There were melted spots that froze very slippery from last night, and that made going over those spots at 90+ Mph very tricky. Frankly I did not want to tempt fate.

Where we did our drag races was in a bog. That bog dumped out on the slippery lake.

High speeds felt more like a sports car than a compact car. You got to high speeds but it did not feel like you were going anywhere near that fast. the chassis stability gives you alot of confidence.

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Glad to see you chime in Jeff C the peeps on the forum know I can be a bit biased (I tend to bleed green) but I don't think I could of said it much better than you in evaluating our day with the Turbo1100. Enjoy your first ever CAT Jeff C its gonna be a dandy!:nod:

RX-1MT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Butte Montana
For all who are wanting to Snow Check give us a call we can hook you up... I personally think these new Pro Climb are going to be amazing....
Thanks Mick
406-683-6454

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
One guy in our crew after riding the turbo, is staying on his M8 next year. It did not fit his style of riding.

thanks for a great review. It would be awesome to be able to ride ur sled before get it.

could you elaborate a little more on the one guy in your group that will stayon his m8? whas his reasoning and what's his riding style?

not trying to dwell on the negative but sometimes you can learn just as much from a negative review.

Congrats on the new sled. sure I am not the only one who is jealous of ur little test ride!

Premium Features