• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Every person who rides in Washington needs to read this and submit a comment!!

N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
The upcoming (and long-time coming) Forest Plan is probably the key to all the land use issues we've been discussing lately. Dave (SAWS) can probably provide more accurate info about this. I can tell you that now is a critical time. The draft Forest Plan has not yet been issued. Once it's been issued in draft form, we'll be fighting an uphill battle.

Take some time to look here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/forest-plan/index.shtml

The maps give you some idea on what will likely be proposed. If you go to the interactive map, you can view it in Google Earth. There is a TON of proposed 'Inventoried Roadless Area' and proposed 'Recommended Wilderness Area'.

You can browse the document section here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/forest-plan/info-resources/index.shtml

There is lots of interesting info in these documents. Particularly this one, which clearly recognizes the increase in motorized use on Forest Land: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/forest-plan/documents/docs/briefing-trends-in-demand-and-use.doc

As well as the new motorized recreation rule here: http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/ohv/OHVrule.pdf

A common theme in the Forest Plan and the new Motorized Rule is public comment/public involvement. They are required to seek comment, but they aren't going to come to us asking for it. We need to bring it to their doorstep.

Comments to the forest plan can be made here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/forest-plan/contact/index.shtml Take 5 minutes and state your opinion on motorized and/or snowmobile use on USFS land. THIS IS THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO!!!!

You can view some of the existing comments on motorized use here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/forest-plan/public/documents/web-written-comments/motorized-use.doc

Can one of the mods put a sticky to the link for the comment page of the Forest Plan?

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
In addition to writing letters...
Join: SAWS - Snowmobile Alliance of Western States
They are our biggest voice! They stand toe to toe to all who propose to take away our lands. They have the legal knowledge to take our letters. our comments, our concerns and present them in our best interest. To show all those who question us what good stewards of the land we actually are.

I challenge everyone who sleds in WA and who is a member and reads the WA Riding Area Forum to:

1. Send in a comment: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/forest-plan/contact/index.shtml (Thank you to newtrout for the link)

2. Join SAWS: Snowmobile Alliance of Western States

These are 2 simple things to do. It will take just a few minutes of your time, yet it will make a huge difference. Our strength is in our numbers and in our continued stewardship of the National Forests where we and our families play.

I just donated $50 to SAWS. Donation Link I urge everyone to give a small donation...$5 or whatever you can spare. Its a small price to help save the lands we love.

My business will match any donations made to SAWS up to $100. That means I will match any combination of contributions up to $100..... 10 people donating $5 + 5 people donating $10, etc.
Send me the donation conformation link via PM or e-mail and I will add them up til they reach $100, then send in my additional contribution of $100.

Lets all join together to do what we can to protect the lands we love

Last edited:
D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
Wenatchee Mountain Coalition (WMC) non-motorized campaign

There is an effort by this group, and very likely other non-motorized groups/users, to try and sway the FS into taking away areas that we as snowmobilers currently access and ride by requesting that they be non-motorized only. The biased view of their land use proposal, seeking exclusive use for non-motorized areas for the areas near the crest of the Wenatchee Mountains, is unacceptable to SAWS.

The 'significant' area they are targeting is the Wenatchee Mountains ridge crest from Van Epps Pass to Three Brothers (mountain). This encompasses Ingalls Peak, Fortune Peak, Iron Peak,the peaks surrounding Bean Creek, Earl Peak, Navaho Peak, Three Brothers and the Wenatchee Mountains crest from Rd 9716 to the west of Diamond Head across Tronsen Head, Mt. Lillian including down to the Old Ellensburg trail to Mission Peak and on to the Mission Ridge Road including Lake Clara, Mission Peak, and surrounding areas.

They desire to back their proposal with 1,000 signatures submitted to the forest plan revision team before the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) is released.

SAWS stance is that we already have enough designated wilderness areas and Recommended Wilderness Areas. We do not support future areas designated where snowmobiles are not allowed. Adding designated "Exclusive Use" areas of non-motorized status is essentially doing the same thing as treating these areas as wilderness during the winter months. SAWS approach is to continue to share the land with other motorized and non-motorized users. If it gets to the point where we must have separate “Exclusive Use” areas, then SAWS would bring to the table “Motorized Use Only” areas. After all, this mentality should be available to both sides of the table if we really have to go there, but this land should be available for all people to share and play together.

We must make our voices heard on this issue by submitting proposals to the forest service plan stating our desire to keep recreating on those areas that are currently open for motorized recreational use.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
WA SAWS alert

WA SAWS Action Alert:

Colville and Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest Plan Revision

E-Mail: r6_ewzplanrevision@fs.fed.us

Online Comments:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/forest-plan/contact/index.shtml

Mailing Address:

Forest Plan Revision for Colville, Okanogan & Wenatchee National Forests Okanogan Valley

Office 1240

Second Avenue South

Okanogan, WA 98840

Contacts:

Deb Kelly: Public Affairs Officer (509) 826-3275

Margaret Hartzell: Planning Team Leader (509) 826-3275

Plan Revision Website: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/forest-plan/

SAWS Members:

I am sending this alert out to our WA SAWS members for two reasons.

1) Communicate our SAWS stance on the Wenatchee Mountain Coalition plan and current campaign to have numerous new winter non-motorized designations in the Wenatchee National Forest outside current wilderness areas.

2) To notify our members of the continued opportunity to submit land use comments to the Forest Service (FS) to support snowmobile access and prevent potential closures in the Colville and Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forests during their Plan revision.

Wenatchee Mountain Coalition (WMC) non-motorized campaign

There is an effort by this group, and very likely other non-motorized groups/users, to try and sway the FS into taking away areas that we as snowmobilers currently access and ride by requesting that they be non-motorized only. The biased view of their land use proposal, seeking exclusive use for non-motorized areas for the areas near the crest of the Wenatchee Mountains, is unacceptable to SAWS.

The 'significant' area they are targeting is the Wenatchee Mountains ridge crest from Van Epps Pass to Three Brothers (mountain). This encompasses Ingalls Peak, Fortune Peak, Iron Peak,the peaks surrounding Bean Creek, Earl Peak, Navaho Peak, Three Brothers and the Wenatchee Mountains crest from Rd 9716 to the west of Diamond Head across Tronsen Head, Mt. Lillian including down to the Old Ellensburg trail to Mission Peak and on to the Mission Ridge Road including Lake Clara, Mission Peak, and surrounding areas.

They desire to back their proposal with 1,000 signatures submitted to the forest plan revision team before the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) is released.

SAWS stance is that we already have enough designated wilderness areas and Recommended Wilderness Areas. We do not support future areas designated where snowmobiles are not allowed. Adding designated "Exclusive Use" areas of non-motorized status is essentially doing the same thing as treating these areas as wilderness during the winter months. SAWS approach is to continue to share the land with other motorized and non-motorized users. If it gets to the point where we must have separate “Exclusive Use” areas, then SAWS would bring to the table “Motorized Use Only” areas. After all, this mentality should be available to both sides of the table if we really have to go there, but this land should be available for all people to share and play together.

We must make our voices heard on this issue by submitting proposals to the forest service plan stating our desire to keep recreating on those areas that are currently open for motorized recreational use.

Colville, Okanogan and Wenatchee (COW) Forest Plan Revisions

This current Forest Plan revision process started back in 2002. I personally attended one of the plan revision meetings in Cle Elum in 2003. At that time there were very few snowmobilers in attendance. Those series of meetings were used to set the ground work for the forest service plans current state. SAWS has been warning our WA SAWS members about these COW forest plans since we were first formed in August 2004.

Here is a link to a previous SAWS alert on this subject from 10/04:

http://www.snowmobile-alliance.org/...on_State_Forest_Plan_Revisions_Fall_2004A.htm

Here is a link to a previous SAWS alert on this subject from 03/06:

http://www.snowmobile-alliance.org/uploads/SAWS_Action_Alert_-_WA_and_OR_FPRs_and_RWAs.htm

The public was scheduled to review the DEIS for these plans and have a ninety day comment period this year, but that schedule has been slid until early next year. The year slide has opened up an extra period of time that we need to take advantage of to send in our suggested proposals and concerns for the use of the land that is within the boundaries of these forest plans. This opportunity should not be missed to inform the FS that we do not want to see any more designated wilderness areas or other non-motorized areas as suggested by WMC above.

Maps may be viewed here http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/forest-plan/maps/index.shtml to help identify key areas in your letters.

Below are some key points to assist you in preparing your comments:

· Be specific; such as including descriptions of specific areas that are important for snowmobile use, and why. Use personal experiences you’ve enjoyed in these areas as often as possible

· Clearly describe an issue or concern and offer any possible solutions you have

· List the uses or issues that are the most important priorities to us as snowmobilers. Make sure you mention that we do not want to lose any more areas to non-motorized use.

· Use the word "Snowmobile" several times in your comment so that they get the message that winter recreation is your concern.

I will be keeping you up to date on any events that may occur as this plan moves forward into the next phase.

Steve, Washington SAWS Representative

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
$50 donated to SAWS....C'mon guys...it's shocking what a 3 man team can do. We can beat them. We need donations and more importantly we need letters.

You ever hear the letters, letters, letters, song????

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
done. also sent comment on the idaho white clouds wilderness proposal. sent cash to wssa. and will be sending some to saws soon.

Once again, more people need to get involved! it is very easy to send these letters!

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
it amazes me how there are only 7 posts on this thread. But hundreds of posts about "what new pipe should i get for my m8?" over in the sled forums. Hello?????? this is the forest plan revision!! Where are you gonna ride your sled with that new pipe when the forest service closes everything because they didnt hear from any snowmobilers???? disgust.

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
I have tried to submit a comment using the link you posted at least 5 times since the first time I read this thread and every single time I click the submit button, my connection times out saying the government server is taking too long to respond.... :rant::devil::mad:

Any other ideas?

I had the exact same thing happen. their online comment page just doesent work. I printed a letter and mailed it in. you could also email it the address is in the first post on this thread.

Premium Features