• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

97 Indy 500 RMK

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
Just picked up another snowmobile but this time a 97 Polaris indy 500 rmk for $200 bucks!! The guy just wanted it jto be gone. Pretty decent shape except its completely missing the seat and grips. Supposedly a goat ate them off ha. So I need a seat and seat cover let me know if you have one. Also no key so I guess I will just "hot wire" the switch and only use the kill switch.

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
does this look right?

I dont see any overflows on these carbs. It doesnt seem right that there is an open valve at the bottom of the float bowl on both carbs that a hose is attached to and there is just a plug at the end of the hose... Can someone tell me if this is how its supposed to be or if im supposed to have overflow lines coming off these carbs? Thanks!!

-Kyle

500.JPG

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
I dont see any overflows on these carbs. It doesnt seem right that there is an open valve at the bottom of the float bowl on both carbs that a hose is attached to and there is just a plug at the end of the hose... Can someone tell me if this is how its supposed to be or if im supposed to have overflow lines coming off these carbs? Thanks!!

-Kyle

What you see at the bottom of the carb is there so the water will collect in the hose and not settle in the float bowl. What is on there need to be there (may have to replace the hose). There are no over flow on these carbs just vents on top.

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
alright cool good to know thank you. Should I just keep the hose at the same length or does it matter?

Also when i bought this sled there was a substantial amount of oil down under the motor. There is no crankcase oil so it has to be injector oil right? maybe I just have a leaky feeder hose or something?

-Kyle

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I have found that the exhaust leaks between the Y-pipe and motor and Y-pipe and exhaust pipe let out a lot of oily residue if it isn't sealed up good. You should be able to take the exhaust out, clean it up good, possibly new gaskets at the motor if you think that is an option, then seal everything back up good with high temp RTV at the joints.

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
I have found that the exhaust leaks between the Y-pipe and motor and Y-pipe and exhaust pipe let out a lot of oily residue if it isn't sealed up good. You should be able to take the exhaust out, clean it up good, possibly new gaskets at the motor if you think that is an option, then seal everything back up good with high temp RTV at the joints.

I will for sure check that out. Thanks for the input!

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
Heres another question. under the Y pipe down at the bottom right side of the motor on the front there is a hole where a bolt is obviously supposed to go. Ive figured out that is where all or at least most of the oil has come from. What is this hole for? Or why would there even be oil coming out of it? Ill try and take a pic this evening and post it on here.

Im going to need somd misc. bolts including that one and some that attach the airbox to the brackets. Anyone know a good place to get these parts? Thank you!

-Kyle

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
If you are referring to the crankcase drain, there should be a similar bolt on each side roughly below the exhaust port. Lets say you have a fuel valve and it is left on, and for some reason you suspect the floats don't shut the fuel off well, the fuel can siphon down into the crankcase especially while trailering. You would not be able to turn the engine over until you drained the crankcase by removing these bolts.

I would question why one is missing, if that is indeed the bolt you are referring to.

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
I pretty much started another thread about a rattle that it is making as well. I found a bolt and put it in the hole and now it starts first pull and seems to idle well. I guess check out that thread; this thread didnt seem to be getting much action with the new questions:) whoops

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I would be concerned about any length of time that someone ran that motor with the drain bolt removed. This would indeed lean the mixture out like crazy if there was even enough fuel left to burn. Hopefully the piston on that side is still in good shape.

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
ya no idea about the history on this machine unfortuantely. I got it for $200 bucks though and it runs as of now. I guess Ill do a compression test on it and go from there.

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
Got a whole seat/gas tank with tail light so it actually looks like a snowmobile again! haha.

back to the question of oil coming from what appears to be under the motor. Still oil coming out from somewhere under there. Looks like fresh oil right out of the oil tank. Where could this really be coming from? I cant seem to see a leak in the hose coming from the oil tank. Also when I first start up the sled it seems to spit out quite a bit of oil out of the exhaust. Havent ran it alot or at high RPM's yet so maybe more would come out then not sure. This normal?? Thanks for the input. Sleddin time is getting close!

Premium Features