• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 RPM hangs

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Sounds good. Sled is currently reflashed and sitting in the driveway. Got a little girls 1st birthday party tomorrow so doubt I’ll get away for an hour or two to check it out but we’ll see. Sunday at the latest.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Leak down test

Before anyone does a reflash, you should first do a cylinder leak down test.

Motor Performance before the reflash...... And performance results after reflash are worthless without leak down numbers.

The big problem with reflashes is...... ( we do NOT know the leak down % on the sled Polaris is using for the mapping ).

Are they using a brand new motor ? With 3-1/2% leak down?

Are they using a 500 mile motor ? With 1-1/2% leak down that had a great cylinder finish and rings sealed up nice ?

Are they using a 500 mile motor ? With 7% leak down that has rings that are on their way out the door...... ( basicly junk )

You see if we knew everyone's numbers...... Then we could see who's sleds the reflash works on and if there is a correlation to the leak down numbers.

And there will be........

If you build a map on a sub-par motor the map is basicly worthless to everyone except another guy with the same sub-par motor with the exact same leak down.

If you build a map on a broke in motor with 1-1/2% leak down...... The Map will be awesome for everyone with a good solid top-end with good % numbers.

As I have said...... All the different results are worthless to the masses without leak down numbers

Dan

Last edited:

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
So after a few hours on the new map (awesome btw) rpm hang is still there. Looks like the next step is lube up the cable.

M1K
Maybe stupid question, but after the reflash, is the hang related to snow packing in the throttle and becoming ice? I still get this from time to time but normal IMO.

When I first encountered hang, I tested it by driving out of the garage onto a completely groomed trail. In the absence of snow dust and having it happen told me it was initially computer related and the flash seems to have fixed... or at least reduced... it.

It might die down as the engine ages too.

OTM

Last edited:

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
M1K
Maybe stupid question, but after the reflash, is the hang related to snow packing in the throttle and becoming ice? I still get this from time to time but normal IMO.

When I first encountered hang, I tested it by driving out of the garage onto a completely groomed trail. In the absence of snow dust and having it happen told me it was initially computer related and the flash seems to have fixed... or at least reduced... it.

It might die down as the engine ages too.

OTM
I don’t think snow pack, as none of my other sleds have done it and I haven’t changed the way I ride from sled to sled nor has polaris changed the throttle block. But I am leaning towards maybe some moisture in the cable. It seems to do it more the longer it’s outside. The first time I noticed it was riding back from work, which we rode there and it sat outside for 12 hours. Yesterday it didn’t hardly do it at all (maybe once or twice) on the ride out. But consistently and repeatable on the ride back. This is the direction I was leaning from the start but like to do one change at a time and ensure I know what the problem and fix is.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
In lighter snow I fight with the throttle as the day goes on. Handwarmers make it worse. It seems once you get some heat and/or moisture in to the cable you are done. Going to try getting some silicone lube all throughout the throttle and cable. Not sure if this is the sole contributor of this, but definitely an issue for me on all Polaris throttles.

T
Dec 19, 2007
I noticed On a trip a bit, not saying it’s worse after reflash (which I got last week), but I get “idle load up” so after riding somewhat aggressive then getting to some slower twisties the sled will drive itself with no thumb on throttle. Takes 100-300 feet or so for it to idle down, or if I slam on the brake. Sucks coming to a stop sign! When mine hangs, it’s at 5000-5500 RPMs.

Last edited:

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
My boosted sled seems to hang from 4500-5000 and agreed it seems worse as the day progresses AND when riding aggressively and then slowing it down for any reason.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I noticed On a trip a bit, not saying it’s worse after reflash (which I got last week), but I get “idle load up” so after riding somewhat aggressive then getting to some slower twisties the sled will drive itself with no thumb on throttle. Takes 100-300 feet or so for it to idle down, or if I slam on the break. Sucks coming to a stop sign! When mine hangs, it’s at 5000-5500 RPMs.
Sounds like exactly what mine does.

T
Dec 19, 2007
No one taken to the dealer for a fix prior to the reflash coming out to see if they have a solution or report it to Polaris? Sounds like it’s more common than one might have thought, so report to your dealers so Polaris can dig into the issue!

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
I've reported this issue to my dealer. Service manager thinks it has to do with the throttle plates having a hole drilled in them to help with idling. That when you let off the throttle it's now pushing more air into the engine than the 800's did and that's what we are noticing.

T
Dec 19, 2007
If your idle hangs on your 850, have your dealer check your fuel pressure at idle via digital wrench. Supposed to be around 58psi per Polaris. Supposedly a new fuel pump has helped the issue for some as their fuel pressure at idle was in the 60-65psi range at idle which I believe would make it too rich throughout the RPM range.

Question is, is it a too lean or too rich condition that is causing the "idle hang/ghost riding" issue.

R
Jan 3, 2008
"The fuel system also gets new sensors via a fuel pressure sensor and a fuel temperature sensor"

They add these sensors to know the fuel pressure and temp but do nothing with the data? Maybe it is an option for them to use in future firmware versions...

Is the fuel pressure sensor in pump package? Maybe the sensor is faulty in these ones that are showing 60-65psi. This could throw the mapping off.

Last edited:
T
Dec 19, 2007
Great question...! I don't see anything in the microfiche that would suggest the fuel pressure sensor and fuel temperature sensor are separate sensors not tied to the fuel pump assembly?

"Industry-exclusive, patent-pending fuel system temp and pressure sensor optimizes piston durability, increases control of fueling variability, improves starting in all conditions, improves diagnostic functionality for easier serviceability, and enhances engine protection modes in the case of low fuel pressure"

"The fuel system also gets new sensors via a fuel pressure sensor and a fuel temperature sensor"

They add these sensors to know the fuel pressure and temp but do nothing with the data? Maybe it is an option for them to use in future firmware versions...

Is the fuel pressure sensor in pump package? Maybe the sensor is faulty in these ones that are showing 60-65psi. This could throw the mapping off.

Last edited:
N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
This is an issue I've experienced as well, particularly on trails. I'd think this has to be a warranty issue for Polaris, particularly for safety reasons. Imagine if you had any other vehicle, like a car, that continued to throttle after you let off... Luckily everyone who is on here is a good enough rider to compensate in the meantime.

T
Dec 19, 2007
What do you have for clutching? Stock or otherwise?

This is an issue I've experienced as well, particularly on trails. I'd think this has to be a warranty issue for Polaris, particularly for safety reasons. Imagine if you had any other vehicle, like a car, that continued to throttle after you let off... Luckily everyone who is on here is a good enough rider to compensate in the meantime.

B
Oct 31, 2010
My sled was idling 3400rpm then was doing a little backfire and coming down to 2300, very dangerous to ride as it would not slow itself down. Brought to dealer and crank seal was done. 835km, 34hours. Probably caused by a blown belt in my case.

Premium Features