• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 and 174

W
Nov 26, 2007
Powville, WA and BC
Just wanted to share a little personal experience of the 850 with a 174. The sled was new and the snow was 2-4 ft deep. Riding terrain is primarily tight trees with a few open hills.

First off I am coming off of a Axys 163x2.6 with a sidekick. Loved that sled but was too much for my skill level and the riding area I spend most of my time. Also wanted a sled that has a warranty for the next few seasons.

My first thought after leaving the truck was how smooth this whole machine is. Very few shakes, rattles or vibes. Initially the power felt decent on the road, honestly about like a stock 800. Mind you sled was brand new with 0 miles on it. I will say the power by midday was noticeably stronger. It had me smiling at numerous points and had me thinking, this thing is bone stock. The motor is flat impressive and makes hill speed that made me think is this really only 40 more cc’s. Good job Polaris!! The clutching is pretty good but I feel will benefit from a tune for a persons riding style and area.

The suspension and chassis feel about the same as my 16’ except for the front end. It feels noticeably more predictable. Good improvement imo.

I was hesitant to order with a 174 since I loved the 163x2.6 but decided to do it because I wanted better deep snow performance without having to add boost or power mods. First impression is that the sled holds a sidehill better than the 163. When I say better I mean that washout with this sled feels non-existent. The climbing ability in the untouched is about what I would expect. It keeps going even though you thought it should have given up 100 ft ago. The impressive part is the hill speed it carries if it can get a little traction. It gains speed in these scenarios giving you a ton of confidence heading into the untouched powder. At this point I don’t see any negatives to the 174. Keep in mind though that I also haven’t ridden the sled on a hard pack or marginal snow day.

All in all as you can probably tell I am really impressed with the sled. I feel bad for some of you that have had issues and hope they are being handled. I am pleasantly surprised that Polaris seems to have nailed it on the first year of this new motor and I hope it lives for miles to come.

Last edited:

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Never ridden a 174", but am curious if maybe you've spent some time on the 155". I feel like the washout difference between the 155" to the 163" is pretty substantial. Do you think it's a similar jump from the 163" to the 174" as well?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I am loving my 174 too. Have 1000 kms on it now and it rips with new fuel map which is a must. The only thing that is worse than a 155 or 163 is the steering effort on off-camber or hard pack. The 174 requires a bit more ski pressure to help it make the corners so when set up this way you do feel it after a long day. Jumping back and forth between mine and my buddy's 175 G4 you really notice how easy the Doo's steering is. This said, once in the pow the Polaris has way more control than the Doo. I was really reluctant to switch to the 174 but I am glad I did.

W
Nov 26, 2007
Powville, WA and BC
Funny you mention the Doo 175. Had two of those with us this weekend, an 18 and a 19. Both owners rode the Poo 174 and said how easy the sled was to ride. I rode both 175’s and would say it’s a nice package and pretty hard to fault but the effort required to do the same things was considerable.

Premium Features