• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Short Tunnel Long Sled 163 in a 155

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
Chris has been building these sleds for a few years now and it is an awesome package. He put together a great video highlighting some of the products being used to build it. For those that haven't seen or heard much about it, check out the second video explaining the concept a little more.

We got out with a customer this weekend who just completed his 163/155 build and can confirm, it flat works. The sled digs its way around incredibly well and eliminates the "wheelie bar" affect of the stock length tunnels.

http://www.iceageperformance.com/polaris-rails/mountain/axys-chassis/axys-rmk-rails.html

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GdID5-L_wr4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3Bzp6n61938" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Over the years Ive had great luck with Ice Age rails and Hill Climb rail braces. I just bent a stock rail the other day. I need to get another set so I might as well order the 163" and try those out. Now, I just need to be home long enough to install them lol. I have an older post here on SW of how to install the Hill Climb braces if anyone wants to see whats involved.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Exactly! I use to run a 151 on my 141 2000 Mountain Max!
Also ran a 163 on my 155 Pro back in 2012.

But were not cool like Chris, so what do we know? lol

Cool, That's great you've been doin it, but that doesnt mean most people know anything about it. He literally said - "For those that haven't seen or heard much about it, check out the second video explaining the concept a little more."

R
Dec 25, 2015
I am pretty sure polaris 2020 models will have 146 tunnel and 155 track. Burandt been cutting his off to do just this, so i would imagine they will do it for 2020 PRO RMK models like Ski Doo did for 2020 and what Lynx have done already for 2019 models.

I really hope they will as I would love to get my new PRO RMK with that setup.

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I am pretty sure polaris 2020 models will have 146 tunnel and 155 track. Burandt been cutting his off to do just this, so i would imagine they will do it for 2020 PRO RMK models like Ski Doo did for 2020 and what Lynx have done already for 2019 models.

I really hope they will as I would love to get my new PRO RMK with that setup.
My fingers are crossed this happens for the polaris crowd. Cat has had the shorty tunnels for a while now and it makes a SERIOUS difference in ability to whip the sled around in hopovers/360's etc. Significantly less drag and doesn't ever feel like it stalls out and gets you stuck. Just keeps on digging.

The new 2020 Doo is exactly what I'd like to see from Polaris on the 2020 models. 146 length tunnel on a 155, 155 on a 163. Really don't want to have to bust a saw and TIG welder out on a 14k machine.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
So, what's the disadvantage to this? Cooling maybe? I figure there's got to be a reason: manufacturers wouldn't stick more metal out back just because...

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
Exactly! I use to run a 151 on my 141 2000 Mountain Max!
Also ran a 163 on my 155 Pro back in 2012.

But were not cool like Chris, so what do we know? lol

A few years back I Removed the plastic bumper on my 07 m1000, shortened the tunnel about 4 inchs, built my own bumper (sweep up handle) and couple of my friends laughed at me. Now they're all going Oooo look at this

J
Nov 13, 2015
Sweden
bingo.
the lynx solution is intriguing, wonder how it holds up..

They are doing just fine, a couple of my friends have the Lynx Boondocker DS with the Radien chassi, the cooling is no problem but the BRP coolers are really good. The only issue is the little "flap" behind the track, it does nor survive for long time.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
if cooling is potentially an issue why not make the coolant channel bigger to overcome the lost surface of having a shorter tunnel?

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I put a 136 on an 86 phazer that was born with a 116. This was in 88. Dumped the flap. Cut and lengthened the bar 10 inches and bolted a 1/4 thick 4 x14 plate to the rail with a slot machined in it to adjust the rear boggies. This concept isn't exactly brand new, but I can tell you it works. Added longer tracks to lots of sleds over the years. Iceage rails have made it easier. Great product.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I should have gone with the 163 Ice Age rails and the X3 track instead of the 155 set up I replaced at the beginning of the season :face-icon-small-dis
oh well, next time

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I should have gone with the 163 Ice Age rails and the X3 track instead of the 155 set up I replaced at the beginning of the season :face-icon-small-dis
oh well, next time
The X3 is a rocking track. Seems to consistently outperform the OEM series 7 track by a decent margin in just about any conditions I can find. And blows the 2.6 out of the water in the deep. Really only drawback is its a little less "snappy" feeling, but thats hardly a complaint when your moving forward and not stuck.

Now just hoping like crazy the 2020 lineup comes stock with short tunnels.

I've built numerous tube tunnel/tube chassis sleds and we always built them nice and short. Blew me away every time with how much you could get away with before you got stuck.

Premium Features