• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 MC belt squeal at idle

Z
Jan 6, 2009
I've got a problem with my belt squealing and the sled wanting to creep at an idle. The dealer had to pull the engine to repair a coolant leak and has done it since. I really don't want to have to deal with them any longer due to it being out off warranty and their lack of experience. the belt is right at the threads in the secondary, seems correct? When it got it back and noticed the squealing I removed the secondary and found the .030 shim all wadded between the sheaves, the .090 was intact. I ordered a new shim and installed but still have the same noise and creep. I believe these 2 shims align the clutches? Everything I've found says the deflection is auto adjusting. Hope someone can help without having to go back to the dealer. Thanks for your time.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
buy a clutch alignment tool for that model and check it, also check your center bearing spins smoothly. make sure belt isn't backwards (numbers should face you) also check everything that dealer touched I feel your pain

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
center bearing in your primary clutch. the center post should spin. alignment is typically done with secondary shims yes, I don't have your model, someone else chime in. check those motor mount bolts if possible, idk if you can get to them tho. I hate it when other people touch my sled..

Last edited:
Z
Jan 6, 2009
I'll go pull the belt and check the bearing, the center shaft of the clutch should spin freely? Hopefully I can check the motor mounts also. Thanks for the quick response!

Z
Jan 6, 2009
Ok belt is on correctly. The center portion of my primary I can rotate 1.5 turns either direction then it gets tight. Should it spin freely?

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
Yes it should spin freely! Have you blown a belt recently? Or good chance you have build up of belt dust etc in there. If you have access to an air compressor and a blow gun, blow that sucker out! Turn it by hand and blow in along the sides of the bearing, keep turning it and blowing it out. if it has a bunch of crap in there it will work its way out and be all good. If not bearing is possibly bad.

Z
Jan 6, 2009
Thanks for the replies! I'll try and blow it out, hopefully get the junk out. Don't really want to have to replace the clutch or tear it down for repair. I swear this sled was built on a Monday or a Friday. Only has 350 miles and has been a lemon since new.

P

peeps

Dec 15, 2008
Lino Lakes, MN
Thanks for the replies! I'll try and blow it out, hopefully get the junk out. Don't really want to have to replace the clutch or tear it down for repair. I swear this sled was built on a Monday or a Friday. Only has 350 miles and has been a lemon since new.
Did you ever get the squealing to stop? My 2021 Hardcore is doing the same thing. Got 60ish mikes on it and has done this ever since I changed to flatland weights. I’ve checked & rechecked all shims. Puzzled.....

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Did you ever get the squealing to stop? My 2021 Hardcore is doing the same thing. Got 60ish mikes on it and has done this ever since I changed to flatland weights. I’ve checked & rechecked all shims. Puzzled.....
Should be that the primary belt bearing is bad..... Some have them last a long time and others less than 100 miles, Try turning the primary and see if its trying to pull the belt or that the center chrome where the belt sits on is spinning, likely it is and thats your squeel.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Mine was the bearing when that squeak was happening. It doesn’t get better until its handled. Cat gave me a new clutch over it.
Get a good look at it and It might be starti g to discolor from heat. Also,grab it and spin it by hand, you might find it will twist and the stop and bind up going both directions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P

peeps

Dec 15, 2008
Lino Lakes, MN
Mine was the bearing when that squeak was happening. It doesn’t get better until its handled. Cat gave me a new clutch over it.
Get a good look at it and It might be starti g to discolor from heat. Also,grab it and spin it by hand, you might find it will twist and the stop and bind up going both directions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Spins easy when cold or removed but as soon as everything is up to operating temps the bearing gets sticky and the belt starts to squeal at idle. It doesn’t stop, every time at idle the belt squeals now.

It started as soon as I switched from factory weights to sea level set up. The clutch was very difficult to pop off the shaft and I had to hit the removal tool (bolt) several times with a hammer to get it to pop loose. I wonder if that could cause the bearing to go out?

C
Sep 19, 2010
Spins easy when cold or removed but as soon as everything is up to operating temps the bearing gets sticky and the belt starts to squeal at idle. It doesn’t stop, every time at idle the belt squeals now.

It started as soon as I switched from factory weights to sea level set up. The clutch was very difficult to pop off the shaft and I had to hit the removal tool (bolt) several times with a hammer to get it to pop loose. I wonder if that could cause the bearing to go out?
By chance are your weights tight against the roller and possibly reducing the side clearance of the belt to clutch by holding it open some. I had early SSI weights installed in a 2018 low elevation clutch that did not have the spider shim and had to shave some off the tip to let the weight tuck in and allow clutch to fully open.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My vote is the weights causing the issue, not allowing the clutch to open all the way.
Can u verify the clearance between the belt and sheaves?

Sent it

C
Sep 19, 2010
By chance are your weights tight against the roller and possibly reducing the side clearance of the belt to clutch by holding it open some. I had early SSI weights installed in a 2018 low elevation clutch that did not have the spider shim and had to shave some off the tip to let the weight tuck in and allow clutch to fully open.
Sorry I did mean weights holding clutch closed some with weights tight against rollers.

P

peeps

Dec 15, 2008
Lino Lakes, MN
Sorry I did mean weights holding clutch closed some with weights tight against rollers.
I will check that out. Speedwerx asked a similar question when I talked to them today. They wondered about the profile near the heal of my 74 gram weights. I'm also going to put the stock 6-8,000ft weights in and see if that makes it go away. Thanks alot for the responses everyone.

Premium Features