• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boot talk, again

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
I'm going to try these alpine touring boots next time - see pic. I've been told by Daren at the snow bike shop in Truckee that they are great except for the gear shifting part, which takes a little getting used to. They'll never give out when kick starting though.

What is it with this lame electric start now...remember when sex was safe and racing was dangerous?:face-icon-small-win

Attachments

• DSCN9966.JPG
    DSCN9966.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 71

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I'm going to try these alpine touring boots next time - see pic. I've been told by Daren at the snow bike shop in Truckee that they are great except for the gear shifting part, which takes a little getting used to. They'll never give out when kick starting though.

What is it with this lame electric start now...remember when sex was safe and racing was dangerous?:face-icon-small-win

Might as well bring some telemarketer skis with you.
Hell, half the reason I started sledding more than skiing was because of the god damn foot coffins. Good luck. Tahoe is having a great year.

Last edited:

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
BOOTs

a little heads up to Havoc owners with kick start bikes
be carful using center of foot I've got 3 rides on mine and
there's a hole right where the word ''Michelin'' is

pretty bummed i'm now trying to kick more with toe
seems ridiculous the a propose built Snowbike boot
has a weak kicking area
maybe only electric start bikes can be snowbikes :face-icon-small-dis

i'm riding a crf450 same thing happened to buddies Havocs
yesterday

ps i have pics but can't figure out the load
if anyone can post i could email them to ya ?

i really like the boots but I'm concerned about how they'll hold up

I have a friend that this happened to also. He contacted Klim and they warrantied them.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Might as well bring some telemarketer skis with you.
Hell, half the reason I started sledding more than skiing was because of the god damn foot coffins. Good luck. Tahoe is having a great year.

Exactly...but not telemarketer skis... I plan to strap the back-country skis on the Camso and get a little closer to the climb.

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
Tele skiing and snowbiking are two totally different sports. I would never use my ski boots for riding the bike. I even hate riding the sled with ski boots. Good luck with that.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
The guy who runs Tahoe Dirt Bikes in Truckee swears by snow biking with alpine touring boots. He says they snow bike way out to the base of the good slopes, thus avoiding the normally long slog just to get there with the skis. Just strap the skis on the track frame. For those that do both back-country skiing and snow biking, this could be the way to go. I'll be skiing/snow biking out in Tahoe in a couple of weeks which will be a welcome change from flat-land Ontario...The Grand Tour...can't wait!!:pizza:

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
If you're riding the bike just to go skiing and the terrain is easy then for sure you can get away with riding with ski boots. But it still sucks. Nobody on earth can actually enjoy that. How about doing surgery with oven mitts on?
If you're actually snowbiking and it's technical riding then you need snowbike boots. I think that's what we're talking about here, right?

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
None of the snowmobile boots have the arch support that this insulated Havoc boot has , it's that simple . I've gone as far as putting in a cork insole for extra arch support in a snowmobile boot and the boots still failed in support and the pegs shredding the soles .

No signs of wear on the soles after several hundred miles but I also don't have a kick start . The insoles will be replaced but that's the norm for my foot wear .

culater

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2006
Anyone looking for the Havoc boot I have them in stock and can ship out same day.

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
Klim Havoc.

I have tried a lot of boots.. Alpinestars Corozal, Gearne SG, Klim adrenaline, HMK (few diff ones), Motorfist Stomper, various snowboard boots, ski mountaineering boots.. the havocs are hands down best boot for snowbiking. I do wish they had a tiny bit more support, but the Gaerne's are just not dry/warm enough at all, even with 2 pairs of heavy socks.

Hey Chris,

Can you compare the sizing of the Havocs to Alpinestars, skimo boots, and snowboard boots? I'm consistently a 44 in Alpinestars, 10.5 in Burton snowboard boots, and 28.5 in ski boots but that puts me between a 10 and an 11 on the Klim chart. If they run small or large that would help me decide which way to go. Thanks!

T
Feb 7, 2018
Havoc GTX BOA - Thumbs Up

Rode this past weekend for the first time with the Havoc in -25c, waste to chest deep snow, windy cold ass day! They worked flawless for me...feet warm and dry all day long. Plenty of traction and easy to trudge through the snow with. Can't speak to durability just yet but first impressions are great!

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I've worn the sidi adventures for many years of dualsport riding and love them. Fitted for thin socks though so haven't considered trying them on the snowbike (that and I just really enjoy my klim adrenaline boa on the sled and on the snowbike so not really looking for something else).

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
The Klim Havocs are for sure not for kick-starting a bike .. brand new used 6 gallons of fuel .. 3 holes... One in the arch, one on the side arch plastic area and one on the ball of the foot ... The tread tore off...... All revolve around kick starting.. love the boot but for sure has to be strengthened.. bought on Friday and waiting for the warranty people at Klim to tell be what the deal is.. had boas for 4 years no issues ...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
I’m happy to report that the fly sector boots are good to go for my snow biking style. I ordered a size too big, and with some regular wool socks they were warm and dry all day today. Deep powder day, not super cold but typical for us here. My feet run cold, so I’m super stoked that they were not cold even one bit today. And stayed dry too.

However I did notice a few things that maybe y’all can comment on. One was that my feet seemed to want to slide forward a little bit vs the snow boots I had been wearing. This made my shifter a little too close for comfort, and I accidentally downshifted a few times where I didn’t want. Even with my feet held back a bit, the reduced sensitivity of the boots made me feel unaware of my shifter. Didn’t really affect shifting that much though. So should I extend my shifter forward (weld) a little? Last year I tried running the lever way up higher but that felt weird too, was great for up shifting but didn’t like the downshift much.
The other thing was that the pegs felt suddenly too small and short where I never had that feeling before. I can extend them and fatten the backs which will move my foot back a little. I’d like to move them back a few inches but I think I’d get in the way of m tunnel parts if I did that.

Attachments

• 837CE720-849A-4363-8B59-1ACD1CDF6D23.jpeg
    837CE720-849A-4363-8B59-1ACD1CDF6D23.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 28
B
Adjust and modify-away. Have to customize and get all the stuff just the way you both like and want it to be.

I have only had to raise my shifter a spline or two with my Klim GTX Havoc's and once I get back to my dirt-boots/put the wheels back on, I'll have to lower the shifter again. It is the "dance" after-all.

Premium Features