• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 bogging

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
After reading this whole thread is seems there are two bogs.

Bog 1 is related to break in, over revving, and ethanol mode. Which I had.

Bog 2 - the black streak bog - is related to over fueling?? Which I have never experienced with 15 hours.

Funny not all 850s have this. Mines a pro 163 2.6. My bros a 155 2.6. We both initially had bog 1.

No there are 3 scenarios.

1. in break in mode. Please don't bother reporting anything until in Non-ethanol mode and at least over 10 hours on the clock.

2. fat around 4500 rpm and fluttering throttle seems to load it up more.

3. on the pipe and it falls on its face. This one may be a symptom of too light of clutching so don't bother posting unless you try heavier weights or lighter primary spring first

It is condition 2 that is a real problem that you cannot do much about unless you get the new map.

pus1100

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
Troms,Norway
Is something different with the international model? Sea Level weights for my 155 2.6 RMK are 10-74s...?

In Norway they come setup with 10-72 900-1800 meters
Sealevel is 10-74. Mine 163 2.6 did the overrev bog with poor traction under break In. 11-76 cured that. Sealevel to 700 meters

J
Feb 27, 2018
Got to test the new ECU programmation today in some DEEP powder!!!

Works perfect with no Bogging at all!!!

Put back my SLP exhaust after and still no bogging
(Original plugs by the way... and I was at 23h, 500km) )
(Clutch: 10-74, primary spring 165/310, secondary is stock)

Very satisfied and stoked!

Last edited:
T
Dec 12, 2007
Qc, Canada
I have the opposite experience: 13h, new mapping, bogging down low as much as before and I think I lost power on top. 200 rpm less than with the stock mapping at low elevations. I really dissatisfied with the 850 right now .

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Leak down test

Before anyone does a reflash, you should first do a cylinder leak down test.

Motor Performance before the reflash...... And performance results after reflash are worthless leak down numbers.

The big problem with reflashes is...... ( we do NOT know the leak down % on the sled Polaris is using for the mapping ).

Are they using a brand new motor ? With 3-1/2% leak down?

Are they using a 500 mile motor ? With 1-1/2% leak down that had a great cylinder finish and rings sealed up nice ?

Are they using a 500 mile motor ? With 7% leak down that has rings that are on their way out the door...... ( basicly junk )

You see if we knew everyone's numbers...... Then we could see who's sleds the reflash works on and if there is a correlation to the leak down numbers.

And there will be........

If you build a map on a sub-par motor the map is basicly worthless to everyone except another guy with the same sub-par motor with the exact same leak down.

If you build a map on a broke in motor with 1-1/2% leak down...... The Map will be awesome for everyone with a good solid top-end with good % numbers.

As I have said...... All the different results are worthless to the masses without leak down numbers.

Dan

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I have the opposite experience: 13h, new mapping, bogging down low as much as before and I think I lost power on top. 200 rpm less than with the stock mapping at low elevations. I really dissatisfied with the 850 right now .

Dude...... do a leak down test.

99.9% chance your top-end is wasted..... My guess is.... One or both of your cylinders are well past 6%

I am going to pound this leak down test up everyone's azz until people start doing it.

Performance problems are not easily trouble shot without leak down numbers.

Do us all a favor and PLEASE post your leak down % ASAP

THANK YOU

DAN

Last edited:

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Man why are you hitting the leak down numbers so hard all of a sudden? I’ve been on this forum for almost a decade. In that time you have been pompous, but usually provided solid information. This is getting to the point of ridiculous now though. We all get it. You want us all to be on the same level as you and do all the same diagnostic tests as you. Well it’s not going to happen. Most people aren’t going to go out and spend $150+ for a troubleshooting tool to diagnose a sled with 4 more years of warranty on it.

There are some of us that would like to discuss something other than the doomsday scenario you always bring up of all the motors being crap.

You’ve said your piece about leak down number, in multiple threads, and in the process ensured that I will NEVER purchase an Indy specialties product. Heck at this point I’d rather go support Kelsey’s buisness again than yours and I’ve actually seen the paperweights he calls big bore kits.

That’s all I have or am going to say on it btw. I will not get into the back and forth with you that has ruined so many great threads.

On a related note, I’m getting out today to test the reflash! Little rip up and down the road seemed substantially leaner and the throttle didn’t hang when I let off so it seems promising. I’ll post back tonight with results.

S
Nov 26, 2007
ND
Got the reflash in my 850 163 on Wednesday, had the 4500 rpm bog pretty bad here at 900 ft in North Dakota. I’m still in the break in period 7hrs/120 miles Took it out last night for a 30 mile rip and no bog that I could find, still has the throttle hang a little tho. Heading out to west Yellowstone later this week and hoping it works well out there too

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
For better or worse, 99% of retail customers aren’t going to purchase/use a leak down tester on their new sled. It’s like people pulling the plugs on their new F150 to check gap...not the worst idea...just never gonna happen. For those that do, it will be interesting if there is any correlation to running issues.

For the rest, there are some great things listed in this thread to try. As teth-air mentioned...if you aren’t out of break in, don’t start changing stuff or you might chase your tail.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Man why are you hitting the leak down numbers so hard all of a sudden? I’ve been on this forum for almost a decade. In that time you have been pompous, but usually provided solid information. This is getting to the point of ridiculous now though. We all get it. You want us all to be on the same level as you and do all the same diagnostic tests as you. Well it’s not going to happen. Most people aren’t going to go out and spend $150+ for a troubleshooting tool to diagnose a sled with 4 more years of warranty on it.

There are some of us that would like to discuss something other than the doomsday scenario you always bring up of all the motors being crap.

You’ve said your piece about leak down number, in multiple threads, and in the process ensured that I will NEVER purchase an Indy specialties product. Heck at this point I’d rather go support Kelsey’s buisness again than yours and I’ve actually seen the paperweights he calls big bore kits.

That’s all I have or am going to say on it btw. I will not get into the back and forth with you that has ruined so many great threads.

On a related note, I’m getting out today to test the reflash! Little rip up and down the road seemed substantially leaner and the throttle didn’t hang when I let off so it seems promising. I’ll post back tonight with results.
So did you do a leakdown test?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

C
Jan 17, 2019
For all you Polaris patriot 850 guys with engine bogging I finally figured out the fix to this problem. After trying tones of clutching setups, spark plug gaps, new flash. And sled still is not fixed and here it is March now. I bought a new 2019 850 summit sp 175 and that fixed the problem. The best part no engine bog it’s amazing.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
No there are 3 scenarios.

1. in break in mode. Please don't bother reporting anything until in Non-ethanol mode and at least over 10 hours on the clock.

2. fat around 4500 rpm and fluttering throttle seems to load it up more.

3. on the pipe and it falls on its face. This one may be a symptom of too light of clutching so don't bother posting unless you try heavier weights or lighter primary spring first

It is condition 2 that is a real problem that you cannot do much about unless you get the new map.

Really? No one can post unless they follow your rules? A sled should not run like crap in break in. On the Doos I can’t even tell except the oil usuage used to go way down and maybe a small adjustment in clutching. The older ETEC break in was 300 hard miles, that’s like 10 days of tree riding where we are. I’m not giving up 1/3 to half my riding so a manufacturer can sleep better. On my Alpha it just drank oil for a ride or two and backfired a couple times a day. I don’t even like having to break the track in on this thing lol. I want them close to optimum as soon as possible.
Why don’t you add a rule that Poo sociopaths don’t post anything unless it’s new information? I want to buy a 2020 Poo 174 and I’m trying to figure out if I can handle the risk of these problems carrying over. I’ll decypher the info on my own without you trying to censor it.
You think you know what the problems all are. You don’t. If it was that simple Polaris wouldn’t be in this situation.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
For all you Polaris patriot 850 guys with engine bogging I finally figured out the fix to this problem. After trying tones of clutching setups, spark plug gaps, new flash. And sled still is not fixed and here it is March now. I bought a new 2019 850 summit sp 175 and that fixed the problem. The best part no engine bog it’s amazing.

Know what would be more AMAZING??? If you posted your extreme satisfaction with your doo purchase over in the doo section :)

I am pretty sure if any of us wanted a summit, we would have already purchased one! But we don't . . . and didn't!

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Lotta anger in 850 Polaris section.
Why?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

N
Aug 26, 2018
Anyone else have their 850 reflashed and still have the bogging and hesitation issues? Mine was reflashed last February and continued having the same issues from the first hit of the throttle. I have yet to hear from Polaris on the next option to get the sled right.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
Bought mine at 115 miles - from 115 to 265 miles it fouled a plug every ride. At 265 it shelled a motor. It's in getting a short block and new injectors currently. In regards to fouling the plugs - my dealer stated one of the leading causes of fouling plugs is folks not getting the spark cap snapped on all the way. My sled is very difficult to get it snapped on that final notch. Has anyone experienced the same thing?

Premium Features