• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha - Shock Pressure Reference Thread

Carramrod

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 18, 2011
Kalispell, MT
Thought I’d push this to the top, and more importantly give the small riders a reference for where to start with their settings. I’m 134 without gear. And started with these numbers recommended by another smaller friend and have been tweaking from there. 55 Psi skis, 50 FTS, 115/120 RTS. Currently running 58 skis, 55 FTS and 120 RTS. May add more to the FTS but we’ll see. At 50psi it wasn’t coming up into hand like I wanted. Will keep you updated!

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
Ive logged over 150 miles on my alpha 165 in a variety of powder snow conditions on current shock set-up. (185lbs before gear). fronts 63ish. FTS 65. RTS 130. Always on setting 2. Playful front end. Good wheelies while climbing and hitting terrain features. Front shocks absorb hits and sidehill great. Leaving shocks on these setting for the season. Plan on checking pressures soon to see if they are holding psi.

J
Mar 8, 2019
After a season of riding where did you guys end up at on pressures? I just picked up my 2020 Mountain cat I’m 220 RTR wanting to get a good starting point to work from.

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
The 2020 operators manual lists the maximum FTS (front track shock) at 60 psi. Initial front ski's 85 psi, FTS 35 psi, RTS 165psi. It also says the RTS QSL adjustment in the 3rd position is for technical mountain riding, allowing for increased climbing capabilities and limited transfer of the rear suspension. The FTS max psi sounds kinda low. Was this lowered for 2020? There have been many comments about running >60 psi.

I just got my new 2020 mountain cat and won't be riding it til end of January so I am very interested in this thread so I can hit the ground running.

Cinno

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I think you read the manual wrong (or it’s printed wrong) FTS minimum pressure is 60psi. Cat attributed running less pressure to FTS bottoming out and breaking the rail.

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
I think you read the manual wrong (or it’s printed wrong) FTS minimum pressure is 60psi. Cat attributed running less pressure to FTS bottoming out and breaking the rail.

A pic of the manual page with the stock psi's has been posted on other threads. My sled arrived with shock pressure per the manual. The QRS setting were all at #2. Many are saying to set the front track shock at a min of 60 psi and not max per the manual, however very little has been mentioned about the QRS setting on the FTS.

So has anyone tried increasing the FTS QRS setting to #3 to help prevent bottoming out the shock?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I have ran all 3 settings.
For fts, i can't tell the difference in handling from 2-3. I now have it on 2.
I can't believe cat's max of 60!
I seen it with my own eye's, printed in the manual.
I still run 85psi, 1,000 miles so far....

Sent it

Premium Features