• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Route to a Snowbike

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
Or buy a 250 and if you feel the need for a torque curve of a 300 buy the 300 kit. You will still come out ahead $$ wise. I picked up my 2013 250sx for 3gs last summer. I could put a 300 kit on it but I enjoy the wild ride of the 250. I weigh 210 naked and my 250 pulls right with the 450s in the sand. Just the 450 is way more forgiving if you miss a shift.

Dont even think of a 230 unless its for your wife.

2t pros- Will start no matter how hot(or cold). no valves to adjust. Hold their value better. Less weight. Which can be a good and bad really. The motor will spin slower without stalling out. Which is better for tight riding.

2t cons- you have to mix gas. You do shift more often. Plan on buying a new pipe once a year depending on how often you dump it.

4t pros- once moving the torque is unreal. More weight over the front tire which I sorta miss sometimes. Downhill engine braking. Fuel injection. You can pick up a newer model fairly cheap(Suzuki 450s are dirt cheap) Easy wheelies. Because chicks dig it if you can get it up :face-icon-small-coo

4t cons- Overheat easier, Can be harder to start(this is based off of my carb models ive owned) More frequent oil changes. Valve train that if it goes bad really digs into your wallet. Wont spin as low of rpms as the 2 stroke without stalling. I always assumed this was because of the short stroke.

In all reality I dont think you can go wrong with any of the ktm 250/300 350, yz 250 or any 450 bike for what you want to do.
Just watch ksl and find a clean bike

Sounds like you should talk the dirt bike crew you plan on riding with to also get snowbikes.

Premium Features