• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Sidekick Auto, new Ascender model.

B
Dec 12, 2014
We're seeing the same thing on some of the 19 alpha's. R&D is on the snow this week, addressing this issue. Can I get you to send in a tech-support request: joel@boondockers.com, and we'll follow up ASAP!

I did get in contact with tech support That is why I ride boondocker. If there is an issue you guys take time to take notice and start trying to get the problem fixed. Thanks a lot! looking forward to hearing from you guys!

nw-sickboy

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
Meridian ID
Really hoping they get this dialed in for cats as I am in the same boat. The sidekicks on the axys in my group rip and have been generally trouble free.

T
Dec 14, 2011
Bozeman, MT
Did boondockers newest tune, complete garbage. Fell on its face all day in deep snow. Bog that causes getting thrown over the bars is gone but sounds like a fouled plug when gets loaded up. Convinced that the exhaust is causing most of this issue. Got the adjustable box on it today and played with number but can't get that area in mid range to go away with exhaust covered in snow. Going to start modifying a side dump or hopefully a tunnel dump if we can move some things around. Anyone know of a tunnel dump exhaust on this chassis and have pictures dealing with oil reservoir?

Im shocked that boondocker really doesn't put in any time with this kit and then comes out with this tune. Sled wouldn't run if the exhaust was covered, multiple times getting stuck skis in the air. Uncover the exhaust while it was stuck and bam, she didn't even need a ski tug. Air vents were clear before loosing power. Anyone else try new tune and experience this?

S

skidder

Jan 25, 2010
Did boondockers newest tune, complete garbage. Fell on its face all day in deep snow. Bog that causes getting thrown over the bars is gone but sounds like a fouled plug when gets loaded up. Convinced that the exhaust is causing most of this issue. Got the adjustable box on it today and played with number but can't get that area in mid range to go away with exhaust covered in snow. Going to start modifying a side dump or hopefully a tunnel dump if we can move some things around. Anyone know of a tunnel dump exhaust on this chassis and have pictures dealing with oil reservoir?

Im shocked that boondocker really doesn't put in any time with this kit and then comes out with this tune. Sled wouldn't run if the exhaust was covered, multiple times getting stuck skis in the air. Uncover the exhaust while it was stuck and bam, she didn't even need a ski tug. Air vents were clear before loosing power. Anyone else try new tune and experience this?
I installed the adjustable box and new tune and it was much better, I agree it sounds like its loading up but it does not hesitate. much better then going over the bars. This is much less then expected from a boondocker product.

ACTM7

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2008
Which turbo

If you have bog or poor running is it with boondocker new turbo or the previous with garret ? I have garret an it’s been perfect.

B
Dec 12, 2014
If you have bog or poor running is it with boondocker new turbo or the previous with garret ? I have garret an it’s been perfect.

I have the Garret and mine is having some bog issues. I believe both BD turbo and Garret are having some issues. Ive thought for a long time it could actually be something to do with cat mapping because I'm pretty sure the stock sled before I put turbo on would cut out or bog from time to time. Boondocker has it figured out on Skidoo and Polaris so i highly doubt they would mess up a tune that bad for cat. I believe they are doing their best to retune and get the low end cleaned up. Some great guys over at Boondocker.

T
Dec 14, 2011
Bozeman, MT
I think we are the R&D. I seized a motor on the Alpha last Monday and should have it back together possibly Thursday. But Im leaning on leaving the BD off the cat. They don't have solutions and season is half over, this kit hasn't ran since day one and I don't expect it to be fixed with a new set of pistons/cylinders. Air box needs some serious time spent developing a decent deep snow fix. They either don't have enough people concerned with the bog or they just don't care enough to worry about it

T
Dec 14, 2011
Bozeman, MT
My dealer put adjustable box on it but I didn't have any part in adjusting it. There was never an EGT gage installed as sidekicks don't come with it. Still waiting to hear what else they will do to fix it. If I haven't turned it back to stock before poker run you'll have to ride it and see what you think. Rode stock demo last weekend and it was the most fun Id had all year having something that had reliable power when needed. I learned to stay away from the tight trees with this BD kit

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
You and Coulter have had really bad luck. That is why I am riding mine stock for the year. I don't know how they can just start adjusting the box without egts or an air fuel gauge unless they got it from boondockers. I would drop it off and tell junior or jarred to fix it.

D
Mar 14, 2018
Hi guys. Bought this sidekick turbo at the start of the season and still haven’t installed it because of the issues all posted want it to be right before it goes on my 18 Mc wondering if anyone out there has install a pot shim alone to lower the compression just a bit to stop the detonation issue not sure what consequences it may have on port timing though

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey everyone. I haven't been on here in a while. I have seen several folks discussing the bog in the Cat. Have you gotten the update? Bog gone and crisp and super nice. The Cat update has been out for about a month now.

HCR10

Premium Member
Jan 21, 2011
Draper UT
www.comfortchampions.com
Just my 2 cents on the Suzuki motor with turbo they would load up and bog a little so what i found fixed that problem was cutting the stinger out of the stock pipe. If you can get your hands on a stock pile it might be worth trying without a stinger we all know turbos like good air flow and that really changes how it flows through the turbo. Also I would call Volk i know he has got them running good and probably has the answer.

S

sidewinder

Mar 28, 2009
Grangeville ID
Bought a used 18 mountain cat 162 with Boondocker Sidekick Auto two weeks ago and have logged a couple hundred miles so far at elevations from 3400 feet to 8500 feet. So far, I would say this is the most fun and sorted out turbo I've ever been around. Fuel mix is a huge deal on this sled if you ask me. Too much octane at elevation and it loses the bottom end snappiness. I started at 50/50 just as Boondocker recommends and was 60/40 91 non eth/100LL today and even at 3400 feet never tripped det sensor. Great product and the sled flat rips.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
Bought a used 18 mountain cat 162 with Boondocker Sidekick Auto two weeks ago and have logged a couple hundred miles so far at elevations from 3400 feet to 8500 feet. So far, I would say this is the most fun and sorted out turbo I've ever been around. Fuel mix is a huge deal on this sled if you ask me. Too much octane at elevation and it loses the bottom end snappiness. I started at 50/50 just as Boondocker recommends and was 60/40 91 non eth/100LL today and even at 3400 feet never tripped det sensor. Great product and the sled flat rips.

What boost they run?

S

sidewinder

Mar 28, 2009
Grangeville ID
The boost is variable based on altitude and temp so there is no gauge, tuning or screwing around. I have a boosted m7 and when it runs, its pretty good. But it's so temperamental and takes constant adjustment that I never ride it. The only adjustment you can make on the Boondocker Sidekick Auto is fuel mix ratio. From what I gather talking to the tech's at BD it should run anywhere from 3 lbs. to about 7. Don't quote me on that but it's what I was led to believe. Riding the sled I would say that it runs a solid 7 lbs. at altitude, not even in the same ballpark as a non boosted mod 800.

Premium Features