• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lightweight Lithium Batteries

T
Dec 19, 2007
I tried the WPS Lithium battery in my 800 Pro-S last year, when real cold out (say lower than 20F) it would not start the snowmobile.

Wondering if the EarthX battery is any better for cold weather starting?

Looking to see who has tried one in the cold extremes and how well it worked.

Thanks!

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Lithium batteries don't work well in frigid cold temps because they are based on a chemical reaction. Said chemical reactions slow down as the temps drop. You either have to warm them up internally by leaving the ignition on if you have electric start or keep trying to draw a current from them and warm them up by other means. On my sled with electric start, It would not even make a sound when i left my sled outside with temps down at 17 F However in about ten minutes later after turning the key on and trying to start the sled is was running. Other people have hooked a grip warmer to a toggle switch in the battery compartment flip the switch it slowly tries to draw current and as it draws more and more power warming up the interior of the battery the grip heater warms the outside of the battery. So one will never work any better then another. They are all based on the same chemical reaction.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Premium Features